Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wellens new deal  (Read 14555 times)
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 14:08:19 »

Well deserved after he's done a great job so far. Really happy with this. Now all we need is a training ground and he'll have all he wants for the long term
REDBUCK

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 14:09:41 »

Good news, hopefully challenging for top two of league one come renewal time with crowds and infrastructure at that level.

After that who knows, money needed for championship seems beyond us and power currently

Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 14:12:24 »

Fantastic news. Hopefully some of the promising squad of players will follow suit and and sign new deals in the summer.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 14:13:03 »

Yes, good news.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 14:16:45 »

Brilliant news. This bloke is the footballing equivalent of an electronic magnet in a scrapyard. The players and agents who will be banging on his door, emailing and phoning him when we go up is not to be underestimated. Success breeds success and we are on an upward trajectory. Championship here we come
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 14:41:08 »

I am less worried about Blackpool trying to entice Wellens away at the moment than I am that Sunderland/Ipswich/Peterborough/Portsmouth/Barnsley/Stoke/Wigan/Middlesborough will come hunting for a new manager in the Summer when they get relegated from the Championship/not promoted from L1 come May when we have been promoted as champions.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 14:44:49 »

Excellent news with a well earned pay rise I'd imagine.

Sent from my Mi A1
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 14:54:37 »

Good news and suggests he’s been given assurances that resources will be available to him.

I stupidly thought this would be treated as good news by all of our fans but some have been moaning that he’ll be expensive to sack now or should only ever be a 1 year deal. Nothing like a glass half empty....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 15:01:31 »

Good news and suggests he’s been given assurances that resources will be available to him.

I stupidly thought this would be treated as good news by all of our fans but some have been moaning that he’ll be expensive to sack now or should only ever be a 1 year deal. Nothing like a glass half empty....

They're the balls you'll need to juggle with something like this, so for example Colin Calderwood had a contract extension earlier this season and was then sacked.  If we do go up it does make it difficult for a bigger fish to come in the summer, not impossible but we'd get decent compo.

I wonder what will happen with Noel Hunt..... when Wellens signed I was dubious about Hunt as he was a Power pick with no obvious connection to Wellens, who said he wanted experience.  But they seem to work well together....
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 15:05:21 »

They're the balls you'll need to juggle with something like this, so for example Colin Calderwood had a contract extension earlier this season and was then sacked.  If we do go up it does make it difficult for a bigger fish to come in the summer, not impossible but we'd get decent compo.

I wonder what will happen with Noel Hunt..... when Wellens signed I was dubious about Hunt as he was a Power pick with no obvious connection to Wellens, who said he wanted experience.  But they seem to work well together....
I’d forgotten that. I always assumed Hunt was a Wellens man. As you say, they seem to gel well.

Successful Managers, like players, are always liable to get headhunted.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 15:07:26 »

But Wellens has Tommy Wright too. I doubt Hunt treats himself as senior to Wright....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 15:08:40 »

No, Power said Noel Hunt was a long term friend of Paul Jewells, and Wellens was well known to Paul Jewell, both came from the Jewell connection and apparently had known each other for many years on coaching courses, it wasn't just Powers doing.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 15:09:30 »

I’d forgotten that. I always assumed Hunt was a Wellens man. As you say, they seem to gel well.

Successful Managers, like players, are always liable to get headhunted.
Our coaching set up is excellent at the moment. As well as Wellens, Hunt and Wright you have Jewell in the background and even Mildenhall is very active during matches which makes a change from most keeper coaches.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 15:54:49 »

It's taken me 3½ hours to spot this.  Fantastic news!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 16:08:03 »

Well, maybe his signing a new contract also shows his belief in the infrastructure of the club is a real goer - with the training ground being his priority. He’s banged on about the lack of decent facilities so he must have an assurance things will change.
I thought that too. So you're probably wrong Smiley

Best news in ages, certainly our best signing in ages.

Just waiting for "someone" to point out how well it went last time we signed up a well-regarded young manager on a long term deal Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: