Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Amazon Echo type thing for telly  (Read 2653 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 09:41:24 »

My Mum wants an Echo (or similar) for Christmas - i.e. voice controlled Smart Speaker. No problem, dead easy. But she also wants to be able to voice control the telly too. I know the Fire Stick TV can be voice controlled but that's just the FireStick content whereas I think she wants to be able to turn the TV on and off, change to ITV etc with voice. Without buying a new telly, anything we can plug into a 5-year old LG telly that will do this?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 09:44:01 »

As an FYI, the echo spot is half price on Amazon at the moment.

I am getting some for my nieces for Christmas. No idea what they do but its what they want! Kids huh!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:11:35 »

Some TVs have skills that can do such thing (skills are like apps for alexa)

e.g.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00186768

So I guess if the LG isn't smart and doesn't have a skill, the only thing you could do is find an STB that is Alexa compatible. It won't solve the TV on/off question though unless there is some jiggery pokery in HDMI control I don't know about..

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:45:40 »

My Mum wants an Echo (or similar) for Christmas - i.e. voice controlled Smart Speaker. No problem, dead easy. But she also wants to be able to voice control the telly too. I know the Fire Stick TV can be voice controlled but that's just the FireStick content whereas I think she wants to be able to turn the TV on and off, change to ITV etc with voice. Without buying a new telly, anything we can plug into a 5-year old LG telly that will do this?

You could just tell her to turn it over with the remote control and stop being a lazy arse?  Wink
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:46:58 »

Isn't that what remotes are for?  Hmmm
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 11:56:48 »

Yeah didn't see the advantage of voice over remote myself either but I think after 50 years of living with my Dad she's just got used to shouting at things to make them do what she wants!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 12:58:14 »

Logitech harmony + Alexa would fit the bill. It's fucking pricey though at £200+ for the one that does everything. I think there is a cheaper one at <£100 that may work mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: