Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: For people who thought we played well today.....  (Read 22918 times)
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 19:38:11 »

First half - yes played very well and created a number of good chances.
Half time - Williams does his usual motivational team talk
Second half - We don't turn up and the less said about the substitutions the better.

People will do well to remember it was Oldham we were playing for fuck sake. If the crowd were satisfied with a 0-0 draw with them after such a shit second half then we really are doomed as a club

Don't tell me, you were one of those booing the Ince sub, weren't you? Williams justifiably gets a lot of stick, especially recently, but for once that one had a bit of logic to it at least. Ince was dead on his feet, giving fouls away for fun and on a yellow.

No one was satisfied with a draw, every man and his dog knew we needed a win. Even so, it was a better 90 minutes from town than we've seen lately. Yes the second half was a bit shit compared to the first, but at least we didn't capitulate for a change, still made chances and had a team that kept going 'till the whistle. Everyone knows we're essentially fucked, but shouting and screaming at the players after a draw is going to achieve the square route of fuck all at this moment in time. The time for abusing our own players has been and gone (I got most of it out of my system during the Pox match).

Whilst there's still a fair few matches to play until we're confirmed as down yet, you have to take what positives you can from the performance. We all know that if this is the signs of the "green shoots of recovery", we could have done with it a few fucking weeks ago, but I'd rather it now, than in the last 5 games of the season.

Just because some of us chose to give the team a bit of a clap for their efforts today, doesn't fucking mean we're all clapping seals blindly being led over the cliff to relegation. Some of us are capable of seeing the grey area between shit and sensational.

« Last Edit: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 19:43:49 by WEBBERhyde » Logged
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 19:38:26 »

Oldham have won 3 of their last 4 league games, before today...

Yeah but we're Swindon, we shouldn't lose to anyone that hasn't won the Champions league at least twice Wink
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 19:41:33 »

I thought we played well cos we did. Excuse me for that revelation.
We played better, against a pretty poor team who'd come for a draw when we needed a win. Not 1/3 of a win in Williams-nonsense speak. Excuse me if I'm not doing cartwheels.

Oh, and anyone who boos their own team during the game is a prick anyway.
Generally agree, but for once, and against all my usual principles, I joined in the chants of "You don't know what you're doing" when Williams took Ince and Obika off. It was aimed at the "manager", not the team, but you're right it doesn't help the team so I probably shouldn't have done. But in my defence, and that of others who joined in the chant, we did not have nearly so negative an effect on the team as whatever the anaesthetist says to them at half time. Every fucking week.

EDIT: And to counter that I also joined in clapping the players at the end, they did at least put a shift in and deserve credit for that
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 19:43:10 by pauld » Logged
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 19:42:05 »

Was a draw good enough, nope we needed to win.

The difference between today and previous games is that at least we created some chances, the problem is we didn't take them.
since 75

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 19:43:10 »

I thought we played well cos we did. Excuse me for that revelation.

Yes, it might not have been for 90 minutes and yes we missed so many chances, but what a lot of people have been clamouring for lately seems to be some form of effort/attacking intent and we saw that today. We are hardly likely to start playing like the best team in the division now, are we?

Oh, and anyone who boos their own team during the game is a prick anyway.

This.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 19:50:39 »

We played better, against a pretty poor team who'd come for a draw when we needed a win. Not 1/3 of a win in Williams-nonsense speak. Excuse me if I'm not doing cartwheels.
Generally agree, but for once, and against all my usual principles, I joined in the chants of "You don't know what you're doing" when Williams took Ince and Obika off. It was aimed at the "manager", not the team, but you're right it doesn't help the team so I probably shouldn't have done. But in my defence, and that of others who joined in the chant, we did not have nearly so negative an effect on the team as whatever the anaesthetist says to them at half time. Every fucking week.

EDIT: And to counter that I also joined in clapping the players at the end, they did at least put a shift in and deserve credit for that

What I was eluding to was that 'playing better' as you say is the best we could have done. We weren't going to become world beaters over night.

I'd join anyone in questioning some of Williams' decisions / ability to motivate, but one thing that doesn't motivate is booing. Ince looked on his arse to me at that stage anyway, but even if he hadn't, the negative atmosphere around the ground is hardly going to inspire the players. It does exactly the opposite.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 19:57:06 »

What I was eluding to was that 'playing better' as you say is the best we could have done. We weren't going to become world beaters over night.

I'd join anyone in questioning some of Williams' decisions / ability to motivate, but one thing that doesn't motivate is booing. Ince looked on his arse to me at that stage anyway, but even if he hadn't, the negative atmosphere around the ground is hardly going to inspire the players. It does exactly the opposite.

And who is to blame for that!?

Tough shit.

Clems Army!
1989Monkey

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:12:36 »

Don't tell me, you were one of those booing the Ince sub, weren't you? Williams justifiably gets a lot of stick, especially recently, but for once that one had a bit of logic to it at least. Ince was dead on his feet, giving fouls away for fun and on a yellow.

No one was satisfied with a draw, every man and his dog knew we needed a win. Even so, it was a better 90 minutes from town than we've seen lately. Yes the second half was a bit shit compared to the first, but at least we didn't capitulate for a change, still made chances and had a team that kept going 'till the whistle. Everyone knows we're essentially fucked, but shouting and screaming at the players after a draw is going to achieve the square route of fuck all at this moment in time. The time for abusing our own players has been and gone (I got most of it out of my system during the Pox match).

Whilst there's still a fair few matches to play until we're confirmed as down yet, you have to take what positives you can from the performance. We all know that if this is the signs of the "green shoots of recovery", we could have done with it a few fucking weeks ago, but I'd rather it now, than in the last 5 games of the season.

Just because some of us chose to give the team a bit of a clap for their efforts today, doesn't fucking mean we're all clapping seals blindly being led over the cliff to relegation. Some of us are capable of seeing the grey area between shit and sensational.

No i didn't boo the Ince substitution. I completely understood the need to be careful once he was on a yellow as he had ran his socks off. The fact he brought on a centre back to play in midfield when you genuinely have midfielders on the bench I do have issue with. The Obika sub I did not agree with and could not understand why we didn't gamble with the 3 up front.

If or when we go down would everyone be happy to play some of our own young players (Smith, Young etc) in preparation for next season?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #23 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:15:35 »

I would have played Smith and young ages ago. Couldn't do any worse.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:17:39 »

Keeping Ince and Obika on was worth the risk to me. We needed to win.

Gladwin was blowing out his arse as much as Ince and Boo was shocking defending and spent going forward.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:17:52 »

Ditto.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:22:45 »

I'd imagine that Power thinks he can get a few bob for Young, so probably would prefer not to expose him to injury or reverse turd polishing by Luke.

We just need to see this season out, preferably not getting any unwanted shitness records, and then as fans get a well deserved break. Don't think much that happens this season will impact on next as so few of the players will be here.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #27 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:26:54 »

Next season will be same shit different venues with captain powers bargain basement mismatches and loanees managed by as you say a reverse turd polisher
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:42:07 »

the negative atmosphere around the ground is hardly going to inspire the players. It does exactly the opposite.
Oh I agree, it's pointless and self-defeating, I know that. But as "things that demoralise the players" go, I'd suggest the main problem there is in the dugout not the stands
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 20:43:10 »

Next season will be same shit different venues with captain powers bargain basement mismatches and loanees managed by as you say a reverse turd polisher
There's part of me thinks this whole sorry experience will almost have been worth it for the sheer glory of that phrase - "reverse turd polisher". Reg, chalkie, I salute you both
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: