Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Andy King  (Read 17619 times)
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 14:06:47 »

I've not posted on here in ages, but this has prompted me to log in again.  I loved Kingy.  He could spot a player, he wanted his teams to play entertaining football, and when asked a question he gave a direct answer.  He wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I found that refreshing.  The playoff team he put together was probably the second most entertaining team I've ever watched (behind '93) and he spotted most of those players, Parkin, Miglioranzi and Howard in particular.  Howard, Igoe, Parkin and Mooney - we scored some wonderful goals with those four playing well.  Given the off the field circumstances at the club at the time, I still think he did a great job.  Over and above that, football needs characters, and he was certainly one of those.  This news made me feel, if only for a few moments before life took over again, genuinely sad, melancholy annd a bit nostalgic. 

Cheers Andy.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Sunday, May 31, 2015, 01:58:10 »

Why Sack King?
Plastic

« Reply #77 on: Sunday, May 31, 2015, 10:25:56 »

Ridiculous sacking IMO, in the summer the club sold Parkin and slashed the playing budget by 30%, King had no cash and could only get in free transfers on low wages, and players like Cuerton and Thorpe were abysmal despite clearly being quality signings, all factors beyond King’s control.  

When some fans unfairly blasted King from the stands rather then just getting behind the team, King stood his corner took no shit and would deal with them head on, these fans took issue with the club having a manager that would not lick their arse, and who dared to stand up for himself, and in the end forced him out of the club which I believe was a total disgrace, and was counterproductive anyway as he probably would has turned it around and kept us that year.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Sunday, May 31, 2015, 10:29:20 »

Kingy had taken Town as far as he could. Changes were needed, mostly at Boardman level, but it was time for him to leave Town when did.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, May 31, 2015, 10:34:25 »

King was a sacrificial offering. Most wanted the board gone much, much more than him..

It's All Good..............
Plastic

« Reply #80 on: Sunday, May 31, 2015, 10:35:28 »

Kingy had taken Town as far as he could. Changes were needed, mostly at Boardman level, but it was time for him to leave Town when did.

Why had he taken the club as far as he could?
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Sunday, May 31, 2015, 11:15:21 »

Why had he taken the club as far as he could?

Looked at the fare in the Taxi and realised he was going to run out of money!?

Clems Army!
Plastic

« Reply #82 on: Sunday, May 31, 2015, 11:20:42 »

Looked at the fare in the Taxi and realised he was going to run out of money!?

He was the driver tho, not responsible for the fare only the route. 
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, May 31, 2015, 11:20:51 »

Why Sack King?

Aaah, philosophical South Stand graffiti.

On reinstatement I don't think Kingy ever recovered from not being Roy Evans in some fans eyes.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, May 31, 2015, 12:12:26 »

He was the driver tho, not responsible for the fare only the route. 

The club at the time was rotten to the core.
A few "good guys" were the minority in a club dictated by Diamandis.
Very sad day when Kingy was sacked was actually with him after the game.
Always remember his words, "Banbury you will be always be here a lot longer than me."
Referring to the fact that we the Supporters outlive players and managers alike.
Saddest legacy with Kingy was that he was never liked by the Swindon fans despite running on a shoestring. He got on well with Sturrock and was vocal that his budget was over 3 times bigger than Kings when he got us in the play offs.
All irrelevant now but reading the Everton message Boards you realise how big an icon he was.
A terrific player and a good guy.
Was very kind to me and introduced me to many footballers and stories that I will always be grateful for. We take our football seriously but with Kingy he brought a smile behind the pressure.
Yesterday I found the bottle of Champagne in my lads room signed by him and Sam Parkin when he was born.
That was one of many touches that will always stay with me.
RIP Andy and simply thanks.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, May 31, 2015, 14:14:18 »

Very sad to hear that he had passed away.

Did some very good things at STFC, although my opinion of him changed when my son was mascot for the day when he was manager, he wouldn't sign an autograph, pose for a picture or even say hello to us and came across as a properly arrogant bloke.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Thursday, June 4, 2015, 21:36:55 »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andy-king-funeral-sees-hundreds-9392900

His funeral was today, this link has a lot of photos of the day, nice to see so many people turn out.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Thursday, June 4, 2015, 22:30:39 »

Fucking bastards  I wanted to read that, but its a shit site with video ads running everywhere, does my nut in. marketing pricks burn in hell.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: