Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Murica  (Read 79118 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 15:32:20 »

No, what you're seeing is that most people are literally posting a black image. It isn't because of the hashtag used. So what you're "seeing" is what you're supposed to be seeing. Also I can vouch for it because one of my posts has a video and is tagged with #BlackLivesMatter and you can definitely see the video.

Also don't necessarily agree with your comment about people doing it to "feel better". There will always be a section of people that do of course but I don't think that's a consensus. Not when a lot of the people posting are black.

Short of flying out to the USA, protesting or paying to donate to certain charities, is there really any problem with people showing online support on top of may be doing other things too (like calling people out for their enabled closet racism, et al)? Especially when considering that we are in a pandemic, so online has become even more of the go to tool as a visual presence in making a stand. Mass protest in public is more difficult for obvious reasons and have no issue with an online statement of support.

Have you called it out when there have been instances here on the TEF?

Nothing to see here
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 15:39:24 »

The thing is if Trump had taken note of the repeated calls, particularly after mass shootings by white supremacists, to establish a domestic terrorism law, he could ban them but he decided not to do so, I wonder why?
White supremacists and far-right extremists are now responsible for the vast majority of terrorism in the US and have been for the past decade:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/addressing-national-security-threat-white-supremacist-terrorism

The article is from 6 months ago, so given there have been several far right killings since then, the proportion of 73% of terrorist-related deaths attributable to the far-right is likely to have increased since then.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 15:59:04 »

Thank you for your essay. I’m aware of how Instagram works - if you search #blacklivesmatter, rather than seeing footage or things useful to the cause you see black screens due to people using the tag to offer support/virtue signal (depending on your outlook). Doing so diluted the actual’ blm messaging

Those far away could always post without the tag, or donate to one of the hundreds of charities supporting the cause

I did mention this above. Whether you chose to read it is another matter. However, we are also in a pandemic and not everyone has a job now, let alone the disposable income to donate at this moment. Although people should - if they can afford to do so. Not everyone can.

If you're so aware of how "it" works then you'll know that the posting of black screens is being widely supported. There are other hashtags you can look at if you want to explore more BLM posts; it isn't exclusive to just #BlackLivesMatter but then you'd know that, wouldn't you?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 16:06:25 »

Have you called it out when there have been instances here on the TEF?

Yes. Although online can sometimes be a shit place to be and when you have family members in real life that need calling out, then sometimes that important discussion comes first.

'Incessant Nonsense'

JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 16:16:30 »

Yes. Although online can sometimes be a shit place to be and when you have family members in real life that need calling out, then sometimes that important discussion comes first.

Noted.  The point made earlier was a good one in my view. Adopting images on social media accounts because you think you should is one thing, but it's all very hollow, if in reality, that's the full extent of your 'condemnation'.

Nothing to see here
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 16:24:16 »

I did mention this above. Whether you chose to read it is another matter. However, we are also in a pandemic and not everyone has a job now, let alone the disposable income to donate at this moment. Although people should - if they can afford to do so. Not everyone can.

If you're so aware of how "it" works then you'll know that the posting of black screens is being widely supported. There are other hashtags you can look at if you want to explore more BLM posts; it isn't exclusive to just #BlackLivesMatter but then you'd know that, wouldn't you?

Im not saying don’t post a black screen in support. I’m saying that tagging it with #blm prevents actual blm content from being as accessible - which is what has happened

Things get better but they never get good
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 16:24:36 »

Noted.  The point made earlier was a good one in my view. Adopting images on social media accounts because you think you should is one thing, but it's all very hollow, if in reality, that's the full extent of your 'condemnation'.

Agreed and people should do more. Opening up a discussion and adopting images/supporting a movement via social media is a good starting point; today it is one of the largest ways to gain exposure (even more so in this environment).

Sometimes people can't always do more (esp. financially) and genuinely feel helpless. But they can at least start a discussion and if that happens to be online? So be it. One would hope that those conversations can spill into their real lives and to families, friends, colleagues and so on.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 16:40:11 »

Well that’s today’s sermon done with quite early I suppose
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 16:56:47 »

It'll all be forgotten tomorrow anyway when the next Facebook fad comes along.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 17:38:51 »

Its fucked up, and neither side are covering themselves in glory.

It's plain and clear that black people are targeted for no reason other than the color of their skin, but then you see all the looting and violence that a select few cause and its like...come on! really?

I also feel sorry for Law Enforcement because the actions of a few tars everyone with the same brush and all of a sudden every single one is in the wrong in the eyes of some.

Its a lose lose situation and Trump isn't helping the situation.

Many of us can remember the riots in St Paul's, Handsworth & Toxteth in the early 80's

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 19:40:00 »

Well that’s today’s sermon done with quite early I suppose

It's not Sunday. I practice what I preach  Wink

It'll all be forgotten tomorrow anyway when the next Facebook fad comes along.

Not for me it won't.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Valid Pint

« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 21:02:01 »

Je suis Charlie
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 21:44:13 »

This annoys me no end. The spreading of fake news. The thing is, people lap it up. I don't need snopes to tell me that guy was no FBI agent.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fbi-agent-arrested-protests/

It just intentionally fuels an allready raging fire.

Disclaimer: What happened in that video was still wrong
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 21:55:31 »

It’s all a bit weird here.  In the town where we live they had a protest in the main square but it was all very civil with Police and Protestors mingling.  Which is weird itself, because overt racism is just around the corner here.  So for anyone wondering why they powder keg set off, it’s because there are still plenty of public racists here, it’s not a big leap to see some of those people may join the police.

Trump is loved by a small but not insignificant group, usually white and usually no higher than a High School education.  That’s not a stereotype, it’s real.  It is a group that the USA forgot about when all the jobs where automated or offshored.  That is not to say they’ve had it tough, it’s a new phenomenon, but it created a sense of being shat on, not unlike the centuries of shit the African Americans have taken to a much worse extent.  You now have two groups fighting to be the ones most downtrodden and it’s ugly.

I doubt Trump wins this time. The middle ground will likely pop out to vote against him, but his ability to motivate a small group of voters can’t be ignored.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 22:56:01 »

Im not saying don’t post a black screen in support. I’m saying that tagging it with #blm prevents actual blm content from being as accessible - which is what has happened

Sorry BD only just seen this. Seems like we posted at pretty much the same time.

Yes, I agree with what you mean I think possibly it came across a little differently in the original message. I have largely used the #BlackOutTuesday for the black screens and asked others to do so too. Only in the video have I kept the #BlackLivesMatter tag.

Anyway, I'll be auctioning off one of my black & white prints from tomorrow and all proceeds will go to SARI. So once the link is up, even if you're not a fan of my photography. I invite you all to bid. If you can afford to do so.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: