Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Stevenage official match day thread  (Read 59642 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 09:59:25 »

I thought we were looking foir 3 goals....

All I could find without delving back into the 60's and 70's.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 10:11:17 »

Pryce and twine played well - the way pryce took his second goal was very assured for someone his age

Thought Woolfendon was next best player behind pryce - won near enough everything that came forwards

Would replace Taylor for diagouraga when he’s back, and felt we missed dunnes energy as the half progressed. Doughty is a cut above for this level

Vigs needs dropping. Whatever he was doing for that first goal, absolutely criminal. Added to that I cant help but feel an inexperienced back 4 could be marshalled a lot better with a grizzled veteran shouting at them non-stop
Spot on, I would probably play Taylor at LB rather than Iandolo on balance.

Vigs I feel is not as good an all round keeper as LmC, he should have done a bit better with the first goal, the 2nd goal though he had no chance with shuch a huge defelction, a couple of times he came running out for the ball only for him to look stranded and the defnder rushing to clear his lines instead of calling for it. His communication and decision making leave a bit to be desired IMO.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 10:17:36 »

All I could find without delving back into the 60's and 70's.

I'd offer the infamous game v Wovers in March 82.... we beat them 5-2 4 goals for Brian Hughes, Paul Rideout with 2 and Charlie Henry.  Infamous because it ws probably the most violent off field game ever seen at the CG.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19820129
Peter Venkman

« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 10:20:19 »

I've no idea how anyone can criticise Keshi for last night, and highlight his work rate. When Pryce and Twine were dead, it was Keshi who led the press for the last 20. And he was excellent on the ball the first 70.

All round, tons of positives. Add Diag, Dunne, Bayo and eventually Woolery to the squad but maintain that attitude, pressing, enthusiasm, intent and we could be on to something. I think Dunne for Taylor in that mf makes it very mobile.

Still, think Iandolo has a lot of work to do defensively but he's a very good attacking LB.

Knoyle is very much becoming indispensable. Nelson and Woolf were fantastic. Doughty so good in the ball.

They did overrun us on transition a couple of times, the first goal in particular when for some reason it was three on one wide right.

On to Sunday. Would rotate a little. Smith for Taylor for sure, but keep the front three the same. A win and a good third round draw and all of a sudden we have a season.
I agree on all of that.

Flashheart

« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 10:22:51 »

It speaks volumes that some of them were as knackered as they were. For too long they've been asked to play at a sedentary pace, no wonder we've been struggling for goals.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 10:30:35 »

It speaks volumes that some of them were as knackered as they were. For too long they've been asked to play at a sedentary pace, no wonder we've been struggling for goals.

It's been mentioned before that the slow starts, are probably due to a fear of running out of legs late on... it's all about game management.  Further endurance athletes come into their prime later on, kids just haven't developed the stamina.

Although Matty Taylor may not be as quick as some of the kids, I reckon his fitness stats are probably higher.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 10:32:23 »

Well, I went in dread but have to say, I haven't enjoyed a home performance like that in a long, long time. It wasn't perfect at all but to see a bunch of young lads work their absolute socks off and play decent football really gave me a good buzz about the club. I thought Iandolo, Twine, Keshi, Doughty, Alzate and Woolf were magnificent. Pryce obviously gets the headlines and I found him an interesting player... The runs he made for the two goals were amazing but he had to be carried through a lot of the game, mostly by Taylor who was telling him where to go and where to play the ball. Nonetheless, a memorable debut.

If this is what we can expect from Wellens then I think we can finish this season strongly. Stevenage were no mugs, looked a decent side.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #322 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 10:32:57 »

Although Matty Taylor may not be as quick as some of the kids, I reckon his fitness stats are probably higher.
Taylors fitness level is not much of an issue, his lack of pace can be though.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 10:36:55 »

Taylors fitness level is not much of an issue, his lack of pace can be though.

I'm just saying it's why we don't come out of the traps like greyhounds.... Usain Bolt is quick but stick him in an 800 metres and he'd be fucked, probably couldn't run a half marathon.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #324 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 10:45:35 »

I was just going to post that the Adver missed out on the Headline " The Pryce is right" then bang....they had done it already!

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 11:09:19 »

Didn't bother with iFollow last night - the 2 times I have watched home games on it have been horrendous (Bury and Cambridge).

Seems there is some life left in the club - that result/performance needs to be replicated on a consistent basis.

Newport up next in the League - another decent side but have conceded 32 goals. Let's be honest, there's nobody in this league that is that much better than any other.

There's hope yet!
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 11:11:46 »

Spot on, I would probably play Taylor at LB rather than Iandolo on balance.

See I wouldn’t JJ.

Iandolo (and Knoyle) could be key to the way Wellens wants to play. Both able to get on the ball and run at players, able to cut inside and create chances for themselves from full back. I fear if you put Taylor back in there, you would lose the creativity of someone like Iandolo, and he would do his usual punt up the line as soon as he’s got the ball.

I also think we have players more than capable of putting a good set piece in. (Iandolo, Alzate, Doughty) so when Toumani, Dunne and McCourt are all available, I think Taylor could be seeing himself out of the team.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 11:13:19 by Quagmire » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 11:19:53 »

There's hope yet!

It's the hope that gets you.... think last night should just be enjoyed for what it was, maybe a sign of something better.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 11:30:08 »

I was just going to post that the Adver missed out on the Headline " The Pryce is right" then bang....they had done it already!

The OS did it last night.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 11:48:28 »

See I wouldn’t JJ.

Iandolo (and Knoyle) could be key to the way Wellens wants to play. Both able to get on the ball and run at players, able to cut inside and create chances for themselves from full back. I fear if you put Taylor back in there, you would lose the creativity of someone like Iandolo, and he would do his usual punt up the line as soon as he’s got the ball.

I also think we have players more than capable of putting a good set piece in. (Iandolo, Alzate, Doughty) so when Toumani, Dunne and McCourt are all available, I think Taylor could be seeing himself out of the team.
Agree with this although Iandolo needs to work on the defensive side of things. We were much more mobile last night and having quick players both sides of defence is a good to have. When Taylor plays left back once he gets turns he's out of the game as he can't catch up, a number of times last night the fullbacks were able to still get back and cut out the attack. I think the only place for Taylor now is the holding midfield role and with a fully fit squad the competition may push him out.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: