Poll
Question: Would you support a kickstarter?  (Voting closed: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 12:16:08)
Yes - 17 (89.5%)
No - 2 (10.5%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 52   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Loathed Strangers Podcast  (Read 327425 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #510 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:37:00 »

And Fila trackie tops for the smoking jackets
Sounds plausible, and the roaring fire replaced by the Hades that is the Wetherpoons pizza oven?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: Friday, August 2, 2019, 10:44:09 »

Sounds plausible, and the roaring fire replaced by the Hades that is the Wetherpoons pizza oven?
Or a fireplace still smouldering from Mike Ashley's piss.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Thursday, August 8, 2019, 12:53:37 »

Jordan Stewart....

https://soundcloud.com/user-613048186/jordan-stewart
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Friday, August 9, 2019, 09:38:15 »

Just listened to the Jordan Stewart one on my morning run, interesting listen. On the one hand, listening to him it's easy to see now in hindsight why it didn't work for him (and tbf he acknowledges his part in that); on a more upbeat note, he's clearly grown and learned from the experience, albeit perhaps too late to take his chance. As I say, interesting listen.

However, I was extremely disappointed at the lack of swearing in this episode - more fucks and bastards in future or I will be putting in a furious complaint to the Podcast Ombudsman forthwith!
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #514 on: Thursday, August 15, 2019, 07:59:34 »

Another great one today with Zaboooooooob. Comes across like a very nice chap
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Friday, August 16, 2019, 18:36:58 »

Always loved him as a player, came across really well on the podcast. Nice work as always!

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: Friday, August 16, 2019, 21:07:32 »

If I may say, the episodes involving ex-players are excellent. 

It is, of course, easy to be critical and that is not the intention (although I appreciate that statements of this ilk often indicate that you do, in fact, often mean the opposite) but I can take or leave the other content. 

It occurs to me that mindless rants from supporters involving sentiments such as 'sack the board, sack the manager' after each defeat are unlikely to make interesting or enjoyable content.   

Nothing to see here
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Friday, August 16, 2019, 22:24:48 »

Yep really good that one as well. Going back to the question about why it didn't really work. I thought then personally at the time I was expecting him to be the new Austin straight away, maybe others did as well and he wasn't ready. Be good if he got another shot. Only one goal which i was there for and it sticks in the memory, so he did more than most.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: Friday, August 16, 2019, 22:51:40 »

If I may say, the episodes involving ex-players are excellent.  

It is, of course, easy to be critical and that is not the intention (although I appreciate that statements of this ilk often indicate that you do, in fact, often mean the opposite) but I can take or leave the other content.  

It occurs to me that mindless rants from supporters involving sentiments such as 'sack the board, sack the manager' after each defeat are unlikely to make interesting or enjoyable content.    

Thanks for the feedback, JBZ.

Judging by the stats I think The Loathed Strangers is the epitome of a 'pick and choose' podcast. I have a core listenership well into the hundreds but there are plenty of folk in the shadows waiting for the 'names' to be annouced on the pod. Nowt wrong with that either.

You'd also be surprised with how well the present day/weekly round-ups do. Although Swindon is where the pod is downloaded most, I have a dedicated listenership of expats and out-of-towners.

[This is going to be a bit of a ramble... sorry]

Despite this, I sort of agree with you because the 'current season' stuff was never my intention for the podcast, I was very reluctant initially on that front.

I was keen, for various reasons, to keep the entire thing historical but realised very early on (whilst still in pre-production) that the pod would be, at best, sporadic if I stuck to the plan. I wanted to create weekly content in order to build a listenership and have a regular Swindon Town podcast so, as a result, I was prepared to fill the gap left by The Washbag.

There was a period early on where I started doubting the practicality of the whole project but Matthew had made the amazing theme, John did the great artwork and Ben W had committed to help from the absolute start so they inspired me to press on. The ex-player bit was/is ambitious and I'm still motivated by the cynical 'yeah... good luck with that' messages I receieved when I was pitching it in the months long before the first episode was recorded.

It's been a crazy year. I work on the ex-player element of the podcast every single day, without fail. The planning is a lot of work. So much so that I've had to be less thorough recently. The journey from first contact with a guest to the actual recording of the episode can sometimes take weeks/months.

I've negotiated, prepped and sat down ready to record on 4 or 5 occasions only for everything to fall through at the last minute. It's frustrating but I love doing the pod so when that happens it's a case of shutting everything down, having a cup of tea and getting on with my evening with zero ill feelings towards the ex-player.

I can't please everyone and, frankly, it's impossible and I'd go insane trying. I've been subject to plenty of shitty DMs criticising me for not using the pod as a platform to criticise Lee Power. I have no problems with 'have you tried this player?' messages but I also get stuff telling me my guests aren't from their favourite era. All sorts. I see it as all part of the territory to be honest so it's never really got to me.

This is helped by the really nice comments I get plus recent events like the club helping me out with bits and pieces and I might have sponsorship secured soon which is great.

I'm also lucky to have 4-5 people behind the scenes who support me with the pod in various ways from bouncing ideas around, to contacting potential guests off their own back to just being a source of regular moral support! Some are on TEF and they know who they are and I'm hugely grateful.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 17, 2019, 07:04:31 by Costanza » Logged
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: Friday, August 16, 2019, 23:33:58 »

Rich, I've listened to every single one of the podcasts and I have absolutely loved every single word. I'll be honest, it took me a while to come around to Ben. W, but he speaks eloquently and knowledably about current Swindon. It has also been a pleasure to hear how your interview technique has improved over the last year and now it seems like you're having a comfy chat with whomever it may be, the Austin podcast being case in point.

Keep up the good work, the negative comments you receive that you refer to above are seemingly conceived by narrow minded, selfish bottom feeders. Your podcast has done wonders for bringing the fan closer to the club and you should take time the time to give yourself a hearty slap on the back. Please carry on in the same vane.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Panda Paws

« Reply #520 on: Friday, August 16, 2019, 23:37:06 »

Rich, I've listened to every single one of the podcasts and I have absolutely loved every single word. I'll be honest, it took me a while to come around to Ben. W, but he speaks eloquently and knowledably about current Swindon. It has also been a pleasure to hear how your interview technique has improved over the last year and now it seems like you're having a comfy chat with whomever it may be, the Austin podcast being case in point.

Keep up the good work, the negative comments you receive that you refer to above are seemingly conceived by narrow minded, selfish bottom feeders. Your podcast has done wonders for bringing the fan closer to the club and you should take time the time to give yourself a hearty slap on the back. Please carry on in the same vane.

I started to write a reposte to some of your grief but this does it better than I can.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: Saturday, August 17, 2019, 03:24:19 »

Judging by the stats I think The Loathed Strangers is the epitome of a 'pick and choose' podcast. I have a core listenership well into the hundreds but there are plenty of folk in the shadows waiting for the 'names' to be annouced on the pod. Nowt wrong with that either.

You'd also be surprised with how well the present day/weekly round-ups do. Although Swindon is where the pod is downloaded most, I have a dedicated listenership of expats and out-of-towners.

Despite this, I sort of agree with you because the 'current season' stuff was never my intention for the podcast, I was very reluctant initially on that front.

I was very keen, for various reasons, to keep the entire thing historical but realised very early on (whilst still in pre-production) that the pod would be, at best, sporadic if I stuck to the plan. I wanted to do weekly content to build a listenership and have a regular Swindon Town podcast so, so a result, I was prepared to fill the gap left by The Washbag.

There was a period where I started doubting the practicality of the whole project but Matthew had made the amazing theme, John did the great artwork and Ben W had committed to help from the absolute start so they inspired me to press on. The ex-player bit was/is ambitious and I'm still motivated by the cynical 'yeah... good luck with that' messages I receieved when I was pitching it in the months long before the first episode was recorded.

It's been a crazy year. I work on the ex-player element of the podcast every single day, without fail. The planning is a lot of work. So much so that I've had to be less thorough recently. The journey from first contact with a guest to the actual recording the episode can sometimes take weeks/months.

I've negotiated, prepped and sat down ready to record on 4 or 5 occasions only for everything to fall through at the last minute. It's frustrating but I love doing the pod so when that happens it's a case of shutting everything down, having a cup of tea and getting on with my evening with zero ill feelings towards the ex-player.

I can't please everyone and, frankly, it's impossible and I'd go insane trying. I've been subject to plenty of shitty DMs criticising me for not using the pod as a platform to criticise Lee Power. I have no problems with 'have you tried this player?' messages but I also get stuff telling me my guests aren't from their favourite era. All sorts. I see it as all part of the territory to be honest so it's never really got to me.

This is helped by the really nice comments I get plus recent events like the club helping me out with bits and pieces and I might have sponsorship secured soon which is great.

I'm also lucky to have 4-5 people behind the scenes who support me with the pod in various ways from bouncing ideas around, to contacting potential guests off their own back to just being a source regular moral support! Some are on TEF and they know who they are and I'm hugely grateful.

Costanza - the podcasts have been extremely informative and interesting, providing great insight/entertainment and as a fan who started going to games in the 1970's, tick all the boxes as far as I'm concerned. Given the general negativity on all matters by certain elements of our fan base, it is very refreshing to have a proper fan such as yourself provide such excellent material for the wider fanbase. Please keep up your brilliant work, it is very much appreciated by myself and I am sure many others.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: Saturday, August 17, 2019, 07:13:40 »

I was very keen, for various reasons, to keep the entire thing historical but realised very early on (whilst still in pre-production) that the pod would be, at best, sporadic if I stuck to the plan. I wanted to do weekly content to build a listenership and have a regular Swindon Town podcast so, so a result, I was prepared to fill the gap left by The Washbag.

There was a period where I started doubting the practicality of the whole project but Matthew had made the amazing theme, John did the great artwork and Ben W had committed to help from the absolute start so they inspired me to press on. The ex-player bit was/is ambitious and I'm still motivated by the cynical 'yeah... good luck with that' messages I receieved when I was pitching it in the months long before the first episode was recorded.

It's been a crazy year. I work on the ex-player element of the podcast every single day, without fail. The planning is a lot of work. So much so that I've had to be less thorough recently. The journey from first contact with a guest to the actual recording the episode can sometimes take weeks/months.

I'm also lucky to have 4-5 people behind the scenes who support me with the pod in various ways from bouncing ideas around, to contacting potential guests off their own back to just being a source regular moral support! Some are on TEF and they know who they are and I'm hugely grateful.

Don't let the twazzocks put you off.  Plainly, there is a sizeable core audience that appreciates your efforts. 

To add to the unsolicited feedback, more 'fringe player' episodes would be good.

Nothing to see here
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: Saturday, August 17, 2019, 12:24:34 »

I find myself looking forward to the weekly round ups and I didn't think that would be the case.  For me it's no different to coming on the TEF to see what everyone else thought about the match.  For anyone who drives a lot, podcasts are a must, and TLS is top of my list if i have episodes i have not heard.

There have been the odd guest I wasn't bothered about and the odd episode that i listened to because I had nothing else like the Ooh ST eps, but on the whole I think you get your content pretty spot on.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: Saturday, August 17, 2019, 13:27:51 »

For what it’s worth, I love the other content - more about how we’re setting up, current players, opposition, the rest of the league etc. Something for everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 52   Go Up
Print
Jump to: