Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444546 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1260 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 14:59:32 »

Didn’t Doris do his shoulder in that one?
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #1261 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 15:09:32 »

I recall feeling quite upbeat about a winning start at Brunton Park, with what seemed to be a battling victory after the dross we'd witnessed under Luke and Embers.... still some people are never pleased, preferring a bit of Kingy "flick fanny" stuff, with some kids on loan from Chelsea over at least being competitve with some gnarled Div 4 type journeymen..

I get what your saying, I found it refreshing at the start to see a team that would get stuck in a bit and wouldn’t just pass for passings sake! But that team would never have gotten out of that league.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #1262 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 15:27:41 »

I get what your saying, I found it refreshing at the start to see a team that would get stuck in a bit and wouldn’t just pass for passings sake! But that team would never have gotten out of that league.
In fairness to Reg’s old mate Flitters, I’m pretty sure he left us in the play off places so it wouldn’t have been the biggest shock ever if we somehow made it up.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1263 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 15:34:08 »

We were naive to Flitcroft at that point. We thought his buzzword interviews talking about ‘synergy’ and all that bollocks meant he was modern intelligent manager. How wrong we were, his lottery football (especially at home) with no really tactic other than lumping it long and feeding on scraps soon became apparent against Crawley and Barnet and ...
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1264 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 16:04:01 »

We were naive to Flitcroft at that point. We thought his buzzword interviews talking about ‘synergy’ and all that bollocks meant he was modern intelligent manager...

...and 'microwaves'   Doh

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1265 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 16:19:51 »

We were naive to Flitcroft at that point. We thought his buzzword interviews talking about ‘synergy’ and all that bollocks meant he was modern intelligent manager. How wrong we were, his lottery football (especially at home) with no really tactic other than lumping it long and feeding on scraps soon became apparent against Crawley and Barnet and ...

Personally I always thought he was a jobbing Div 4 gaffer who'd got Bury up, therefore the sort of thing required.  Of course it's quite possible that some thought he was a sort of Div 4 Guardiola.  We do see some strange stuff on here at times.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1266 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 16:53:03 »

He should have done better with his budget, his team were dire but he had a very specific way of playing that didn't need good footballers, it was fucking awful to watch, I'm glad he's gone.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #1267 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 17:36:32 »

A jobbing Lg 2 manager a la Flitcroft was not the answer.  He was the anti-football and had cast a shroud of gloom over the CG, lightened only by a puncher's chance at a PO shot.  Sneering at Luke or Guardiola does not change that and neither does sneering at League 2 rivals, where I have certainly witnessed some quality amidst the limitations in recent seasons.  And indeed also in Lou's inspired, no-nonsense team before.  

Sturrock aside, STFC has by and large enjoyed most of its promotions with essentially unproven managers who had something about them.

I suppose we do need to consider the possibility of losing Richie.  Getting back to the thread subject, there is no doubt for me that Power deserves credit for having found RW.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 17:41:28 by RedRag » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1268 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 18:08:23 »

As Chang said we could have made it up.... we'll never know but Cobblers did usung the traditional Div 4 template of being fairly direct.

For me at the time (of Flitcroft's appointment) we were looking in free fall.... and we've seen instances with the likes of Chesterfield, Notts and Yeovil recently how easy it is to sllde from Div 3 into non league.  Our first priority, which tbf I think Power could see was to get back to being at least competitive, we quickly saw under Brown how easy it is to drop off of that with some poor decisioins and a bit of bad luck.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1269 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 18:13:58 »

He should have done better with his budget, his team were dire but he had a very specific way of playing that didn't need good footballers, it was fucking awful to watch, I'm glad he's gone.

At the time it was reckoned our budget ws about 7th.... we were 7th when Flitcroft bailed so i reality about par.... remember Chesterfield were 6th, according to David Conn of The Graun and he's well respected.... they went down.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1270 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 18:33:34 »

The problem with playing the way he had us playing is that you have to be winning to make it remotely watchable.  Any hint of a wobble and the fans will turn, as many did.  I seem to remember suggesting we'd be in the play off early in the season, which is where he had us.  I have no doubt there was a risk of us really shafting ourselves if we had continued down the path of the prior season, so I can see why we brought him in.  Wellens has since shown that the budget was good enough to get a team together for promotion though, and in a style much more entertaining to watch.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1271 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 18:47:31 »

The problem with playing the way he had us playing is that you have to be winning to make it remotely watchable.  Any hint of a wobble and the fans will turn, as many did.  I seem to remember suggesting we'd be in the play off early in the season, which is where he had us.  I have no doubt there was a risk of us really shafting ourselves if we had continued down the path of the prior season, so I can see why we brought him in.  Wellens has since shown that the budget was good enough to get a team together for promotion though, and in a style much more entertaining to watch.

I think most fans want to see a win over "style", great if you can get both.   It's all about context.... clearly last year's side was better than Flitcroft's outfit, but the context there was coming in late and needing a rapid rebuild.... not easy. When Wellens came in he couldn't lift us up too many slots by the season's end, but could use the time to identify those worth keeping those needing replacing etc.

Wellens has a whole new ball game ahead, be interesting to see how he goes.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #1272 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 08:19:45 »

Didn’t Doris do his shoulder in that one?
Yes, in the process of scoring the opener IIRC. It wasn't pretty football that day but it was a hard fought win in front of a decent away crowd.

Reg is exactly right, Flitcroft felt like what was needed at the time. It didn't matter how, we just wanted somebody who would get us out of L2. Obviously it didn't work out as we'd hoped.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1273 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 08:22:50 »

Flitcroft was a real life case of "be careful what you wish for."

Flashheart

« Reply #1274 on: Friday, August 7, 2020, 08:34:47 »

Flitcroft.

Eugh!
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: