Poll
Question: Would you support a kickstarter?  (Voting closed: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 12:16:08)
Yes - 17 (89.5%)
No - 2 (10.5%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 52   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Loathed Strangers Podcast  (Read 327385 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 13:43:51 »

enjoyed Joe Butler.  football has changed massively since those days.  a poor crowd was 12,000.  facilities and pitches are incomparably better.  Clubs and NOT players decided if never mind when a player was transferred.  Only 14-16 players turning out over a whole season.  No loans in and out and being frustrated having to wait a few months for the January transfer window. Interesting how Joe talks about manager Williams wheeling and dealing until he got the right blend.  

In terms of winning games, what came out was how that, once refined, that tiny squad came to feel they could "rely on" every other team mate to perform their "role" and how this gave them the belief as a group to believe they could beat anyone.

The value of Joe's unflashy, steely "holding" role came to be recognised by the fans with a player of the year award.  However, I was slightly surprised by his lack of acknowledgement of the Don's role.  He only acknowledged that having some "exceptional talents" meant you always had a chance of beating a bigger team but didn't name the Don in that context.  Only to say he was best off keeping out the way for defensive duties.  The Don's lurking was often deadly but do you think Joe resented it?  A no nonsense team mate, the equally tough Frank Burrows, is on record as saying he was always happy with the Don not tracking back etc because of all the win bonuses the Don earned for Frank.

Your podcasts are a great contribution to the club's history.  They are becoming a really significant contribution to the unmatched swindon-town-fc.co.uk site.  A picture (video) may be worth a thousand words but those words that you elicit reach places beyond mere pictures.  Your relaxed interviewing style is underpinned by praiseworthy research and gets the best out of your subjects. Excuse this saccharin praise but it's deserved and obviously appreciated widely by posters here.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 13:45:46 by RedRag » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 16:31:27 »

Hey Rich, just a thought and could be a way of tapping into a few more ex players etc. With the STFC FPA launched this week, you might be able to network and get yourself a pass to the inaugural dinner? If it were me, I'd certainly be contacting the club and making them aware of what you're trying to achieve. No harm in asking Smiley

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2018/october/former-players-association-launched/

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 16:46:50 »

The club know the podcast exists and have already been helpful in some areas. I think a few people within the club listen.

I’ll try and contact Dick Mattick.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 17:52:46 »

Listened to the Joe Butler one today and really enjoyed it. Excellent work! That was my favourite era and brought back lots of memories.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 18:12:17 »

Listened to the Joe Butler one today and really enjoyed it. Excellent work! That was my favourite era and brought back lots of memories.

Thanks PF!

I’d love to vary the generations.

Received a bunch of contact details recently (mostly from one era) and feel that I owe it to the person who gave me those details to work through them first!
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 19:29:32 »

Just started listening to a few of these. Tremendous stuff. Well done and thank you.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 11:44:25 »

The club know the podcast exists and have already been helpful in some areas. I think a few people within the club listen.

I'm pretty sure Dick Mattick was on the supporters' plane to the Anglo Italian cup final in Naples. It would be interesting to hear/read his thoughts on that memorable day
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 12:34:29 »

This made me think of Dick Mackey, I bet he would be good on the podcast, Rich, having been at the club 18 years.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 13:59:24 »

Would David Squires be a good one?
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 14:04:18 »

David Prutton would be an interesting one and in fact Jonathan Douglas would be a cracker. Be interesting to get his angle on things. The former would be tough to get with Sky commitments but the latter. Worth a try.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 15:07:01 »

Would David Squires be a good one?

I've had Mr. Squires on board for quite a while. I'm going to be doing a 'My XI' series and David has agreed to do that.

Smiley
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 19:12:14 »

David Prutton would be an interesting one and in fact Jonathan Douglas would be a cracker. Be interesting to get his angle on things. The former would be tough to get with Sky commitments but the latter. Worth a try.

Sod those pair of cunts.
Bottling wankers.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 19:59:14 »

Sod those pair of cunts.
Bottling wankers.

Yeah but that's why it'd be interesting. Especially Douglas. Lots of people had the opinion Morshead was/is a cunt but many have changed their opinion on him after Rich's interview.

'Incessant Nonsense'

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #163 on: Friday, November 2, 2018, 09:29:29 »

I still think he's a cunt. HTH.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Friday, November 2, 2018, 09:43:24 »

This made me think of Dick Mackey, I bet he would be good on the podcast, Rich, having been at the club 18 years.

That would be VERY interesting! I know a relative of his if you need any help getting hold of him
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 52   Go Up
Print
Jump to: