Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 40   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Walking Dead *SPOILERS*  (Read 172049 times)
Barry Scott

« Reply #195 on: Friday, November 10, 2017, 13:23:10 »

Has everyone given up?

I have now. I’ll consider watching it when this series ends, I’ve just had enough of what feels like filler.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Friday, November 10, 2017, 13:55:22 »

As filler goes, it was alright. I quite enjoyed it. But I quite enjoy moaning more so
   1. Why the fuck has Rick has a personality transplant. They spent ages building him to be someone who did what it takes to survive*, then he gives Daryl the evils for doing the same.
   2. Jesus saves...Really. Also psycho Morgan has become shit at fighting all of a sudden. What?
   3. Why leave the Negan storyline so long.. And where the hell is Stigella of the dump in this fight?

The group is fractured, Rick and Daryl (for how much longer?), Maggie at the hilltop, Carole with the cgi tiger.

* I guess Rick will replace Negan at some point and the Saviours aren't going to be overly willing to follow another ruthless murderer .
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Saturday, November 11, 2017, 04:25:17 »

Sorry it's a late one!

S8 E3: Monsters

So you guys found this one a bit "fillerish" and a tad slow/lacking progress at times? Although it was a touch better than E2 right?

First off the title Monsters didn't really conclude much and i'm still waiting to have a sniff of the Negan storyline along with our favourite priest who is, buy all accounts, shitting his pants. I'll admit, I was expecting more of a twist on the Morales plot. As always, when the episodes are directed by Greg Nicotero, you can expect one thing for sure and that's great prosthetics and attention to detail in blood splatter expertise. Having plied most of his trade under the recently late, cult zombie Director; George A. Romero, I always look forward to these details during Nicotero's Directed episodes of TWD. RIP to Romero, who passed away in July.

This episode only really let me down in the new constant of Jesus suddenly becoming all out peacemaker. The fight scene though with Morgan and Jesus I enjoyed and it showed us just how Morgan is struggling psychologically in this world. I still refer to the "Morgan" episode of Clear, a few seasons back, where he had issues dealing with the post apocalyptic world. It was a little later where he met the former Dojo (S6:E3 maybe it was 4? anyway I can't remember his name i'd have to Google it) and learnt his self defence skills with the staff. I'll highlight Batch's comment (sorry, i'm not singling you out, you raised it and it's perfectly relevant) about "why is Morgan suddenly a shit fighter?". Truth is, he hasn't become shit, however he's never had to fight Jesus. When we first met him(also S6), we learnt he was also very skilled in martial arts and hand to hand combat. I think here it's just a case of Jesus being the better "Ninja" and most probably more experienced. As far as we know, Morgan only knows in depth self defence recently from Dojo guy in S6. I really like the growing tension between Daryl and Rick, where will that lead or am I just exploring a non story here?

If no one minds, I'll recap a few key parts of the episode. On the whole I think it was ok, if a little bit filler.

So we pretty much open as we ended the previous with Morales, holding Rick at gunpoint. Morales and Rick talk about how things have panned out for them both (all under tension) and it's revealed Morales lost his family. Rick informs him about the losses of Lori, Shane and the brutal murder of Glenn at the hands of Morales new "owner", Negan. Ok so at this point he calls Rick a monster and that is the only reference I can find that refers to the title episode. As stated above I was expecting a twist for this episode. Damn! As predicted, Daryl kills Morales with almost shock from Rick, who seemed to think he could talk Morales round. They leave the building and hear calls from Aaron as his team of fighters close in on this Saviour outpost. Later we conclude that Aaron's boyfriend Eric may not have made it. Thus prompting Aaron to take care of Gracie. The baby Rick find's after suspectedly killing her Father.

We then have the scenes of Aaron going back to where he left Eric (with a gunshot to the stomach) against a tree. This for me harks back to S1 ((I think it was Jim or Dale?) basically he was left against a tree after being bit in the stomach to reanimate).  Eric is no longer there and Aaron believes he sees him walking off in the distance but i'm not 100% convinced he's gone? Maybe I misheard but i'm sure I heard a character say something to Aaron like "He's not there/dead". Also we didn't actually see the "turned" Eric and we all know most characters that leave TWD are bestowed this grand exit. The only true character that didn't have it was "The Governor" but he went out in style after his brutal beheading of Hershel. Anyway, I don't think Eric is dead yet or they want to show us the zombie Eric next episode? We then learn that the guns that Rick and Daryl were after have been moved, this is after a Saviour is discovered behind a tree. Daryl kills him without thought and yet again Rick looks at him like "what the fuck bro".

I'm not even going to talk about Gregory because that dude just pisses me off now. Why the fuck would Maggie let him back in? Just rid of him, he's becoming TWD jester. It's shit. I want him gone before midseason, if not the next episode.

Somewhere wedged in all this we have King "still I fucking smile" Ez and Carol almost cockily cruising their way through the woods. It's just a continuation from last episode until they close in on the next Saviour outpost. As predicted the Kingdomers get shot at and some of them try and create a human shield for King Ez. Maybe they'll not be as ridiculously cocky next time?

There's the detailed recap and also keeps anyone on track if they missed an episode (intentionally or not). I'm going to throw a curveball in now, just to maybe get us talking a little more about the further future of the show, so here goes. What are your guys theories on how the show may end, eventually? I have a theory and i've posted this theory on other social media and forums. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. I don't know if it's occurred to any of you but for me, part of last season and the start of this season appear to be produced in a more arcade/computer game style? Now this could be a huge miss on my part but i'll be smug af and picking up several c*nt points (in TEF fashion I hope some of you already have given me a vote of "c*nt" Smiley ) if I get close to this huge story arc, which could lead us to the start of the endgame for TWD. My theory is that instead of a shitty "Rick wakes up, it was all a dream" end. I think that the whole concept of TWD is merely an 8/16 bit arcade game. All the places they've visited have been different levels. The "Bosses" Rick has had to defeat. The far fetchedness of some scenarios, where they've been saved just as an aggressor is about to deliver a final blow. Not without drama, losing many comrades along the way....and so on.

I can envisage a final, final scene and for me it would be Rick getting shot or beaten in the FPV, background noise of "Finish him" or similar (for those familiar with arcade Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat) and the screen blurring with "Game Over" appearing on the screen. As the camera pans out it becomes apparent it's an arcade game and the camera shows the "gamer" as a young Carl walking away and leaving the arcade, set around late 80's/early 90's scene. For me this would explain all the FPV moments in the show when we have blood on the screen and the ridiculousness of Shiva as well as a few other whacky groups. I feel they are slowly producing the characters in the show as more comic book/fictional characters (which of course they are) and opening us up to this concept that they may well just be that. Fictional and not one bit real. Previously with had more attachment with characters with more drama and tenseness. I don't feel that as much anymore so I do wonder if they are leaning to this concept or similar. More than likely i'm just talking complete bollocks!

If you'd like to give me your own theories, as this could throw up some impressive ideas probably much more impressive (and concise) than mine, then please do. I look forward to hearing them. As ever I look forward to your responses to my post and your own take on the recent episode as a whole. I'll try to do my review for the next episode (incidentally called "Some Guy") a little earlier next time. For your sins that could be up as early as next Tues. Enjoy.

Once again, cheers for reading/listening/viewing. I continually enjoy TWD but I'm still hungry to get my show back like it was before. Let's hope a big plot twist arises sometime after we've known Gabriels fate and a few other loose ends are tied up like The Scavengers and Gregory. Knowing the comics marginally. That twist could be at the mid season finale or mid season premiere. I could also be wide of the mark here too.

I await the impending criticism Smiley Cheers, Kev Bamboo!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Saturday, November 11, 2017, 08:56:11 »

thanks bamboo, I don't recall Jesus martial arts background so that's useful.

good read. yes fillerish but better gets my vote.

interesting theory, hopefully bollocks though as it would piss me off.

the three most likely end game scenarios in can see are
   1. they find some isolated island and steady to rebuild human life.
   2. they find a way to kill the zombies en mass leading to 1 eventually
   3. they all die.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Saturday, November 11, 2017, 15:24:45 »

The arcade game scenario...

No, just no..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Saturday, November 11, 2017, 15:35:20 »

The arcade game scenario...

No, just no..

Seriously, I don't want it to end like that either but i'm just looking at how things have been shot over the last season and into 8. At times it reminds me of Metal Gear Solid (Daryl would make a great Solid Snake tbf) and also Timesplitters. Things seem to point that way for me. One thing that Robert Kirkman has promised us that it will never end with the "wakes up from a coma" scenario, because that will be the ultimate of shit. They must be thinking of how it may all wind up for the tv show. I'm not sure how long the comic issue will carry on for but that's essentially when we'd have a better idea. However the tv show has not shied away from going a different path but surely the endgame must culminate in a similar way?

What's your theory on the endgame Berni?

'Incessant Nonsense'

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Saturday, November 11, 2017, 19:48:53 »

Not really a theory but I hope it’s ends with everyone dying. I want it to be ruthless and brutal.
None of this happily ever after bullshit.
Failing that, as long as coral gets done for I’ll be happy.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 09:39:58 »

I haven't really got a theory tbh.  I am not adverse to a huge twist, or a big bang one way or the other, i just hope they end it properly and answer as many questions as they can.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #203 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 13:10:45 »

The writers clearly don't even know how it's going to end yet, or they wouldn't have written themselves into the stupid hole of everyone turns and there's no cure.

It's going to go on until it's cancelled and either end terribly (a la Lost) or just get cancelled and not end at all (Fuck you Flash Forward! FUCK YOU).
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 13:41:28 »

The writers clearly don't even know how it's going to end yet, or they wouldn't have written themselves into the stupid hole of everyone turns and there's no cure.

It's going to go on until it's cancelled and either end terribly (a la Lost) or just get cancelled and not end at all (Fuck you Flash Forward! FUCK YOU).
Oh man, I remember flash forward..
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 16:36:34 »

Not a bad theory jayo, however there are shows on tv that hit only around 1mil viewers yet they keep getting commissioned. I think TWD has a way to go before that. In fact it has such a following I think once the hype/bubble dies right down, it'll still have a core of around 4-5mil viewers. I'd say major decisions will be made from s10. We'll have an idea of what direction it's truly taking at that point. Either towards an endgame or as you say, no real idea of how they'll end it.

'Incessant Nonsense'

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #206 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 16:38:21 »

And if your video game theory turns true I will personally hunt you down
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 16:49:03 »

Well, looks like this season is going to be one that gets increasingly better. S8 E4 was back on form. I'll not burden you with a review yet (i'm a cunt but not that much of one), I'll wait till later tonight/tomorrow so those that watch have had a chance to watch it. Where E1 was okay and E2 was bloody annoying. E3 got a bit better and now E4 was much better. Let's hope this trend continues and we get the show a bit more on track.

Talking of "flash forwards" you guys do know what is planned for S9 don't you?

Enjoy tonight's episode. I think most of you will enjoy this one.

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 16:50:30 »

And if your video game theory turns true I will personally hunt you down

Hahahha bring it on! "...and still I smile."

'Incessant Nonsense'

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 20:17:25 »

www.walkindeadharalson.com

This is just up the road from me, claiming to be family friendly!  Looks fun, you lot are nuts.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 40   Go Up
Print
Jump to: