Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444365 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: Monday, August 26, 2019, 17:49:10 »

See the BBC have wheeled out Wanker John McGinley to offer up his insightful opinion.

Cunt.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #811 on: Monday, August 26, 2019, 18:02:58 »

8 players under contract i see, not as many as I thought at Bury.

Did notice the assistant manager is David Byrne, I assume that’s our one?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #812 on: Monday, August 26, 2019, 18:39:04 »

8 players under contract i see, not as many as I thought at Bury.
Ha, it's about twice as many as I thought Smiley
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #813 on: Monday, August 26, 2019, 18:48:21 »

There must be a real question about how viable either club is going to be if they are essentially writing off an entire season.  Already the Bolton support is reducing, Bury have very little to begin with.  With youth teams playing all season they may mitigate some of the costs, but their income is going to tank, surely?  Maybe this was one of the sticking points for Bury - you pretty much have to underwrite an entire season of little to no income on top of paying the CVA (which may even come under scrutiny due to the potential dodginess on the last minute debt to the owner).

On top of that Bury have to slot 5 games into the season somewhere, without any further postponements.

You can see them both being back in the same boat a year from now if they do survive this, and then repeating it.  For Bolton, maybe there is just enough there to hang onto, but Bury may well be at a point where saving it is pointless and it would be better to start over.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #814 on: Monday, August 26, 2019, 19:19:36 »

Yep, Bury are going to have to start all over again as a Phoenix Club...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #815 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 09:25:14 »

There must be a real question about how viable either club is going to be if they are essentially writing off an entire season.  Already the Bolton support is reducing, Bury have very little to begin with.  With youth teams playing all season they may mitigate some of the costs, but their income is going to tank, surely?  Maybe this was one of the sticking points for Bury - you pretty much have to underwrite an entire season of little to no income on top of paying the CVA (which may even come under scrutiny due to the potential dodginess on the last minute debt to the owner).

On top of that Bury have to slot 5 games into the season somewhere, without any further postponements.

You can see them both being back in the same boat a year from now if they do survive this, and then repeating it.  For Bolton, maybe there is just enough there to hang onto, but Bury may well be at a point where saving it is pointless and it would be better to start over.

In both cases writing off a season will see them in Lg 2 next year so at least they will retain their status. As for playing yoof teams so be it, in both cases if legit owners take over they are going to need support from the fan base, if the fans don't come back then so be it, tough shit and your club goes under. May sound harsh but its a two way street.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #816 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 10:51:01 »

Excellent cartoon from David Squires on the plight of Bury and Bolton:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/aug/27/david-squires-on-bolton-bury-and-the-threat-to-our-football-clubs

Especially enjoying the guest appearance by herthab as the bloke who always shouts the same thing Smiley
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #817 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 11:09:14 »

Love that last line - ‘If the pyramid burns, even those at the top will eventually burn.’ He has a way of hitting the nail on the fucking head with unerring consistency.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #818 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 11:39:02 »

Love that last line - ‘If the pyramid burns, even those at the top will eventually burn.’ He has a way of hitting the nail on the fucking head with unerring consistency.

See, I think this is the myth we now tell ourselves, that it matters what goes on down here anymore.  I think the PL clubs have already insulated themselves.  They get Billions from overseas funding now, and those locations couldn't give a shit about Championship level, let alone Conference - unless they are expats watching games.

Closer to home they have Academies that now hoover up talent - the fact Chelsea had about 3 teams out on loan for example, and even then the youth's were too good to send to us.  They don't need to sign players through the system or really even bother with loaning them to us anymore, not the ones who make it.  It may make a part of the pyramid burn, but I think they've put  near fire proof wall up between us.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #819 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 11:50:48 »

See the BBC have wheeled out Wanker John McGinley to offer up his insightful opinion.

Cunt.

Seconded......If ever there was an occasion for VAR back in the day!

Clems Army!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #820 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 12:02:58 »

See, I think this is the myth we now tell ourselves, that it matters what goes on down here anymore.  I think the PL clubs have already insulated themselves.  They get Billions from overseas funding now, and those locations couldn't give a shit about Championship level, let alone Conference - unless they are expats watching games.

Closer to home they have Academies that now hoover up talent - the fact Chelsea had about 3 teams out on loan for example, and even then the youth's were too good to send to us.  They don't need to sign players through the system or really even bother with loaning them to us anymore, not the ones who make it.  It may make a part of the pyramid burn, but I think they've put  near fire proof wall up between us.

It's true, and it's virtually a different sport from the one I watch. I take an interest in the Prem in the same fairly distant way I follow the Six Nations or TMS without bothering with those sports at club level. But following STFC is almost as much about the chat in the Glue Pot / DRS / TEF over the last 35+ years as what actually happens on the pitch.

Losing that is the real tragedy for Bolton and Bury fans.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #821 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 12:09:32 »

See, I think this is the myth we now tell ourselves, that it matters what goes on down here anymore.  I think the PL clubs have already insulated themselves.  They get Billions from overseas funding now, and those locations couldn't give a shit about Championship level, let alone Conference - unless they are expats watching games.

Closer to home they have Academies that now hoover up talent - the fact Chelsea had about 3 teams out on loan for example, and even then the youth's were too good to send to us.  They don't need to sign players through the system or really even bother with loaning them to us anymore, not the ones who make it.  It may make a part of the pyramid burn, but I think they've put  near fire proof wall up between us.

Agreed, with the likes of Chelsea, Man City etc creating a new position of loan manager (or similar description) to deal with the players out on loan it speaks volumes.

In a sense Bolton will have longer than today as if no deal is done today then it just means the FL will give them 14 days notice of removing the golden share, so they can continue to negotiate, and I'm sure the administrator wont pull the plug with Bassini still hovering about claiming he has £39m.

As for Bury, their fans seem confident with the cleaning the stadium knowing they have to play Sat if they survive, I suspect that one will go to the wire and maybe drag into tomorrow, not sure how a deal can be agreed without investigations being done into the CVA though.

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #822 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 14:36:46 »

Matt Slater
@mjshrimper · 4m

Bury....some very big news will be hitting the wires shortly. It's not good.

Sounds ominous...

EDIT the company have pulled out of the purchase as due diligence unveiled a big old mess.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #823 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 14:44:56 »

Thats the end for them then
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #824 on: Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 14:57:27 »

So 59 minutes to find a new buyer and complete the process.  Angry Roll Eyes No
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 ... 102   Go Up
Print