Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444344 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1275 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 09:24:08 »

Flitcroft although he won his games in charge he was probably THE most boring manager we have ever had, who made us play some of  THE most boring brand of football in my 45 years of following Swindon, the only one who cam close was Beamish in the bad old days.

I don't mind us grinding out results occassionally in games, digging in and getting the win but to do that week in week out, even if it meant us winning then I would stop watching us. Having to watch a team like Lincoln (under the Cowleys), Newport, Wycombe or Northampton week in week out would make me lose my love of football.

I am probably in the minority as Reg and previously DV stated most fans would love that, not sure I agree that "most would want it" though, shit football, winning games by bullying hoofball tactics, relying on set peices and corners and.

I am obviously probably the only one who would rather we were less successful but played better football to watch, as has been the Swindon style throughout history. If you ask fans of other clubs (rivals excluded) they all say that Swindon play good football often at the expense of results, a bit like West Ham.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1276 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 09:28:12 »

I am probably in the minority as Reg and previously DV stated most fans would love that, not sure I agree that "most would want it" though, shit football, winning games by bullying hoofball tactics, relying on set peices and corners and.

I am obviously probably the only one who would rather we were less successful but played better football to watch, as has been the Swindon style throughout history. If you ask fans of other clubs (rivals excluded) they all say that Swindon play good football often at the expense of results, a bit like West Ham.
I don't think you are necessarily in the minority I just think the question has been put wrong as two extremes: most people aren't "results above everything" or "style above everything", they'd like to watch entertaining football with some successes every now and then. Nowt wrong with that.
Flashheart

« Reply #1277 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 09:30:31 »

I was willing to sacrifice style for getting out of L2. What we got was... eugh! Watching it felt like a chore. Even long ball managers tend to have some sort of style or plan in place. Not Flitcroft. Get it to the fullback and HOOF!

I could not watch that week in week out. I'd given up after 15-20 games or so. I'd take Wellensball in L1 over Flitcroft's abomination in the PL without hesitation.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1278 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 09:41:38 »

I don't think you are necessarily in the minority I just think the question has been put wrong as two extremes: most people aren't "results above everything" or "style above everything", they'd like to watch entertaining football with some successes every now and then. Nowt wrong with that.
Absolutely.
I was willing to sacrifice style for getting out of L2. What we got was... eugh! Watching it felt like a chore. Even long ball managers tend to have some sort of style or plan in place. Not Flitcroft. Get it to the fullback and HOOF!

I could not watch that week in week out. I'd given up after 15-20 games or so. I'd take Wellensball in L1 over Flitcroft's abomination in the PL without hesitation.
100% this.

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #1279 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 09:45:44 »

Thoughts of the style of football never entered my head at the final whistle on the first day of the season at Carlisle (yes Audrey, Doris did his shoulder when he scored).

I can’t vouch for every game but as far as I can remember it wasn’t all hoof all, the win at Mansfield included some great football and left me feeling Town had a chance of competing for promotion.

As far as I’m concerned, my criticism of Flitcroft is down to his out of the blue comment about negativity coming from the Town fans, which then seemed to be him preparing the ground for his exit.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1280 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 09:51:06 »

Flitcroft although he won his games in charge he was probably THE most boring manager we have ever had, who made us play some of  THE most boring brand of football in my 45 years of following Swindon, the only one who cam close was Beamish in the bad old days.

I don't mind us grinding out results occassionally in games, digging in and getting the win but to do that week in week out, even if it meant us winning then I would stop watching us. Having to watch a team like Lincoln (under the Cowleys), Newport, Wycombe or Northampton week in week out would make me lose my love of football.

It's all relative and about context.... for example you eulogised Brown's start to the season side, as playing sexy football, but for me even if we did have a good looking kid Alzate in midfield, 3 goals in something like 8 games proves it was ineffective. Unsurprisingly Brown was sacked.

The anti Flitcroft club probably forget that Teddy Sheringham was a live candidate for the job.... this, at a time where relationships between club and fans were strained, as the communication breakdown grew, and Power's stewards would remove anti regime banners in the TE.  Would TS have been any use  Hmmm seemed a mate of TT.  Think hindsight would suggest we dodged a bullet... Flitcroft did settle things down a bit.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1281 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 10:00:00 »

I think the manner of Flitcroft’s departure meant a lot of fans automatically took to lambasting his style, or lack thereof.

For me, it was his haphazard team selections with players played out of position and his strange substitutions that he made, seemingly, to try and show what a brilliant tactician he was.

It was falling apart before he left anyway, but tbh if he had somehow succeeded in getting us promoted that season nobody would cared about the entertainment factor. In fact, I’d say Brown’s football was even worse.
Flashheart

« Reply #1282 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 10:06:32 »

but tbh if he had somehow succeeded in getting us promoted that season nobody would cared about the entertainment factor.

I would have cared.

I already did care even before he left. I wanted him gone. I was thinking we should stick with him and maybe get promoted, and then just get fucking rid.

He made me start hating watching my team. No other manager has done that to me. Not even the likes of Williams or Malpas.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1283 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 10:09:15 »

Flitcroft for me is right up there with McMahon and Hart as one of my most disliked Town managers. An absolute imposter of a manager.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1284 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 10:09:21 »

I think the manner of Flitcroft’s departure meant a lot of fans automatically took to lambasting his style, or lack thereof.

For me, it was his haphazard team selections with players played out of position and his strange substitutions that he made, seemingly, to try and show what a brilliant tactician he was.

It was falling apart before he left anyway, but tbh if he had somehow succeeded in getting us promoted that season nobody would cared about the entertainment factor. In fact, I’d say Brown’s football was even worse.

Certainly I'm not saying Flitcroft was a great gaffer, he clearly was somewhat limited, but this is in could be worse thread, and in the circumstances he came into he did an OK job of stabilising us. That was needed.

Brown showed how quickly things can slide. Don't forget there many on here who thought we had the players, who would blossom as soon as they were given a bit of freedom, feeling Flitcroft was holding them back.  We won something like 2 in 11, after he went, having won 5 straight home games before.   It was that ho,me form which needed sorting as te away form was as good as at any time in our history.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1285 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 10:09:26 »

I didn’t like the fucker, but watching Luke Williams’ side was more dispiriting. Game after game a couple of defensive howlers would do us every time, coupled with Nancy pass it for passing’s sake going nowhere shite.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1286 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 10:13:30 »

Brown>Flitcroft for me. But looking back its like asking who's shit was the smelliest. When Brown came in he allowed the players to play football again but it quickly became apparent the players weren't up to the job as wasn't Brown.

Only Doughty, Conroy and Woolery (plus Twine and Iandolo) are left from the 27 players that Wellens inherited from Brown.

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1287 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 10:14:05 »

No pace to that Williams team.  Pass it round and round at the same tempo, 60% possession.  Its gotta go somewhere, the tempo has to change.

Never knowingly overstated.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1288 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 10:18:02 »

Fully paid up member of the “Sport is about winning, style is nothing more than a bonus” brigade.

Winning is fun
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1289 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 10:20:54 »

Not my experience at all. There was profound relief at his departure among those who I sit with *because* we were so fed up of watching the terrible football his team played. For the first month or so, you could just about kid yourself that if that's what it took to get out of the division you could grit your teeth and put up with it. And if he had got us promoted, it would have been at least "effective". But it was still completely unenjoyable, we were dragging ourselves to games out of habit both under the final part of Williams' tenure and under Flitcroft.

Anyway fortunately those days are gone. Not sure why we keep having to drag this up every couple of months? It's like getting nostalgic over some especially messy root canal surgery
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: