Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, What Happens . . .  (Read 419861 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 10:31:18 »

Ah. That explains it. Ta.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 10:39:02 »

TBH I think Power has lots of fingers in lots of pies, probably will have a cash flow problem though, definately going to be challenging times for him and the club and all of lower league football too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 11:06:48 »

We could be better off than most as we have just got a chunk of season ticket money in. Clubs that haven't started season ticket sales yet will be running on fumes. I listened to the Price of Football podcast on this subject earlier this week, they reckoned it would cost c £15m to replace the lost income for the 4/5 games remaining for all L1 and L2 clubs (which are the clubs most at risk) i.e. it would cost each PL club £750k to make a solidarity payment to keep the bottom 2 divisions going. Or possibly the PL itself which apparently had cash reserves of over £1bn at the start of the season might dip in to help out.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 11:12:48 »

We could be better off than most as we have just got a chunk of season ticket money in. Clubs that haven't started season ticket sales yet will be running on fumes. I listened to the Price of Football podcast on this subject earlier this week, they reckoned it would cost c £15m to replace the lost income for the 4/5 games remaining for all L1 and L2 clubs (which are the clubs most at risk) i.e. it would cost each PL club £750k to make a solidarity payment to keep the bottom 2 divisions going. Or possibly the PL itself which apparently had cash reserves of over £1bn at the start of the season might dip in to help out.
Therein lies the problem, the Premier League, who never make money available further down the ladder to help out anyone.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 11:15:46 »

Therein lies the problem, the Premier League, who never make money available further down the ladder to help out anyone.
I think they may have to this time, or risk the English football pyramid as we know it just collapsing. That's a lot of cheap lower league talent they will miss out on if that happens, it will certainly cost them more than £750k each to replace from abroad. Assuming they even can buy in from abroad in a post-virus, post-Brexit world.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 11:45:00 »

they reckoned it would cost c £15m to replace the lost income for the 4/5 games remaining for all L1 and L2 clubs (which are the clubs most at risk)

What about the Championship, with the wages there compared to the revenues I wonder whether this is the real ticking time bomb!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 11:47:35 »

What about the Championship, with the wages there compared to the revenues I wonder whether this is the real ticking time bomb!
Yes I thought that too. They didn't discuss that, frustratingly, just what kind of bailout the bottom two divisions would need and how (comparatively) easy it would be to provide it and how the PL clubs would largely be all right (for now). But if this goes on for 6 months or more, it could start to impact PL clubs as well - large contracts and no income, although a lot of those contracts are heavily incentivised so with no matches being played it would just be base salary they need to pay out

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 19:33:06 »

Latest from the EFL

‘The EFL Board met today to discuss the implications of the COVID-19 outbreak for the League and its Clubs.

After receiving a detailed brief on a number of matters, the Board reaffirmed that the health and well-being of EFL staff, players, Club employees and supporters would remain central to all decisions in these fast-changing circumstances.

The EFL Board also acknowledges the positive role that member Clubs are playing in community solidarity, especially in supporting the vulnerable at this time.

2019/20 SEASON SCHEDULE

The primary objective, in order to protect competition integrity, is to deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season, subject to the over-riding priority around health and well-being. Plans continue to be developed on the agreed principle that it is in the best interests of the EFL and Clubs to complete the current season at the appropriate time.

The EFL is continuing regular dialogue with the Government and relevant health authorities and, as and when more information is known regarding the scale and extent of the coronavirus outbreak in this country, a decision will be taken on the resumption of the League’s fixtures.

Conversations will continue with the EFL’s counterparts at the FA, the Premier League, the PFA and the LMA to ensure football achieves a joined-up and collaborative approach.

FINANCIAL SUPPORT

As part of the League’s continued contingency planning, the Board heard the comments and observations from EFL Clubs, before discussing a number of issues including the current financial position and implications, insurance, regulatory matters and broadcasting arrangements.

Discussions centred on financial relief for Clubs in the short term and while there is no one single solution, measures are to be put in place to immediately assist with cash flow via a £50million short-term relief package.

This fund consists of the remaining Basic Award payments being advanced to Clubs immediately, with the remainder made up through interest-free loan facility available to Clubs, calculated in line with the EFL’s Article of Associations.

The cash injection is included as part of a series of measures, that includes potential Government support to help Clubs and their associated businesses through this period of uncertainty.  The EFL welcomes last night’s announcement made by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, and is continuing discussions to understand how our Clubs can access the funding made available to support businesses.

In addition, we will continue our discussions with our football partners to determine how we can all get through this difficult, challenging and unprecedented situation.

CONTINGENCY PLANNING

The EFL, through a dedicated taskforce, continues to review the threat posed by the coronavirus pandemic, and its impact on our Clubs and competitions.

Alongside ensuring the 2019/20 season reaches a successful conclusion, protecting the EFL and its Clubs is a key priority for the EFL Board, who have today agreed on the following objectives to support future decision-making:

Ensure the health and well-being of our Clubs’ employees, supporters and communities
Make a positive contribution to the UK’s efforts to tackle coronavirus
Protect the EFL’s financial model and Club finances
Enable the EFL to continue to function as a business
Deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season’
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 19:40:26 »

Not STFC related but....

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-ask-players-and-staff-take-50-cent-wage-cut-due-coronavirus-2493718

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 19:42:37 »

Latest from the EFL
Fair play that £50m could make a big difference to a lot of clubs. Suspect it's not quite enough still though, and again, would be nice to see the PL chucking in a few crumbs from down the back of their sofas. Could save L1 and L2 without breaking a sweat
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 19:59:01 »

On a brighter note

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51943721

(Not a criticism of Hearts I get that they operate in a completely different financial landscape)
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 15:18:09 »

Coronavirus: English football suspension extended until at least 30 April - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51962751

Dale Vince at his finest suggesting the EFL season could have been finished? I thought their season ended a while ago.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, March 19, 2020, 19:54:08 »

All L2 clubs to get £284,000 from the EFL
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 16:43:08 »

Fair play that £50m could make a big difference to a lot of clubs. Suspect it's not quite enough still though, and again, would be nice to see the PL chucking in a few crumbs from down the back of their sofas. Could save L1 and L2 without breaking a sweat
Or the FA...they are only ever good at ripping the wallets off fans.

Clems Army!
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 12:02:30 »

So what happens.......  On a Saturday afternoon,  no footy, no pub....divorce cases are sure to rocket over the coming months !!!!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: