Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Northampton Town official matchday thread  (Read 35906 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 06:19:01 »

Quote from: Ells
I'm pissed off, but this whole "WAAH ITS BORING" shit only comes when we lose.

is frustrating and somewhat tedious OK?

obviously when we win it's less frustrating and the tedium slips into the background. just like it does winning long ball, or winning ugly..
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 06:31:07 »

It can't just be the formation. We won the third tier in 95/96 playing 352. Bristol City won it two years ago playing 352. It comes down to our approach to defending.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 06:33:33 »

agreed. until recently it looked like the tactic was let them cross it in and (fail to) deal with it then.

yesterday though we were just poor, run through three defenders... unmarked header.. yesterday was just poor defending
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 06:41:25 »

There are only 2 reasons for shit defending.

Shit defenders or shit coaching (or lack thereof).

Purely as 'entertainment' and taking away the supporter bit, I don't mind the 352 system. But when you turn up week after week knowing you are going to witness the same mistakes as you've seen for the last 2 years  it does sap your willingness to turn up.

It's bad enough to read and hear about the defensive cock-ups.

About time for a Power phone in. Not that that would change anything muchly.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 06:47:18 »

you do have to credit the opposition too Rory. Northampton weren't great last night but played as a unit and got the crucial breaks/goals.

our often slow tempo also let them get back in numbers and defend well. Still think on another day* we'd have scored a couple more and things may have been different.

*obika probably isn't going to get 20, but on his day he knows where the net is. jury out on other two..

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 06:53:03 »

But it doesn't seem to matter who the opposition are - we merrily dish out freebies willy nilly.

If the pressure on defenders playing 352 is contributing to these errors and it's not just the players themselves, then the answer is glaringly obvious.

The problem is that we have employed players who, apparently, fit the mould. They are mostly small, lightweight, technically decent types.

How does Williams convert them into some sort of L1 powerhouse side?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 07:12:13 »

He is here to make a profit and move on, he's said so himself. So why would the division not matter?
The
That makes no sense. We've taken on an academy kid and turned him into a top L2 player or a top L1 player. Who is going to command the most £? Not going to be the former is i?

That's not true though. Oxford got a couple of million for Roofe and similar for O'Dowda. We got £800,000, allegedly - for L1's top goalscorer.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 07:25:46 »

3-5-2 is horse manure

I come from a land down-under
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 07:42:37 »

That's not true though. Oxford got a couple of million for Roofe and similar for O'Dowda. We got £800,000, allegedly - for L1's top goalscorer.

Who now cannot get in the 1st XI of the team currently 12th in League One.
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 07:58:16 »

3-5-2 is horse manure

STFC fans hated 1 up front. Now they hate 3 at the back. Yet the modern game almost demands 3 in midfield because if you aren't trying to dominate possession, sooner or later you'll come up against someone who does. Unless you play like Leicester or Millwall last season - sit deep in two blocks of four and then hit teams on the break with lots of pace - and we wouldn't appear to have the players for that.

I suppose the 442 diamond will become the favourite formation of the fans. Although to have any width it demands the full backs pushing on and a midfield player dropping back into defence when we have possession...which brings us back to 352.

Our current thinking is "the best form of defence is possession". If we have the ball, teams can't score. Unfortunately unless we have 100% possession, I can't see how teams won't exploit our lack of defensive shape on the break and comparative lack of height/physicality at set pieces.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 08:01:25 »

Having listened back to Williams post-match comments he seems to be saying we were beaten by a left wing cross and a good corner.  Anderson on the left beat two of our guys on the touchline, then was allowed to run into the box unchallenged and deliver the sort of cross we appear to be incapable of resulting in a tap-in and their guy got a free header at the near post from a corner!!  Their corners were good all night, as opposed to ours which appeared to be overhit all night - one even going straight out for a throw-in!!  The third goal does appear to come from a foul challenge on the half-way line but our defence bought Revell's dummy in the box to open up for another tap-in.  The players we have are not capable of playing this system that is imposed upon them unless the opposition stands off of us - and how many teams are going to do that?  To succeed we must have change - over to you Mr Power!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 08:10:49 »

STFC fans hated 1 up front. Now they hate 3 at the back. Yet the modern game almost demands 3 in midfield because if you aren't trying to dominate possession, sooner or later you'll come up against someone who does. Unless you play like Leicester or Millwall last season - sit deep in two blocks of four and then hit teams on the break with lots of pace - and we wouldn't appear to have the players for that.

I suppose the 442 diamond will become the favourite formation of the fans. Although to have any width it demands the full backs pushing on and a midfield player dropping back into defence when we have possession...which brings us back to 352.

Our current thinking is "the best form of defence is possession". If we have the ball, teams can't score. Unfortunately unless we have 100% possession, I can't see how teams won't exploit our lack of defensive shape on the break and comparative lack of height/physicality at set pieces.

A brilliant post.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 08:15:58 »

STFC fans hated 1 up front. Now they hate 3 at the back. Yet the modern game almost demands 3 in midfield

With Doughty, Murray and Kas' the squad has been built for it. It looks great on paper.

I'm not convinced it will be enough though, because while they will chip in with goals we need our strikers to start scoring.

I've given up on us ever addressing the defensive frailties of the system.
Benzel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #193 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 08:27:22 »

Losing 3-1 in a game that didn't feel like a 3-1 is a worrying sign. They didn't feel 2 goals better than us but were much more effective at both ends of the pitch. Ajose would have had a brace last night presented with the chances Obika had, too often a move broke down at Norris' feet around the box, although he did well when dropping deeper.
Disappointing.
I think some managerial experience is sorely needed. We saw the difference it made last year.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 08:30:47 »

Lingy reverted to it didn't he? Guess that could be classed as unsustained - was only a few

I posted this about last week about the 4 at the back 3 at back scenario

We had been playing 4-4-2 under Cooper, and then Power himself for a couple of games.....this mainly out of neccessity with Nathan injured.

When Lingy came in he went 3 at the back, remember he's a disciple of St Glenn, but he could pair Obika and Ajose. We shipped 5 at Fleetwood, so went 4 at the back for the next away game at Chesterfield and won 4-0.....we did have Louis and Ben Gladwin running midfield mind.

It's more about available personnel.... to get Nathan in and playing the classic libero role.

I don't see the formation and style of play as particularly a problem, but you do need the right sort of players for it. 3-5-2 should be an attacking formation, so you'll always be somewhat loose at the back but that should be compensted by being able to score more. Atm our defensive inability is not being bailed out at the other end, only 5 teams in the Div have scored less than us.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: