Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Intel Stand  (Read 26361 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 14:17:23 »

When did it open, I always thought it was for the Premier season, but just watching the highlights of Newcastle visit in September 1993 and its still the old Aldershot stand in the background?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 14:25:22 »

When did it open, I always thought it was for the Premier season, but just watching the highlights of Newcastle visit in September 1993 and its still the old Aldershot stand in the background?

The season after Prem, so 94/95.  Think the first game was v Port Vale.  For a few late 80's early 90's years, we had a little conmmunity in the Shrivenham Road.... good bunch of lads, only time I saw them. It was about on the half way line. half time flasks would come out and whisky, rum or brandy would be fired in especially in winter.

With the Intel, an effort was made at first to try and recreate, but it just wasn't anywhere near the same and soon faded.

The Andy Mutch goal in that Magpies match adorned the opening sequence of Grandstand, for a while showing the South Side in all its rust covered glory.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 14:27:30 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 14:47:34 »

The season after Prem, so 94/95.  Think the first game was v Port Vale.  For a few late 80's early 90's years, we had a little conmmunity in the Shrivenham Road.... good bunch of lads, only time I saw them. It was about on the half way line. half time flasks would come out and whisky, rum or brandy would be fired in especially in winter.

With the Intel, an effort was made at first to try and recreate, but it just wasn't anywhere near the same and soon faded.

The Andy Mutch goal in that Magpies match adorned the opening sequence of Grandstand, for a while showing the South Side in all its rust covered glory.

That would make sense, we seemed to play Port Vale at home near the start of every season in the mid/late 90's always seemed to get that game in before going back to Uni.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 14:57:55 »

That would make sense, we seemed to play Port Vale at home near the start of every season in the mid/late 90's always seemed to get that game in before going back to Uni.

I remember our first ever Div 4  game was v the Burslem boys August 28th 82, you got a proper pre season back then.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 15:14:02 »

The clubs portion of payment for the stand came from our year in the Prem, hence why we didn't spend a significant amount on players, bar Fjortoft (£500k) which was our record signing.  Mind you that was the year before parachute payments were introduced so we lucked out on timing.  Can't really blame them for not spending a chunk on the squad.

I was a steward at the club in the Prem season and remember standing in the South stand for a good portion of that season.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 15:52:27 »

I got a couple of pics of it being built. 1994.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 16:14:22 »

Anyone who sat in the new stand in that first game vs Port Vale (which I think we won 2-0?) came a way with a thin layer of concrete dust on their shoes/clothes.  It was so new.  Over 20 yrs later, I still think of it as the 'new' stand.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 16:44:14 »

Anyone who sat in the new stand in that first game vs Port Vale (which I think we won 2-0?) came a way with a thin layer of concrete dust on their shoes/clothes.  It was so new.  Over 20 yrs later, I still think of it as the 'new' stand.

Fjørtoft (who else) and the donkey that was Keith Scott with the goals....I think...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 16:45:49 »

Indeed, they looked a good partnership at the start of that season, in fact, we looked good for a bit.  We still had moments towards the bitter end as well, like trouncing West Brown away.  That was our Forest under Clough being too good to go down season.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 16:48:54 »

Selling Fjørtoft killed us.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 17:06:01 »

Indeed, they looked a good partnership at the start of that season, in fact, we looked good for a bit.  We still had moments towards the bitter end as well, like trouncing West Brown away.  That was our Forest under Clough being too good to go down season.

More a typical Town season, finish 4th bottom in a season when 4 go down due to trimming the Prem. There was one other, but they'll be the only 2 when that could have happened.

Similar was 86/87 when we finished 3rd in Div 3 which for a number of years was an auto slot, so we have to go into the lottery of the first PO.  Happily we prevailed but very tight.
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 18:55:38 »

More a typical Town season, finish 4th bottom in a season when 4 go down due to trimming the Prem. There was one other, but they'll be the only 2 when that could have happened.

Similar was 86/87 when we finished 3rd in Div 3 which for a number of years was an auto slot, so we have to go into the lottery of the first PO.  Happily we prevailed but very tight.

The only slight saving grace from that season was Reading finishing second and not going up automatically. Flunked the play-off final too.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 19:02:23 »

The only slight saving grace from that season was Reading finishing second and not going up automatically. Flunked the play-off final too.

Good recall. Was Jimmy Quinn manager?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 19:23:06 »

Anyone remember the pissers in the Shrivvy?  No
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 21:56:57 »

Think you're out by about 10 yrs.  Reading missing out on automatic promotion and losing to Bolton in the PO final was in the mid/late 1990s.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: