Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Forest Green Rovers v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 65815 times)
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #330 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 06:20:15 »

It's like being bottom of the league and playing like shit, with no money and all our own players that we can't shift, but suggesting every week that there's a chance we can make the play-offs because we've never lost our league status before and historically we've won more games at home than lost, so the next one should be a banker.

It's tedious, repetitive drivel and it's a shame because for a long time Reg was a very interesting poster, knowledgeable and with a hint of reasonable caution. Now it's as if the criticism has made him double, triple and quadruple down and he can't give it up. Have a break Reg and enjoy the rest of the season. We don't get many like this and even if it does fall away, we can't say it's not been fun.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 08:38:56 »

If you don't like a thread don't bother with it.... it's quite simple. There's several threads on here which have been going for years like the TV thread (don't watch) games games games (don't play).  No idea what gets talked about in there, but wouldn't criticise anybody who wants to post their opinion, just because it's of no interest to me.  I find that attitude strange.

You're right, it is quite simple - I don't read it - job done - but invariably it gets dragged into other threads...and for the record I've had to put you on 'ignore' as you have become insufferable in the last week...every word of Richie Wellen-Dowd's comments are bang on the money. Rather then reject them out of hand as 'bullying', consider the fact that he may be right...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 08:47:09 »

You're right, it is quite simple - I don't read it - job done - but invariably it gets dragged into other threads...and for the record I've had to put you on 'ignore' as you have become insufferable in the last week...every word of Richie Wellen-Dowd's comments are bang on the money. Rather then reject them out of hand as bullying, consider the fact that he may be right...

I suspect a number of posters have him ignored, I for one have, however the way the site is set up and has been mentioned recently one cannot ‘ignore’ these posts permanently as they appear as quotes on other members posts. RWD’s post is accurate.

He reminds me in a way of an abusive/jealous partner who eventually drives away their partner into the arms of someone else,  they then protest their innocence and claim to be the victim by proclaiming that they knew you’d go leave them all along.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 09:51:16 »

Are we losing a sense of perspective here?  Do we need to get quite so animated about slightly downbeat posts on a forum dedicated to a lower league team - a team that has offered its supporters very little in recent years?

Nothing to see here
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 09:52:09 »

Interesting thread on the game and on Reg - most entertaining thanks to one and all

My mate and I sat in the home end having been given strict instructions to keep any allegiance to the mighty reds completely and utterly quiet - we had a good laugh about it over our vegan fu.kin. burger in their bar - what do you want in your tea - soya or oat milk ffs..

Doyle scores at our end - I had to physically restrain Kelvin from leaping like a salmon from his seat - f.c. me he does it again even better second goal - by this time I am thinking Kelvin will be uncontrollable if we keep on like this - which at that point in the game it didn`t look beyond possibility...Yates should of made it 3 - at half time we observed that `you lot` weren`t making much noise - I had to point out that the torrential down pour might have something to do with it.
First ten minutes of the second half we could and may be should of put it beyond reach....then it was their turn...I thought the boy Mills had a good game...it always sticks when we let in a late goal, especially as they celebrated right in front of us, I could feel my hackles rising - just wanted to jump up and tell them to f..k right off - reminds me of a period when we used to do it on a regular basis.

I predict that if we can hang on to Doyle we will be promoted no question...

Bathtime
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 10:06:27 »

Quote from: JBZ
Are we losing a sense of perspective here?  Do we need to get quite so animated about slightly downbeat posts on a forum dedicated to a lower league team - a team that has offered its supporters very little in recent years?
well said
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 10:08:45 »

You're right, it is quite simple - I don't read it - job done - but invariably it gets dragged into other threads...and for the record I've had to put you on 'ignore' as you have become insufferable in the last week...every word of Richie Wellen-Dowd's comments are bang on the money. Rather then reject them out of hand as 'bullying', consider the fact that he may be right...

Politics by it's very nature will get brought into other fields.... take for example the long Doyle piece, where he mentions Brexit, because as an Irishman and EU citizen, it's likely to impact, ipresumably in a negative way on him.

Doyle got caught up in the Brexit debate, adding countless podcasts to his rota, and he's not alone.

"The first time I've ever, ever been in a situation in football where politics is actually an ongoing conversation," he says. "I was in Scotland for the independence referendum and that was barely talked about. This though...carnage.

"You'd come down for breakfast on the day of the match and there's 15 lads there thrashing it out. People talking about how they voted and what they believed in. The country is properly divided."

The 'Ginger Pele', as he's been christened by Swindon fans, thought better of a pre-election post outlining his preferences. Let's just say he wouldn't hold a popular opinion in a Tory town.

Brexit hit him in the pocket. Greg Cunningham, his former Preston team-mate, is a like-minded soul. They had a chat six weeks before the 2016 referendum.

"I was saying we should throw our money home," he recalls. "Greg said: 'Nah, it (Brexit) isn't going to happen and I said 'You're right, it won't' and looking back now it's like... ahhh. You're looking at the pound being worth €1.45 to €1.10 almost overnight."

He'd looked at 'forever homes' back in Ireland with Ciara, but they needed a 30 per cent deposit living abroad. Brexit scuppered that plan. Their wedding in Powerscourt also went 30 per cent over budget because of the exchange rate. "And I got carried away too," Ciara smiles.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 10:09:45 »

Looking on the bright side, it used to take a defeat to induce this level of bickering in the MDT. Our standards are rising.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
normy

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 10:24:46 »

https://www.skysports.com/efl/championship/video/11892602/forest-green-2-2-swindon

The ginger Pele strikes again (twice)

ust be the oldest
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #339 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 10:37:07 »

I hope you don't think I'm worked up, I'm actually slightly worried for Reg. It can't be healthy to spend so much of the day arguing so obsessively over things. It does tend to infect all aspects of the forum and it is a bit of a headfuck, but I stopped reading for about three years before when I'd had enough. It's no big deal.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #340 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 10:50:15 »

Oh and congrats to Eoin Doyle on becoming the 17th different player in my time to achieve a 20 goal season. The first loan player to do it and the first to do it before half way through the season, quite extraordinary.  Further only one other player Paul Rideout scored 20 in a Div 4 season (exactly) so ED already has the record of most goals scored in a Div 4 season, even if Bradford have him back in Jan.
Doyle is only the 20th player to score over 20 league goals in a season for Swindon since the war, thats a damn good achievement on its own.

To have done it (and hit 21 goals) in only 19 games is absolutely amazing.

No Swindon player since the war has hit 20 goals by Christmas in the league either.

Since the war only 15 players have currently scored more league goals in a season than Doyle.

08-09 Cox 29
09-10 Paynter 26
74-75 Eastoe 26
46-47 Stephens 26
02-03 Parkin 25
67-68 Rogers 25
58-57 Edwards 25
48-49 Jones 25
66-67 Rogers 24
15-16 Ajose 24
62-63 Hunt 24
04-05 Parkin 23
91-92 Shearer 22
90-91 Shearer 22
68-69 Rogers 22

Doyle is now 2nd in his own right in the Swindon Town consecutive scoring list on 10 games running.

Thats just 1 shy of the overall record of 11 consecutive games set by Harry Morris way back in 1926-27.

In this day and age that is some achievement even if he doesn't equal or beat the record, absolutely amazing.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 11:06:26 »

Interesting thread on the game and on Reg - most entertaining thanks to one and all

My mate and I sat in the home end having been given strict instructions to keep any allegiance to the mighty reds completely and utterly quiet - we had a good laugh about it over our vegan fu.kin. burger in their bar - what do you want in your tea - soya or oat milk ffs..

Doyle scores at our end - I had to physically restrain Kelvin from leaping like a salmon from his seat - f.c. me he does it again even better second goal - by this time I am thinking Kelvin will be uncontrollable if we keep on like this - which at that point in the game it didn`t look beyond possibility...Yates should of made it 3 - at half time we observed that `you lot` weren`t making much noise - I had to point out that the torrential down pour might have something to do with it.
First ten minutes of the second half we could and may be should of put it beyond reach....then it was their turn...I thought the boy Mills had a good game...it always sticks when we let in a late goal, especially as they celebrated right in front of us, I could feel my hackles rising - just wanted to jump up and tell them to f..k right off - reminds me of a period when we used to do it on a regular basis.

I predict that if we can hang on to Doyle we will be promoted no question...

You must have been sat right next to me and my boy. I couldn’t help but fist pump on the sly when our goals went in to a few tuts next to me. We missed the last goal trying to beat the traffic down the hill and that means technically  my son has only ever seen us win(ning)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 11:29:18 »

Doyle is only the 20th player to score over 20 league goals in a season for Swindon since the war, thats a damn good achievement on its own.

To have done it (and hit 21 goals) in only 19 games is absolutely amazing.

No Swindon player since the war has hit 20 goals by Christmas in the league either.

Since the war only 15 players have currently scored more league goals in a season than Doyle.

08-09 Cox 29
09-10 Paynter 26
74-75 Eastoe 26
46-47 Stephens 26
02-03 Parkin 25
67-68 Rogers 25
58-57 Edwards 25
48-49 Jones 25
66-67 Rogers 24
15-16 Ajose 24
62-63 Hunt 24
04-05 Parkin 23
91-92 Shearer 22
90-91 Shearer 22
68-69 Rogers 22

Doyle is now 2nd in his own right in the Swindon Town consecutive scoring list on 10 games running.

Thats just 1 shy of the overall record of 11 consecutive games set by Harry Morris way back in 1926-27.

In this day and age that is some achievement even if he doesn't equal or beat the record, absolutely amazing.

If he does stay it's going to interesting to see if he can get at least to say 30, which has never been done in my time.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #343 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 11:46:00 »

If he does stay it's going to interesting to see if he can get at least to say 30, which has never been done in my time.
Only 1 player ever has scored 30+ league goals for Swindon in a single season and that was the prodigious Harry Morris who managed it on 3 occassion with 47 in the 26-27, 38 in the 27-28 and 35 in the 30-31 seasons.

Thats been since Swindon entered the Football League in 1921.

I hope he does stay and set some more new records, the man is a scoring machine and always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Sunday, December 22, 2019, 11:48:17 »

If he can score 21 before Xmas, he can bloody well score 21 after Xmas!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: