Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Scunthorpe United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 30104 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 8, 2014, 23:00:15 »

The Opponent: Scunthorpe United

Here we go again. For those that read this bit, welcome back. For those that have the power and choose not to read it, go wash your hair. I have been looking forward to the familiar trudge to the County Ground I must admit, it feels like its been far too long, Court cases aside, its been a summer of very little activity so far, if Twitter is to be believed we will be down by Christmas.

Scunthorpe in Lincolnshire, is a fairly small town, with just under 75’000 inhabitants but is the highest steel processing town in the UK.  Evidence of its existence can be dated back to the Doomsday Book. Scunthorpe was close to the epicentre (this was centred at Ludford, near Louth) of one of the largest earthquakes experienced in the British Isles on 27 February 2008, with a magnitude of 5.2. Significant shocks were felt in Scunthorpe and the surrounding North Lincolnshire area. The main 10-second quake, which struck at 00:56 GMT at a depth of 9.6 mi (15.4 km), was the biggest recorded example since one with a magnitude of 5.4 struck north Wales in 1984.

In 1996 there was controversy when AOL's obscenity filter (among others) refused to accept the name of the town due to its inclusion of the substring cunt, which the filter rejected as obscene. Some online forums display the name as S****horpe, while Fark.com would display it as Scoonthorpe. This situation is known in the computing world as the Scunthorpe Problem. Other places that were part of this problem included Lightwater and Clitheroe.

They have served us both –  Curtis Weston, Nicky Ajose, Tony Warner, Bobby Smith, Danny Wilson, Michael Timlin, Easyjet Esajas, Syd Brookes, Michael Rose, David Prutton, Nagy Nick, Keith O’Halloran, Mike Grella, David Lucas, Ian Miller, Norman Oakley, Les Roberts, Francis Alford, Dany N’Guessan, Keith Horlock, Deon Burton, Callum Kennedy, Frank Burrows, Steve Mildenhall, Bobby Barnes

The Odds –   Swindon 23/20  Draw 11/5  Scunthorpe 5/2   Paddy Madden is 7/1 with Hills to score first for The Iron, our best bets are Smith and Williams both at 11/2.

The Son Says – A few days after the season ended he decided to break his arm in 2 places leading to the next 3 months in plaster with plenty of GWH visits in between, but now the cast is off and his positive frame of mind has returned. 2-1 opening day victory.

The Prediction – Despite not signing Messi, Sanchez and Suarez I still think we have enough to win this and win we will, 3-0. 2 from Michael Smith and a late Luongo thunderbolt to send the majority of 8’122 home happy, the 323 from Lincolnshire will face the long journey home with nothing to show apart from an overpriced Burger King on the M1.

And Finally – As a few may remember, back in August 1963, Scunthorpe and Lindsey United became our first ever opponents in the 2nd tier of English Football, following our first ever promotion the season before.  We went on to win 3-0 that day with the legendary Ernie Hunt amongst the scorers. Scunthorpe were sadly relegated the same season.

COYR COYR COYR
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 8, 2014, 23:18:25 »

Ha, I was expecting jayo to have started this,  the gobshite  Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 00:33:54 »

I remember the first game v Scunny....heady times.

I think you mean Miklos Nagy...our only ever Hungarian...a refugee from the Soviet attempt to bring back Hungary to the civilised world;  Hungary had been a German ally in 39-45.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 00:37:46 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 03:58:48 »

It's back!
kerry red

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 05:27:40 »

I remember the first game v Scunny....heady times.

I think you mean Miklos Nagy...our only ever Hungarian...a refugee from the Soviet attempt to bring back Hungary to the civilised world;  Hungary had been a German ally in 39-45.
Helluva good game, that.

Really looking forward to the game today. Not a clue how we will play or to what level but here goes.

5-0 Smith 3, Williams and Turnbull.

Smith B, MOM 6805 in attendance with 295 Scunners
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 07:50:50 »

Mornin' all, and cheers SR for your efforts.

This is how it will pan out:

0 mins - Town due to run out to '2-4-6-8 Motorway' by Tom Robinson Band, but it is rejected at the last minute as management think it will subliminally confuse the already addled brain of formation-meister Kasim.

0 mins+ - Town run out to Motorhead's 'Orgasmatron' (Cooper's Mrs' favourite tune, allegedly).

5 mins - 0-1. Scunny score at the back post from the first corner of the game (Scunny pre-season scout pats himself on the back).

21 mins - Wes sent off for scything down (and taking the ball) onrushing Scunny forward. It is clearly just outside the box but the ref gives a pen. Both Thompsons are booked for arguing with the liner.

21 mins+ - 0-2. Penalty scored.

43 mins - 1-2. Town, seething at the injustice lay siege to the Scunny goal and deservedly get one back. Willo from a perfect knock-down from strike-partner Smith.

89 mins - 1-3. Despite brave attempts to draw level, Scunny look reasonably calm and in control, and after Town hit the post, they break away and seal the game.

Overall, an entertaining game, with lots of effort and skill. Town are beaten by a well-drilled, confident Scunny, and a bit of bad luck, in front of 7,111 with 292 Iron.
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 08:03:45 »

Scunthorpe will be difficult to break down but they're not the fastest of teams so if we can pass it around like last season, can see us winning 2-0 Williams and Gladwin with the goals in front of 6874 fans with 148 from Scunny
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 08:06:07 »

2 0 to Scunny, n front of 5988 fans, 200 from Lincs.

we're relegated by February.

sorry about the doom and gloom but you did ask.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 08:07:44 »

I'll put my cards on the table.  I have no idea how we are going to shape up this afternoon.  Not a clue.  And even less idea than that about Scunthorpe.  I'm just going to cling to the hope that Cooper surprises us all pleasantly, just like he did at the start of last season.
Flashheart

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 08:08:36 »

No, we didn't.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 08:15:08 »

Good work SR!

I'm going 1-1 today.

My first ever game as a ST holder, hopefully it's memorable!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 08:16:11 »

Must win game this!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 08:18:26 »

Must win game this!

Very good!  Cheesy
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 08:19:20 »

I bet you £20 we have more than 6000 fans today.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 08:23:01 »

No, we didn't.
I wish I could favourite this.

A few days ago I predicted a 2-0 defeat but it's game day and I'm drunk on excitement. 2-1 Town Sexy Football FC.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: