Poll
Question: Which Way Are You Voting
In - 91 (62.8%)
Out - 44 (30.3%)
Shake It All About - 10 (6.9%)
Total Voters: 131

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EU Referendum  (Read 70716 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 14:58:24 »

If the countries within the EU are, supposedly, 'equal' when it comes to how it treats migrants, economic or otherwise, why are so many clammering to get into the UK instead of staying put in France, for example.

I mean, let's not get facts get in the way of our ramblings, eh?

Or perhaps you might prefer that data per capita...

« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:00:01 by Nemo » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:07:47 »

Absolutely Nemo, some things are inflated out of all proportion by our media, why lets a few facts get in the way of sensationalism?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:07:50 »

I think that in the long run, countries cannot continue to exist (or, at least, will become a lot less important) anyway.  The rise of multi-national corporations and inter-national alliances have already started this.  In 200 or 300 years from now, I would be very surprised if smaller countries continued to exist in anything other than a ceremonial capacity.

Of course, all this is just supposition.  But in an increasingly connected world, the EU and alliances like at are probably the direction that we're heading in...like it or not.  The more I think about it, the more the Brexit stance feels a little like King Canute trying to turn back the waves.  I felt much the same way 2 yrs ago during the Scottish Independence campaign.

And it's my lack of concern about whether or not something notionally called the UK really exists that means it's all down to economics and social policy for me, and I prefer the "European" approach.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:10:38 »

Bring on Starfleet is all I have to say
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:12:29 »

Im veering towards remain for the fact that i hate to think what this govt is capable of without the constraints europe places upon them.

Talking to a remain guy this morning, he made the same point, and in particular workers rights. Interesting that neither side has wanted that out in the open. He says all labour leaning people he knows who would vote out are voting in, as they are shit scared of letting the tories loose without handcuffs.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:12:41 »

Pretty much everything else from Star Trek has come to pass or is being worked on in some variant.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:14:34 »

Doesn't answer the question at all.

Why are there thousands in Calais trying to get into the UK.

You can only apply for asylum once you are physically in the country.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:15:00 »

Absolutely Nemo, some things are inflated out of all proportion by our media, why lets a few facts get in the way of sensationalism?

That chart is irrelevant though. Doesnt matter where you apply with free movement.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:15:09 »

The pound decreased in value when the polls favoured brexit.

It does that on the basis of a poll imagine what's gonna happen if we actually leave. And that's just the start of it.

And the FTSE went up 2.5% when it was announced that remain had a lead in a poll I believe.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:20:11 »

Hasn't the £ been falling since 2014 ?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:20:42 »

Doesn't answer the question at all.

Why are there thousands in Calais trying to get into the UK.

You can only apply for asylum once you are physically in the country.

Perceived better opportunities right now?
Speak the language?
Family before them?
No luck finding somewhere to settle elsewhere?

Many reasons I guess, none of which will change much In or Out.  We are already clearly making it clear we don't want them while we are In, not sure why that would change either way.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:22:07 »

Hasn't the £ been falling since 2014 ?

Yes against the Dollar - due to low interest rates and the continuing forward guidance of such.  Dollar strengthened because IR's were going up or perceived to be going that way.  Not so much against the Euro which has been poor as well.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:27:44 »

If the countries within the EU are, supposedly, 'equal' when it comes to how it treats migrants, economic or otherwise, why are so many clammering to get into the UK instead of staying put in France, for example.

Could it be because the UK is continuing to create jobs via a growing economy as opposed to, say, France where the unemployment rate is double the UKs and the entire EU, apart from the UK, is stagnating.

40% youth unemployment in Greece means the EU has washed its hands of an entire generation in order to impose financial austerity orchestrated by Germany.

The EU is destined to break apart and fail and my view is that a controlled UK exit now will be preferable.

I think its all down to cheese!

One question no Brexiter has answered is that the EU is going down the shitter apparently yet there is a clamour from all these other countries to join this broken group?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:30:53 »

I think its all down to cheese!

One question no Brexiter has answered is that the EU is going down the shitter apparently yet there is a clamour from all these other countries to join this broken group?
Of course there is, they want to take out - they certainly won't be paying in!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 15:37:43 »

Neither decision has much to commend it....very much a case of the least worse option.

Take something, like re-nationalising the railways, a policy which Labour are keen on and surveys say are popular in the country....forbidden by EU rules.

The Tory Brexit brigade would be very keen on other things like TTIP, which reduce the state to the bare minimum. The EU have been secretly negotiating this and no doubt the Tories will sign up to it...just maybe the French won't.

The Labour left argument, is that Brexit would enable a Labour government to avoid these EU bankers rules...problem is first you have to win an election with a Corbynite party and there seems to be insufficient chance of that for a lefty to vote out, however tempted by the Benn argument.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: