Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Heaton.......a numismatic topic.....  (Read 494 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 19, 2005, 16:15:28 »

....completely random, but the signing of Heaton reminded me that as a kid I used to do coin collecting .....this of course was before the uniformity of decimalisation in the 1970 or so.

You could find old pennies with a small H stamped after the year....which meant they'd been pressed in the Heaton works Birmingham rather than at the Royal Mint....and they were quite old and possibly valuable.  

You could still find Victorian stuff then....and the dream was to find a very rare specimen in good nick....which of course never happened.

Apparently the Heaton mint was set up with second hand kit, bought from Matthew Boulton's Soho works....which watchers of Time Team may recall getting dug 3 or 4 years back.....Mr Heaton was just in time to exploit the need for masses of coins and tokens in the British Empire and literally coined it in.

Oh and teh government announced yeaterday that all existing small coinage is to be replaced, but not by Euros rather newly designed pieces.

Anybody else collect naff stuff as a kid, stamps, beer mats etc?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 19, 2005, 16:48:10 »

I collected the cards out of PG Tips packets and put them into albums and everything.  I also loved the Panini sticker albums - Something I came back to briefly in 93/94 when we were in the Premiership.  Ironically STFC was the first complete team I got.

Paul Heaton is the lead singer of the Beautiful South.  He supports Sheffield United. I saw him once in a pub.
Dazzza

« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 19, 2005, 21:58:11 »

Cards.  

Anything and everything from the old Panini stickers to the Garbage Pail Kids with the chewing gum that tasted like a butt plug.

I did have a couple of ill-fated attempts at stamps but easily became bored of the whole thing after half an hour.

Reminds me of a time as a kid I collected what seemed like thousands and thousands of crisp packets and all the family and friends where saving the KP crisp packets for me to send off for this offer.  After what seemed like months after havng sent the lot away a small KP monk figure turned about an inch high.  I was gutted but i still have the fucker to this day.

Which has just reminded me I used to collect shells.  Not stuff off the beach but exotic stuff and had a bloody big sharks jaw at one point.

Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 21, 2005, 17:24:49 »

I tried stamps when i was young, soon got bored of that.

Did Panini, still got both the 78 albums, both league and World Cup, neither complete.

Main thing is programmes, got a complete collection back to 1963 and plenty more before that, storage is a bugger.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, August 21, 2005, 17:29:48 »

I have a  collection of Days Gone cars and the like. Probably around 40 cars and always increasing with donations from certain family members! They usually sell for a fiver each, but at £3 that would still get me a fair amount for no work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: