Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RIP Danny Williams  (Read 11859 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 08:11:43 »

I met him once in 1979, one of the nicest men I ever met, sang Rawhide to me and gave me polo mints.

A good inningd Danny.

Rest in peace your memory will live forever with all Town fans whether they knew you or not.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 08:55:40 »

Quite shocked.  I had sort of presumed that Danny Williams would be around this March to enjoy the Wembley anniversary.

Sir Red Ken, you are right on the money.  A statue is required when a genuine legend departs.  Perhaps also a Danny Williams Way. Chairmen and Managers come and go but Danny will always be in the Swindon DNA.   

Meanwhile, a fitting celebration at the home game v the Vale on 16th March.

RIP.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 09:29:54 »

I will be doing my best to go to the Vale game to pay my respects to Danny and the Cup winning squad.

Something that I very much doubt I'll ever see again in my lifetime.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 10:25:51 »

RIP Danny
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 10:54:07 »

Yes, very sad he didn't make it to the 50th anniversary.

I was too young to see his famous spell as manager but his second spell was just as I started to watch the Town seriously.  I remember in (I think) his second season back going to the away game at Rotherham in 1975, completely unaware of his playing record for Rotherham, and being amazed at the reception he got.  We won as well which was even more amazing away from home in those days.

RIP Danny.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 11:05:10 »

Very sad to hear this, he was manager when I first got the Swindon bug. Great man, great legacy. The club cannot let this go without some sort of tribute.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 11:32:35 »

Quote from the great man after the game...

Clems Army!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 11:34:24 »

The same hint of arrogance that made us all fall in love with PDC. RIP Danny
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 11:34:40 »

I only discovered he was still with us a couple of weeks back, way before my time but will always be a club legend for what he achieved, thoughts with his family and friends today.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 13:13:33 »

All been said in this thread, just very, very glad I was around to watch a team he blended together to achieve what they did. R.I.P. Danny.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 13:41:06 »

When kids these days talk about legends they use the word flippantly. Well if ever you need an example of a club legend Danny was one and the club has to do something to remember him by, as mentioned a statue would be great even if we have to fund raise. RIP Sir Danny you gave me and my dear old dad some of the greatest times of our lives.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 14:41:31 »

I work with a Rotherham fan and Danny was his Dad's all time favourite Millers player.

I think the enormity of what he achieved can easily be lost over time but it was quite staggering. Everyone used to talk about Sunderland v Leeds but IMO this was bigger.

Thanks for memories and giving us one decent song Danny ! RIP.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 4, 2019, 14:53:47 by Bewster » Logged
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 16:49:29 »

Absolute Swindon Town legend - should have a stand named after him really....first game I saw was a 5-0 against Charlton - I was hooked...such excitement...surprised to hear he was still alive..thanks for posting that he has passed on. Hero...happy days...

Bathtime
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 17:20:29 »

When kids these days talk about legends they use the word flippantly. Well if ever you need an example of a club legend Danny was one and the club has to do something to remember him by, as mentioned a statue would be great even if we have to fund raise. RIP Sir Danny you gave me and my dear old dad some of the greatest times of our lives.

You can't really blame "the kids" for that though. The glamour and sensationalism of media outlets (largely SkySports) have made "legends" out of teams that win 3 games in a row. A responsibility as adults, I would say, lies with us to educate "the kids" to understand what a "legend" really is. Even then, it is still rather relative to the opinion expressed.

Yes, I'm sure there is a consensus where several names nationally and worldwide, come to mind. Almost without thought. Players Pele & Eusebio; managers Paisley & Michels. Yet while someone like Ferguson would rightly be remembered worldwide, I'm not so sure someone like Batteux, Ivic or Lobanovskyi would?  Hmmm

Anyhow, sleep well Mr Williams. We will all join you one day, for that is our only true certainty.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 18:12:53 »

Absolute Swindon Town legend - should have a stand named after him really....first game I saw was a 5-0 against Charlton - I was hooked...such excitement...surprised to hear he was still alive..thanks for posting that he has passed on. Hero...happy days...

0:0 at half time.  That team was incredible to watch, the atmosphere in the ground was electric.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: