Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 447695 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1305 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 12:29:49 »

Sounds like with immediate effect.
Well then any player waiting to sign a new contract such as Isgrove and Woolery will now possibly be offered less than they were originally offered. And no club in the same division can offer them more than the allowed salary cap, they could have shot themselves in the foot by waiting. (maybe).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1306 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 12:30:31 »

The way I'm reading that is that you can pay bonuses to players for promotion or cup runs. Don't see a problem with that myself, and as a player you'd know there's no guarantee of that many materialising without some success on the pitch.
Clubs with money will just load up on promotion and cup bonuses, a win in the EFL trophy will suddenly earn a sunderland player £100k or something stupid.

All its going to do is make the gulf between league 1 and the championship even bigger now and allow them to hoard more players and will be almost impossible to get championship players to drop down to league 1.

Wouldn't be surprised if the PFA start legal action or threaten a strike as it's a restriction on earnings effectively.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1307 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 12:32:51 »

I see payments linked to progression in cup competitions and promotion are excluded, there's the loophole then that will be able to be exploited.

Still think proper FFP enforcement was the right option but hey ho.
There's all kinds of loopholes that can be exploited. Without proper enforcement, it doesn't much matter whether you're doing FFP, a salary cap or anything else. If it's not monitored and enforced, it's window dressing at best, a cheats' charter at worst.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1308 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 12:34:28 »

Well then any player waiting to sign a new contract such as Isgrove and Woolery will now possibly be offered less than they were originally offered. And no club in the same division can offer them more than the allowed salary cap, they could have shot themselves in the foot by waiting. (maybe).
Not sure about that. From what Wellens has said previously, our budget would fit comfortably inside the £2.5m cap anyway and it's a cap on the whole squad, not an individual player. So any offers made to Woolery, Isgrove or anyone else will be inside our budget and so presumably also inside the cap.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1309 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 12:35:54 »

There's all kinds of loopholes that can be exploited. Without proper enforcement, it doesn't much matter whether you're doing FFP, a salary cap or anything else. If it's not monitored and enforced, it's window dressing at best, a cheats' charter at worst.
Ironically they've made a system even harder to enforce now though, clubs can seemingly hide what ever they want in cup/promotion bonus packages. Probably won't even need to win a game so will still be guaranteed earnings.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1310 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 12:38:29 »

Ironically they've made a system even harder to enforce now though, clubs can seemingly hide what ever they want in cup/promotion bonus packages. Probably won't even need to win a game so will still be guaranteed earnings.
I was listening to something the other day where they told the tale of how when Derby signed Tom Ince, they paid him £x salary to fit inside FFP but then took his Mum on as a scout at £x+y. For all I know, she may well be an excellent scout, but you know ... Plenty of examples all over the leagues of players being employed by one of the owner's other companies as a "side job".
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1311 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 12:46:17 »

I was listening to something the other day where they told the tale of how when Derby signed Tom Ince, they paid him £x salary to fit inside FFP but then took his Mum on as a scout at £x+y. For all I know, she may well be an excellent scout, but you know ... Plenty of examples all over the leagues of players being employed by one of the owner's other companies as a "side job".
You'll probably be able to get away with putting in something like a bonus for getting to the 1st round of the FA cup despite it being a dead cert. Will just be a farce.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1312 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 13:29:41 »

She cant be that good a scout surely, awful player he is
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1313 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 13:37:34 »

Not sure about that. From what Wellens has said previously, our budget would fit comfortably inside the £2.5m cap anyway and it's a cap on the whole squad, not an individual player. So any offers made to Woolery, Isgrove or anyone else will be inside our budget and so presumably also inside the cap.
I haven't been able to find the "small print" as it were, but previosuly the rumour was there would be an individual player wage cap of £1,300 pw.

I see there is also a maximum squad size of 22 players (over 21) for the coming season, that could affect a lot of teams, we had 27 over 21's players in the Flitcroft season, last season we had 25 over 21's during the season.

Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #1314 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 13:44:09 »

I haven't been able to find the "small print" as it were, but previosuly the rumour was there would be an individual player wage cap of £1,300 pw.

I see there is also a maximum squad size of 22 players (over 21) for the coming season, that could affect a lot of teams, we had 27 over 21's players in the Flitcroft season, last season we had 25 over 21's during the season.

The £1300 per week ''cap'' is for a player signed/already on an existing contract prior too today's announcement, they're get classed as 'an average weekly wage'. Players signed after this actual weekly wage will count towards the cap. In theory it could take a number of years to actually take effect.

Here's some more detail.......https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/league-one-salary-cap-vote-result-1-6782584
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1315 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 13:52:41 »

The more I read the more this seems a clusterfuck in the making, the PFA are already sounding a strike ballot and this sounds like something that's open to a legal challenge.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #1316 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 14:06:41 »

Just a small point but why do we talk about player salaries by reference to a weekly wage?  In almost all other walks of life, we refer to an annual figure.

Nothing to see here
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1317 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 14:14:36 »

Clubs with money will just load up on promotion and cup bonuses, a win in the EFL trophy will suddenly earn a sunderland player £100k or something stupid.

All its going to do is make the gulf between league 1 and the championship even bigger now and allow them to hoard more players and will be almost impossible to get championship players to drop down to league 1.

Wouldn't be surprised if the PFA start legal action or threaten a strike as it's a restriction on earnings effectively.
The cap includes any bonuses, image rights, appearance money etc. So I presume, taking Doyle as an example last season, would have been on a basic wage, so much per goal scored, so much appearance money, so much win bonus etc.

This year every player signed from now can only get the maximum cap limit which will include any extras. So Doyle would now only get his agreed wage and no extras no matter how many goals he scored.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1318 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 14:23:15 »

The more I read the more this seems a clusterfuck in the making, the PFA are already sounding a strike ballot and this sounds like something that's open to a legal challenge.

This cant be right, i mean, the PFA actually doing something?

One of the most spineless organisations out there unless you are a big player
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1319 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 14:24:15 »

1. Spend whatever you like
2. Get promoted
3. Hire Man City's lawyers

Simple.

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: