Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Summer Cricket 2019  (Read 50307 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 19:05:19 »

Day 6 of 46  Eek
So who's been following the world cup then?

Went to Cardiff today for Afghanistan v Sri Lanka.
Saw one STFC badge wearer. We are everywhere!
First visit to Sophia Gardens. Nice ground and setting.

Shame about the rain delay, but good to see the Afghan Massive enjoying themselves during the break.
A pity they couldn't knock off the runs after bowling very well.

I legged it before the restart. An extended hydration break in a hitherto unexplored Wetherspoons.
All in all a good day out.

Would like to make it to another match if possible.
A shame that West indies v Bangladesh is more a less a sell out at Taunton. Just £75 tickets left.  No

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 19:44:58 »

Not planning on going to any of the WC games but am following them on TV.  I’m a bit of a traditionalist and prefer watching county championship games in person. So far this summer have had days at Newport (new ground), Taunton and Cheltenham. Weather permitting, planning on being at Worcester one day next week. That’s one of my favourite grounds and is an easy walk from the train station (which has a ‘spoons right next door). Usually have a day at Sophia Gardens each summer and will probably be there for a game in July. As you say, it’s a decent ground in a nice setting, and a nice walk from the station past the National Stadium and through the park. Will also be back at Cheltenham for a couple of days next month for the Festival.

Back to the WC, I’m not hopeful that England will live up to all the pre-tournament hype.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 08:15:27 »

Not planning on going to any of the WC games but am following them on TV.  I’m a bit of a traditionalist and prefer watching county championship games in person. So far this summer have had days at Newport (new ground), Taunton and Cheltenham. Weather permitting, planning on being at Worcester one day next week. That’s one of my favourite grounds and is an easy walk from the train station (which has a ‘spoons right next door). Usually have a day at Sophia Gardens each summer and will probably be there for a game in July. As you say, it’s a decent ground in a nice setting, and a nice walk from the station past the National Stadium and through the park. Will also be back at Cheltenham for a couple of days next month for the Festival.

Back to the WC, I’m not hopeful that England will live up to all the pre-tournament hype.

Pretty much like me.  I did get to see Hants in The Parks early doors, and was impressed with them.... Fidel Edwards and Kyle Abbott, sharp.  Was going to Numb v Lancs, but couldn't make the  BH Monday, then Tuseday forecast sketchy, decided against, prob been OK in Swindon, but they didn't bowl a ball, so at least made the right call... Weds was shite in both, little point on the Thurs.

Been a good season already with the mighty Cidermen winning the Royal London... further progress in the CC and another couple of gems Banton and Bartlett comiing off the production line to be ignored by England. Dom Bess is a bit of a worry, obviously a talent, but can't buy a wicket.... perhaps needs to go te Moeen route of being a bat, who bowls a bit, at least you play that way.

Think it might be important to make the most of this summer, as The Abomination coming in next year has all the potential to completely destroy the county structure.... here's hoping it bombs big time.

The WC could be a good tourney, but the format although logical is just too long.. it was probably done this way, to ensure England didn't depart at the earliest opprtunity like last time.   England have improved, but just lack the mental toughness that forges winners.  Probably only Buttler, and the whisper is he'll be back to his spiritual home for next season, which would bring tears to the eyes of many a Ciderman and woman.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 08:17:17 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 08:59:30 »

Got tickets for England vs Aghanistan at Old Trafford in a couple of weeks. Not been to an international match before so looking forward to that, even if the result should be a foregone conclusion.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 09:57:36 »

Going to Bangladesh v NZ at the Oval this afternoon - my second Bangladesh game of the tournament (they're the cheapest and easiest to get tickets, I'm not fussy) after the SA game at the weekend. very much enjoyed that game, Bangladesh fans had an absolute ball throughout despite the fact that they were almost all fasting.

Obviously today's big game is India v SA, with the Saffers already in quite a lot of trouble.
Panda Paws

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 10:03:15 »

SA look shakey and could in effect be out of the tournament by the end of today.

Really enjoying the tournament so far - not able to get to any games but thoroughly absorbed on the TV.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 13, 2019, 14:50:51 »

Nice win for the mighty Cidermen today, despite 2 and a bit days lost to rain.  Smiley
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, June 18, 2019, 13:24:31 »

Eoin Morgan scores the most sixes in any international innings, in any format, ever.

Not bad.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, June 18, 2019, 13:47:08 »

Eoin Morgan scores the most sixes in any international innings, in any format, ever.

Not bad.

...for someone supposedly carrying a back injury.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 18, 2019, 13:51:54 »

Was very entertaining, we've just dropped an easy one in the slips.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 25, 2019, 22:31:56 »

Very disappointed with today, watched it all.  Conditions were as they were, we won the toss and chose to bat, this was the right call.

I'd have hoped we would have gone out with the right game plan to make the most of the conditions given we'd chosen to do just that.

It was all set to get the ball swinging but we set our stall to bowl short which, while it is our bowlers' strength was not the right play for the conditions.

We got away with it a bit in terms of the run race but the Aussies came out and bowled fuller and took 2 early wickets as a result, they then played short to Morgan specifically and got another early wicket.

My main issue is that Morgan said we bowled well in the early stages.  Ok, they got a bit lucky early on and on another day could have lost a couple of early wickets but we didn't get those wickets.  We should have taken stock around 6 overs and decided to go longer.  For me we should have gone longer from the start or we should have chosen to bat if we weren't prepared to take advantage of the conditions that we were subject to.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 07:11:14 »

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s easy to think that problems are due to absentees, but it’s rare that we’d be down to 3rd choice in any position. Vince has his days, but doesn’t have the confidence, consistency or experience of Hales or Roy - and he’s playing in a critical position. If a bowler drops, we have Plunkett and Curran to come in. If they go, you’ve still got Sam Curran, Willey, even Stone. All are comparatively stronger replacements than Vince is as opener. Our form over the last two years has largely been down to a fast start - yes, the slower pitches prepared by the ICC don’t help this, but neither does having him kick us off.

If we win the next four games, we win the World Cup. And I’d still rather win the Ashes.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 07:13:27 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 08:31:25 »

If we win the next four games, we win the World Cup. And I’d still rather win the Ashes.

Pretty much as expected, England have improved over the last 4 years, but lack the bottle required to win when the going gets tough. 

I suspect that after winning 4 home Ashes series, we're going to have to accept, the coming one is gone already. 

The only hope lies in the Convict quicks breaking down over the next few weeks.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 08:35:24 »

The only hope lies in the Convict quicks breaking down over the next few weeks.

The only hope? There is literally no other way England could possibly win the Ashes? And we're coming to that conclusion based on what, a few poor performances in white ball cricket? Sure, the Aussies will be the favourites but rulling England out already is nonsense.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 09:04:01 »

It was ironic that we got bested in English conditions by the Aussies.  Perhaps this would have been a day for Willey or Tom Curran but Kinky Tom's comments are interesting.  Is Morgan not quite the captain we need?

Roy by no means always fires on all cylinders but we have been fortunate that one of him and Bairstow nearly always contribute.  Hales was very useful too but the third choice has never conVINCEd.

I think Reg is unduly pessimistic [  Eek ] about the Ashes.  If conditions like yesterday were to re-appear, the Aussies would still have one Jimmy Anderson to ponder.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 09:06:01 by RedRag » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: