Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Boxing  (Read 107376 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 23:17:12 »

Any boxing fans on here? Don't think we have a thread.
Brook just convincingly defended his title against the mandatory opponent, called Khan out again straight after.
Really rate Brook, would fancy him against Khan personally.
DMR

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 23:24:58 »

Would be a cracking fight. Khan can only really afford 1 more high profile loss though and I suspect he'd rather save it for a Mayweather or a Marquez etc
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 23:32:13 »

I can't see Khan taking it, for the reasons you've said.
Brook gets some stick, but I don't agree when people say he's only looking good by beating poor opponents, I agree that he has had some poor opponents, but he has beaten them convincingly, where as Khan, who has definitely proved himself against better boxers, has also lost to some average opponents, Brook beat Porter in own back yard, I think he's a class act.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 29, 2015, 19:52:24 »

I can't believe that was the number 1 contender. Looked out of his depth. Brook was class though. Some knockout in the fight before too.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 29, 2015, 19:57:47 »

Thought the guy in the fight before was in serious trouble for a minute. Thankfully looked OK though.

Brook was class, effortless.

Agree with those that don't think khan will take the fight. Brook is too dangerous and not yet a big enough purse for Khan to risk the end of his career on.

Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, May 7, 2016, 23:12:56 »

Anyone been watching tonight?
Crolla was superb just then, Joe Gallagher got his tactics spot on and he's just proved how good he is. He's just stopped. Very good fighter.
Going to set my alarm for the Khan fight, what does eveyone think?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, May 8, 2016, 00:15:39 »

I'll watch it back tomorrow. Can't see Khan winning but has to be given huge credit if he does
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 9, 2016, 09:52:37 »

Anyone been watching tonight?
Crolla was superb just then, Joe Gallagher got his tactics spot on and he's just proved how good he is. He's just stopped. Very good fighter.
Going to set my alarm for the Khan fight, what does eveyone think?
Gallagher has improved as a trainer brilliantly. There was a stage wher all his fighters were fighting in the same style but he seems to have learnt from that.

Felt for Amir Khan saturday. Absolute shambles the way this country and it's boxing fans treat him
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 9, 2016, 12:43:18 »

Fighting Canelo instead of Brook has to be one of the worst decisions in boxing history.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 9, 2016, 12:44:33 »

Fighting Canelo instead of Brook has to be one of the worst decisions in boxing history.
On what basis do you work that out?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 9, 2016, 12:45:14 »

Supposedly got eight figures for it, and the Brook fight is still there as a money fight because nobody truly expected him to beat Alvarez so he gained a fair bit of credibility for stepping up at all and putting up a decent showing. Thinking like this is why we get fights like Mayweather/Berto, and why GGG can't get anyone of note to fight him.

That said, I'm not sure Khan's doctor would have been delighted with that choice.

Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 9, 2016, 13:20:17 »

I couldn't disagree more, I actually think it was genius.
The Brook fight will still happen and he's still mandatory for Danny Garcia's title, hardly the worst decision ever made.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 13:12:55 »

On what basis do you work that out?

Two parts, firstly the actual fight…..
On one hand you have Canelo; horrific prospects to win the fight. Style wise alone, was always a terrible fight for Khan and everyone knew it. Even his trainer made noises he didn't like the fight. Even in the best case scenario, he was always realistically looking at some serious heavy blows taken against a much bigger guy. Not good for your health and the longevity of his career.
On the other hand you have Brook who is an excellent fighter, but of comparable size. It's a difficult fight also but it's much closer to a 50/50 fight than fighting a monster like Canelo. You’re not going to take anywhere near the same amount of damage fighting Brook as fighting a guy like Canelo.

Then if you're looking at the money……
Khan reportedly made $2m USD from the fight. Not chump change by any stretch but how much would he have made in front of 80,000 at Wembley which they could have done if the struck when the iron was hot? Not even in the same ball park as $2m USD! Froch made £8m pound sterling for winning his fight at Wembley. Well over 5 times the purse.  Khan may still fight Brook, but he has lost his bargaining power now coming off a loss so won’t get anywhere near the same share of the purse. The fight won't make as much anymore anyway because interest in it won’t be anywhere near as high as if it was done at the right time.

He essentially threw cash down the drain and lost a lot of brain cells for the privilege. Awful decision and whoever is advising him should be ashamed.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 13:30:34 »

$2m was Khan's declared purse, after PPV points & ticket sales the estimate is about six times that. You're comparing guaranteed show money against all the money Froch made from ticket sales & TV, apples and oranges.

Besides, if he lost to Brook then Canelo would be off the table, but this way around, everyone still wants to see the Brook fight.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 13:39:31 »

After Pay per view figures Khan earnt just under £9m with Canelo earning £14m.

I would also add that the Brook fight fight will always be there as he has yet to have one decent payday and still has to resort to after dinner speeches to make a living. On the flip side Khan has had 3 different world champions call him out in the last 24 hours.

I would say the decision was spot on 
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 10, 2016, 13:46:35 by Don Rogers Sock » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: