Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 448085 times)
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 12:14:43 »

I don't think we'll pull in any extra fans, because Power owns a bit of Highworth or half the CG.... however we might pullin a few extra if we get back to Div 3 and play some winning football again at the CG.  That's what I'll carrying on basing my judgement of Power on.  I'm not sure the ownerships are necessary to make that happen....

Agree that only winning football will put more bums on seats, but the club has not spent anything on infrastructure for 25 years and we've been on a downward trajectory since.

I don't think it is a coincidence that we've been at our worse since we moved out of Liddington into a temporary home, on a variety of public parks and school 3G pitches.   A dedicated training ground with all the facilities in one place, that looks and feels like a professional outfit, may get an extra few % out of players and put us in a better place to attract players/loans/youngsters that have a few similar options.  

If we look and feel like we mean business it can only help the cause.

We just need to be less shit than everyone else to get out of this league, so small percentages matter.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 12:20:12 »

I don't think it is a coincidence that we've been at our worse since we moved out of Liddington into a temporary home, on a variety of public parks and school 3G pitches.   A dedicated training ground with all the facilities in one place, that looks and feels like a professional outfit, may get an extra few % out of players and put us in a better place to attract players/loans/youngsters that have a few similar options.   
While you're clearly doing a Reg by characterising Stanley Park and Beversbrook, both decent facilities, as "a variety of public parks and school 3G pitches", I'd agree that decent training facilities can make the difference in attracting loans etc. Andy King used to reckon that being able to show potential prospects around Liddington tipped the balance in several cases where players had options to choose from
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 12:44:51 »

There does seem to be a number on here, who are grateful to Power for at least keeping us afloat as a middling Div 4 outfit, rather than accepting we should be able to sustain a middling Div 3 club, as we have been for most of our 100 years in the FL.  I still maintain Power needs to up his game and get us back, to the Div 3 perch he inherited as owner.

I am not sure there are a number who are happy to stay in D4, but I am sure you are fully aware of this but ignoring as it fails to respect the tedious narrative being saved up for a told you so frenzy in the future. .

Whilst I am perfectly happy to accept that Power made some bloody woeful decisions early on I am intrigued to know what he has done over the last 3 managerial appointments which could have been done differently, we have had a budget up there and a manager that looked at least on paper to be a good choice, Power has stepped back and let them mainly get on with up?

Intrigued to know in what way you think he needs to 'up his game' apart from throwing cash at it which does not necessarily end well?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 12:49:59 »

Agree that only winning football will put more bums on seats, but the club has not spent anything on infrastructure for 25 years and we've been on a downward trajectory since.

I don't think it is a coincidence that we've been at our worse since we moved out of Liddington into a temporary home, on a variety of public parks and school 3G pitches.   A dedicated training ground with all the facilities in one place, that looks and feels like a professional outfit, may get an extra few % out of players and put us in a better place to attract players/loans/youngsters that have a few similar options.  

If we look and feel like we mean business it can only help the cause.

We just need to be less shit than everyone else to get out of this league, so small percentages matter.

Interestingly when I argued previously on here that I wasn't happy about leaving Liddington and going to Calne.... I got the usual shit about just being "negative" and it would make no difference.  That, of course, the idea was arrived at after careful thought and then backed up later, by analysis which confirmed our results at the CG had deteriorated in the post Liddington time frame, was merely met with just a coincidence...

So yes, whilst I think that having the improved facilties would be desirable, and may help in persuading players to sign, it's more likely they can be persuaded by their wage packet. Wellens made the point a while back that he was finding it difficult to convince players we were a "big club" in Div 4, and good facilities would have to be backed by good wages for that to happen.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 13:31:11 »

A bright light in a thoroughly depressing thread....

Looks like some positive news for The Heed,

http://www.gfcsoul.co.uk/2019/05/gateshead-fc-future-takeover/

Finally it appears the fan led consortium have got their hands on the club and can now work with the FA to try and sort the regulatory problems to retain their league position.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 13:47:21 »

While you're clearly doing a Reg

Ouch! - can't you just call me a cunt  Smiley 

As good as they are, looking at it from a players perspective they are closer to non-league than championship facilities. 
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 13:53:49 »

Interestingly when I argued previously on here that I wasn't happy about leaving Liddington and going to Calne.... I got the usual shit about just being "negative" and it would make no difference.  That, of course, the idea was arrived at after careful thought and then backed up later, by analysis which confirmed our results at the CG had deteriorated in the post Liddington time frame, was merely met with just a coincidence...

So yes, whilst I think that having the improved facilties would be desirable, and may help in persuading players to sign, it's more likely they can be persuaded by their wage packet. Wellens made the point a while back that he was finding it difficult to convince players we were a "big club" in Div 4, and good facilities would have to be backed by good wages for that to happen.

I was only a lurker then but I'm sure they were just winding you up  Smiley   

Wages will win more often than not, but we can't (and often don't) outspend the opposition.   Loans from champ/prem in particular will want good facilities to help development.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 13:54:28 »

Ouch! - can't you just call me a cunt  Smiley  

As good as they are, looking at it from a players perspective they are closer to non-league than championship facilities.  

As we are closer to non-league football than championship football sounds perfectly reasonable.  Wink
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 13:59:42 »

Ouch! - can't you just call me a cunt  Smiley 
Cheesy
Yes, and I agreed with your general point, but they're still a lot better than "public parks" and "school 3G pitches"
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 14:12:45 »

:DYes, and I agreed with your general point, but they're still a lot better than "public parks" and "school 3G pitches"

Glad you agree  Beers
Apologies for poor wording in emphasis - they have trained at Lydiard park academy on a few occasions which is where the 2nd point came in.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 14:59:25 »

Glad you agree  Beers
Apologies for poor wording in emphasis - they have trained at Lydiard park academy on a few occasions which is where the 2nd point came in.
The 1st team? I know the Academy train there up to U16s but are you sure the 1st team have? I'd be surprised, if nothing else because it's so heavily used by the Academy lads
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 15:03:31 »

Intrigued to know in what way you think he needs to 'up his game' apart from throwing cash at it which does not necessarily end well?

The most obvious thing would be to concentrate on one club... either STFC or Waterford, and if the latter to sell on the former.  It seems to me obvious that if you're struggling to fund one club to the level required to at least tread water, then you shouldn't be spending money at another.

If you're proper minted like the Man City lot, or even Benham at Brentford, then fair enough, but neither of them have slipped down the league...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 15:18:17 »

The most obvious thing would be to concentrate on one club... either STFC or Waterford, and if the latter to sell on the former.  It seems to me obvious that if you're struggling to fund one club to the level required to at least tread water, then you shouldn't be spending money at another.

If you're proper minted like the Man City lot, or even Benham at Brentford, then fair enough, but neither of them have slipped down the league...

Hasn't Power been clear all along that with the right offer he is open to sell, all rather hypothetical without anyone prepared to pay the cash to buy the club though isn't it?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #508 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 15:41:55 »

Hasn't Power been clear all along that with the right offer he is open to sell, all rather hypothetical without anyone prepared to pay the cash to buy the club though isn't it?
Yes and yes.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 15:42:05 »

I want an owner who's decisions improve the playing side.... as to whether he'll sell the club, is nether here or there. TBF when Power first came in using the TT link and spending a bit on a Luongo/Byrne type, things did stay top end Div 3, for a season or so.... Power then cashed in and seemed to lose interest, along with the TT link.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: