Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444313 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1245 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 09:16:05 »

Absolutely, if we can scrape through this without going into admin then there could feasibly be 5 or 6 clubs in L1 starting of on or being deducted 12 points giving us a head start on the relegation scrap that many seem to be predicting.
Actually I was more wondering whether if we get to the stage where the League are faced with (possibly) over half of Leagues 1 and 2 going into administration, they may suspend the automatic 12-point penalty until the situation stabilises a little as it would render the season a bit of a farce.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1246 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 09:22:04 »

Actually I was more wondering whether if we get to the stage where the League are faced with (possibly) over half of Leagues 1 and 2 going into administration, they may suspend the automatic 12-point penalty until the situation stabilises a little as it would render the season a bit of a farce.
Oh yes definately, the longer things carry on the more chance there will be more casualties, its innevitable. starting a season with 6 or 7 clubs on -12 would  be an absolute farce thats for sure, I thenk the FA/EFL are probably and quite rightly shitting themselves at the possibility.

Can of worms doesnt cover the extent of the problems laying just under the surface, its scarey stuff for a whole host of clubs on the edge of the breadline.

Its going to be a difficult call.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1247 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 09:27:37 »

But why should a number of clubs benefit from a penalty free administration? It’ll only encourage owners to do just that and gain an advantage.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1248 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 09:30:40 »

But why should a number of clubs benefit from a penalty free administration? It’ll only encourage owners to do just that and gain an advantage.
Definately.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1249 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 09:34:58 »

Oh yes definately, the longer things carry on the more chance there will be more casualties, its innevitable. starting a season with 6 or 7 clubs on -12 would  be an absolute farce thats for sure, I thenk the FA/EFL are probably and quite rightly shitting themselves at the possibility.

Can of worms doesnt cover the extent of the problems laying just under the surface, its scarey stuff for a whole host of clubs on the edge of the breadline.

Its going to be a difficult call.

I think there has to be a point of no return kicking about somewhere probably around around October, whereby unless we see some fans back into grounds, then lower league football, as we know it, just won't be economically viable.   There are some tentative signs that it could be doable, but is very much dependent on avoiding that second spike, I think such an occurence would finish lower league pro football.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1250 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 09:46:45 »

Might be a case of the lesser of two evils Audrey. As Reg says, there could well come a point where the existence of Leagues 1 and 2 in their current form is under threat. At that point, promotion/relegation etc wouldn't matter so much as just survival. Not sure I'd go as far as saying it could be the end for lower league pro football all together, but it's not beyond the realms of imagination to see how we could end up in that kind of territory. Certainly, if things do head in that direction, then it's difficult to see how the clubs could drag themselves out of it by their own efforts alone without a serious cash injection (not a loan, advance or whatever but actual injection of funds) from the Premier League.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 24, 2020, 09:49:50 by pauld » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1251 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 09:53:53 »

Virtually guarantee that if the penalty was removed probably about 95% of the clubs would go into admin to clear their debts (I suspect many that don't actually have to), which is going to lead to a lot of local small businesses getting royally screwed over.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1252 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 13:58:28 »

Wigan's preferred bidder pulls out, onto option 2.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1253 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 20:36:39 »

Wigan's preferred bidder pulls out, onto option 2.

I gather the "preferred bidder" was the one that was supposedly offering up around £6m? According to the administrators.

They seemed incredibly hopeful in the article (you posted it I think). The question is, if the preferred bidder has ceased hat throwing, who is next in line and are they likely to have even less fundage?

Looks like Wigan could be heading for the 15pts deduction as well as the 12pts (pending any appeal to remove). Another question would be, to any fan. Would you rather still have a club and accept the double punishment of relegation AND starting on -15pts; or be "saved" by someone like Jed McCroary?  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1254 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 09:24:45 »

After the news that Dover have put their whole team up for transfer and are likely to fold, Droylsden have resigned from the Northern Premier. Looks like they're hoping to sit next season out in mothballs and then rise again once COVID is done, but got to be decent money on this being the end for them

https://nonleaguedaily.com/droylsden-resign-from-northern-premier-league/
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #1255 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 11:04:02 »

This was our starting line up 3 years ago yesterday....

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1256 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 11:18:20 »

...at least we won.
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #1257 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 11:24:48 »

This was our starting line up 3 years ago yesterday....

they weren’t starting together but Lancashire and Robertson were, for me, the worst CBs (individually and together) I’ve ever seen watching town in the 22 years I’ve been going. 
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #1258 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 12:04:08 »

they weren’t starting together but Lancashire and Robertson were, for me, the worst CBs (individually and together) I’ve ever seen watching town in the 22 years I’ve been going. 

Yeah would have to agree mate, was bad times at the club. We've remarkably improved in all areas over the last year and a bit. 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1259 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 14:58:20 »

...at least we won.

I recall feeling quite upbeat about a winning start at Brunton Park, with what seemed to be a battling victory after the dross we'd witnessed under Luke and Embers.... still some people are never pleased, preferring a bit of Kingy "flick fanny" stuff, with some kids on loan from Chelsea over at least being competitve with some gnarled Div 4 type journeymen..
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: