Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer  (Read 160645 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2022, 16:42:36 »

American Micro brewery hopping is a fantastic way to spend some time in the States.

Denver has some crackers as does Seattle.

I am a big fan of the IPA's brewed in America. Quite fruity.

One of the cupboards in my outbuilding is slowly being covered with the various stickers that some of the breweries produce.
Fat Tyre was always nice in Denver. But, you'd buy 6-8 bottles and one was always cloudy and 'off'

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 16:47:05 »

CAMRA winter beer festival in Burton.

Maybe not such a good idea to make a day of it.
Town Hall. Pokey venue. Possibly over subscribed.
Not enough seating & food outlets.
And most importantly a usually sunny disposition not being compatible with the generally dour approach to life of Staffordshire folk.
That viewpoint might be coloured by a bad experience last May.

Trips to the Midlands would be more enjoyable if the majority of locals didn't sound like wrist slashing was imminent.

Just personal opinion of course.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 17:38:46 »

Trips to the Midlands would be more enjoyable if the majority of locals didn't sound like wrist slashing was imminent.

Just personal opinion of course.

Oi, cunt  Wink

We don't all sound like bit part brummies, that's more the West Mids anyway. North Mids is much nicer anyway with the Peak District on the doorstep. Near Burton (another one of those places that can't really decide if it's which county it really belongs in), you're probably beerter off heading to the Beer, Sausage and Cider Festival or the Derbyshire Sausage and Cider Fest nr Catton. Is usually on during the summer so during the season break and over 4 days.

Failing that, if you want a nice selection of beers within a few seconds of getting off a train then I recommend The Tap at Sheffield Train Station. Glorious former First Class Waiting Room converted in bar area, saloons, booths and it's own brewery on site, which you can take a mosy around. Usually a good 20ish beers available and on rotation so always something different to try. I'm sure you've probably been in the past. Does a nice Pork Pie too Pint

Other places of note, Saltaire - North East of Bradford is a cracking olde worlde type place and many ale houses to bumble around with some friendly folk too. Go any time of year ''Fanny's Ale House'' is a worth place for a fine slurp  Soapy Tit Wank

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 20:08:46 »

You want to go drinking in Derby.  Best beer city in the country. Amazing pubs.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 22:05:50 »

You want to go drinking in Derby.  Best beer city in the country. Amazing pubs.

I've drank a fair whack in Derby, being from the place originally...I wouldn't rate the City centre that highly - on any front. There's a few decentish ones knocking about and often a well kept pint in most places. I'd probably say York or even Leeds has a better beer scene and as mentioned, going out of the cities Derbyshire countryside/Peak District pubs and inns are pretty good as is Saltaire and many of the micro pubs/breweries/tap houses that are dotted all around the country. Usually at reasonable get-what-you-pay-for kind of price.

Some breweries of note;
Sheffield Tap
Saltaire
Bullhouse
Wold Top
Dancing Duck
Leatherbritches
Cameron
Brew York
Anyone that makes a half decent Plum Porter/Milk Stout

Ale Houses of note;
Fanny's
Exeter Arms
Corn Dolly
Jacob's Well
Sheffield Tap
Bullhouse Taprooms
Anchor Taproom
Fossgate Tap

Sorry, most of these are all Northern or North Midlands, trying to remember some of the ones down south I regularly went in...top o' mi 'ead mi duck...

The Nowhere Inn, Plymouth
Turks Head, Penzance
Ship Inn, Headley
One on Dartmoor, Plume of Feathers but could be closed
Halfway House, Kingsand
Lord Nelson, Marshfield
Gluepot - many of you lot's parish

Then around London there are some decent ones where avoiding the price tag but I always forget the names. There's a cracking one near London Fields, might be Pub on the Park... and then a load dotted around Bank area that I used to go in a fair bit. Nice one at Tottenham Court Road too...Flying Horse I think. Was reasonably priced as well.

We're blessed really with such a varied bunch of establishments to do what many brits do best - swill ale but I definitely like to enjoy my beer or three so don't mind paying a bit more if not 'sessioning' and just quaffing a few glasses like a right pretentious knob  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: Friday, February 17, 2023, 06:49:19 »

Oi, cunt  Wink

We don't all sound like bit part brummies, that's more the West Mids anyway. North Mids is much nicer anyway with the Peak District on the doorstep. Near Burton (another one of those places that can't really decide if it's which county it really belongs in), you're probably beerter off heading to the Beer, Sausage and Cider Festival or the Derbyshire Sausage and Cider Fest nr Catton. Is usually on during the summer so during the season break and over 4 days.

Failing that, if you want a nice selection of beers within a few seconds of getting off a train then I recommend The Tap at Sheffield Train Station. Glorious former First Class Waiting Room converted in bar area, saloons, booths and it's own brewery on site, which you can take a mosy around. Usually a good 20ish beers available and on rotation so always something different to try. I'm sure you've probably been in the past. Does a nice Pork Pie too Pint

Other places of note, Saltaire - North East of Bradford is a cracking olde worlde type place and many ale houses to bumble around with some friendly folk too. Go any time of year ''Fanny's Ale House'' is a worth place for a fine slurp  Soapy Tit Wank

Aah do Bambi.
Sheffield is a fine drinking city.
Not been to The Tap before.

Some of The Taps in or next to stations are very good.
Harrogate for one & a visit to the Piccadilly Tap in Mancunia is imminent.
Not so keen on the York one, but plenty of good watering holes there.

Never stopped for an ale in Derby before.
Very long odds on a visit there next season.
Is The Hairy Dog still going as a gig venue?

Saltaire is quite historic. Some sort of workers village if I remember the history correctly.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: Friday, February 17, 2023, 08:28:58 »

This thread reminds me, I got a home brew set for Christmas and my chocolate stout is ready for sampling this weekend! It was quite fun doing the whole brewing and bottling, but having to wait 4 weeks to try it has been a challenge! It certainly smelled ok and nothing has exploded so far so that's a good sign, I guess!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: Friday, February 17, 2023, 08:37:21 »

This thread reminds me, I need beer this weekend.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Friday, February 17, 2023, 08:43:18 »

Saltaire is quite historic. Some sort of workers village if I remember the history correctly.

'Tis a World Heritage Site, all down to Titus Salt who, ironically, considering the subject of this thread, would never allow a pub to be built at Saltaire, hence the pub there now called 'Don't Tell Titus'

Its also nowhere near Derby or the Peak District!  Wink
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: Friday, February 17, 2023, 18:21:08 »

'Tis a World Heritage Site, all down to Titus Salt who, ironically, considering the subject of this thread, would never allow a pub to be built at Saltaire, hence the pub there now called 'Don't Tell Titus'

Its also nowhere near Derby or the Peak District!  Wink

I know it isn't haha. It's north east of Bratfoot. I've visited and drank ale there a few times  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: Friday, February 17, 2023, 18:29:39 »

This thread reminds me, I got a home brew set for Christmas and my chocolate stout is ready for sampling this weekend! It was quite fun doing the whole brewing and bottling, but having to wait 4 weeks to try it has been a challenge! It certainly smelled ok and nothing has exploded so far so that's a good sign, I guess!

Sounds delightful mate and chocolate/coffee/milk stouts and porters are right up my street. Time to get a couple of them down the hatch and report back. I suppose the idea is that once you've made a load, you make your next batch so whilst thats ferementing, you can swig you initial wares. Enjoy  Pint Pint Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: Friday, February 17, 2023, 18:40:14 »

Is The Hairy Dog still going as a gig venue?

Piccadilly Tap in Manny is good, seconded.

The Hairy Dog still is going I believe mate.

Another pub in Derby that keeps a decent pint is the one straight near the train station - The Brunswick. Reasonable food prices but unsure if it's a 'Derby only' pub. Seem to remember they welcome anyone. In any case, The Merry Widows is adjacent and has seen hundreds of bands over the years. Always been a fairly friendly pub. The Flowerpot is still decent for the odd gig but tends to be ticketed but nice for a pint. Waterfall, Dolphin, Greyhound and Seven Stars are all notable others.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Saturday, February 18, 2023, 09:31:10 »

I had a pint of Black Mass (6.6%) last night which made my a little Wobby, Bob.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: Saturday, February 18, 2023, 13:52:15 »

Piccadilly Tap in Manny is good, seconded.

The Hairy Dog still is going I believe mate.

Another pub in Derby that keeps a decent pint is the one straight near the train station - The Brunswick. Reasonable food prices but unsure if it's a 'Derby only' pub. Seem to remember they welcome anyone. In any case, The Merry Widows is adjacent and has seen hundreds of bands over the years. Always been a fairly friendly pub. The Flowerpot is still decent for the odd gig but tends to be ticketed but nice for a pint. Waterfall, Dolphin, Greyhound and Seven Stars are all notable others.

Yep,all good. The Smithfield, Furnace and Exeter Arms are too.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: Saturday, February 18, 2023, 16:00:25 »

I had a pint of Black Mass (6.6%) last night which made my a little Wobby, Bob.

Nice. That's mild stuff for PV. Nice segue or sorts there though BO  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: