Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 46 Years (Swindon Town 3-1 Arsenal)  (Read 7845 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 08:51:42 »

Today is the 46th anniversary of Town's Wembley success over Arsenal. My question is what does it mean to you as a Town fan? Does it mean anything or nothing to you?

For me it's almost mythical. I was raised listening my dad's tales of that squad (who himself was quite young in 1969). My grandad didn't allow my dad to go to Wembley, which is oft-mentioned.

Over to you...
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 09:35:56 »

As I've got no family history in Swindon and 1969 was 17 years before I started to follow Town, it probably doesn't mean as much to me than it would to either those that were there, or those whose fathers, grandfathers, etc were.
It's a great piece of history, from a time when smaller clubs could and quite often did, shake up the big boys in Cup Competitions. That period ended when the financial disparity between the top tier and the rest become so vast, although with both The FA Cup and League Cup being so devalued these days, with the elite clubs seeming to take little interest in them (especially in early rounds) upsets are once again becoming more frequent.
I imagine I feel towards our victory in 69 in much the same way that younger fans who missed out on our successes in the late 80's and early 90's feel.

It's All Good..............
kerry red

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 10:58:11 »

Went with a friend whose dad drove us up there. No M4 then so it was crawling along the old A4 with the rest of the Swindon convoy.

Only 14 and had been following the Town for about 18 months so I had the notion there would always be days like these. To be there for that day was what kept us going in the dark days to come when we were scratching around to get 3-4000 in the CG.

The pitch made Bradford's seem like a bowling green.

Looking forward to getting Alzheimers so I can watch it again without knowing the score
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 11:03:03 »

Went with a friend whose dad drove us up there. No M4 then so it was crawling along the old A4 with the rest of the Swindon convoy.

Only 14 and had been following the Town for about 18 months so I had the notion there would always be days like these. To be there for that day was what kept us going in the dark days to come when we were scratching around to get 3-4000 in the CG.

The pitch made Bradford's seem like a bowling green.

Looking forward to getting Alzheimers so I can watch it again without knowing the score
Cheesy
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 11:03:32 »

I was brought up on tales of Wembley from my dad who went and my mum who didn't as I had just turned 3 at the time.

It was almost like the Holy Grail of all things STFC, we went and shocked one of the best teams in England who were nailed on favourites on a wet muddy appalling pitch (days after the horse of the year show was held on it apparently making it a great leveller) and several Arse players suffering from bad colds/flu still.

Mum often told me that the town was a ghost town that wet afternoon with virtually no men around at all in the town centre.

Swindon heroes were made that day to a man but also brought Don to the attention of the country.

Peter Downsborough
Rod Thomas
John Trollope
Joe Butler
Frank Burrows
Stan Harland
Don Heath
Roger Smart
John Smith
Peter Noble
Don Rogers
Sub: Willie Penman

Not sure if it means anything to the newer younger fans but it certainly meant a lot to my dad and hence to me, in my dads dying year he always kept that memory with him and always talked about The Don and the day out when we "fucked up the big boys party" and that means more to me as a memory than anything.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 11:12:19 »

An amazing day!  My mum (RIP on your special day!), and my girl friend (now my wife) drove up to Wembley in my Morris 1000!!  I suppose we all went in hope and the prospect of a great day out rather than with a lot of confidence - the bumpkins had got to Wembley, something I thought we would never repeat!!  Remember those old bench seats and dancing on them at the end, the Don scything through their defence for that 3rd goal - wonderful days and great memories.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 11:13:46 »

The weather is quite similar....for me though anniversaries which don't fall on the same day, don't work.

The LC day was a Saturday....today a Sunday....thankfully 46 years on still just about maintaining their different feel.

So today would be more about the players displaying the cup from the tiny balcony of the Town Hall, to the biggest throng seen in Regents Circus, since VE day.  Then very much a community feel, a small town largely forged on the collective skills of its working people, represented by its football club.....a moment in time to be proud of, recalling the ghosts of William Pitt, Sam Allen, Harold Fleming and many others.
kerry red

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 11:15:39 »

Did you go though, Reg?
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 11:31:54 »

A fantastic day which will stop with me forever. To see my old dads face was a beauty to behold and a great memory to think of when he finally passed away.Always remember my Uncle Mark saying at the end 'Take a look at that scoreboard because it is long time till you will see that again'. People make to much of the pitch and flu factor, Arsenal were way to confident and the cup was already won. On a different pitch and time we would have still done it as you have to remember this was team way above Div 3 standard with one of the best players in the country. We had already dumped Coventry, Cloughies Derby and a very good Burnley out of the cup!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 11:32:09 »

Did you go though, Reg?

Yes....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 12:01:27 »

No links to Swindon at that time, but still proud our club won a major trophy when it was still considered as such. Its a shame the competition has been diluted over the last decade or two, such is life.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin 1969, on League Cup final day........
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 12:05:26 »

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 12:10:14 »

I think it has to mean at least something to you if you're a fan.  It happened several years before I was born at a time well before my family had any connection with the area...so I didn't grow up hearing about the day, or the team or the title.  But it resonates.  What happened in 1969, 1990 and 1993 is all part of who we are/what we are as a club.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 12:35:11 »

it happened a long time before I was born, and we don't have any family connections in Swindon, however it still fills me with a huge amount of pride. As Ardiles said, it is part of who we are as a club

I come from a land down-under
wokinghamred

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 12:54:01 »

I was there, aged 14, with my dad. Fantastic day out, will never forget it.

Bored my 15 year old daughter to tears with all the details this morning, again !
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: