Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Messenger Apps for kids  (Read 1928 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 15:35:56 »

Firstly apologies that I am turning into 4D  Cheesy

Our 6 year old has an old mobile phone of mine that she plays games on, there is no sim in it. WE have developed a habit of her messaging my missus on my phone (via Facebook messenger) when we are coming back from places which she really likes doing, likewise it would be nice if we could contact her direct when we are away?

Can anyone suggest (does such a thing exist) a messenger app that I can put on her phone (which is always on wifi) which we can control so its just me, her mum and possibly grand parents she can message (and we message her) without her getting in trouble? Obvs Messenger needs a Facebook account (which I would rather she didn't have) whilst WhatsApp needs a phone no?

Apologies again, I am an IT fuckwit! 
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 15:56:29 »

There's a kids' version of FB Messenger which might do what you need, although not sure about whether you can restrict send/receive to specific accounts:

https://messengerkids.com/

EDIT: scrolled down and looks like it can:

"Kids can only connect with parent-approved contacts, which creates a more controlled environment"
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 16:16:02 »

Beers
There's a kids' version of FB Messenger which might do what you need, although not sure about whether you can restrict send/receive to specific accounts:

https://messengerkids.com/

EDIT: scrolled down and looks like it can:

"Kids can only connect with parent-approved contacts, which creates a more controlled environment"

Cool, thanks! That will work fine for me and the missus although might have to persuade Granny to set up a Facebook account!!  Roll Eyes
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 18:10:03 »

Sadly doesn't appear to be available in uk...

Sent from my SM-J330FN
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 20, 2019, 18:48:52 »

We used to use Monster Messenger with our kids when they were about that age, the parental controls are pretty good - you have to approve any new contacts before they can talk to them and the entire platform is designed for families with young kids.

Plus it's free with no annoying ads, which is sadly rare nowadays.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: