Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Fans urged to stay patient over Town’s style of football  (Read 13388 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, February 24, 2014, 22:57:26 »

Was in the Kop on Sunday...heard a few depressing shouts of 'get it forward'. Just like being at the cg at times!

Is that a picture of Ward and TAH on your avatar by any chance ?
They were seriously terrible Saturday and we got exposed  by pace.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, February 24, 2014, 22:58:07 »

Don't get too worried about the £400 k.
Power was Luongo's agent I am led to believe.
Reckon £400k would not have been parted with and would include add ons etc.

Notwithstanding that Jed done us no favours.

What? Didn't realise Power was his agent.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
kerry red

« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 05:38:45 »

I take it you've not watched much of Serie A this season? Wink

I've said before that I think any manager coming in last summer would need two years to put any kind of new system in place. Same with Moyes at Man Utd, same as Mourinho seems to be claiming at Chelsea, only we had a heck of a lot more upheaval, and a lot less cash to spend,

But the difference is that they will build on what they have. Our team will be dismantled as the loanees go back and Are replaced by new loanees which may, or may not, be as good but will, again, take time to settle into this 'style' thing.

It seems we will be in a constant state of upheaval on the playing side
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 07:17:16 »

But the difference is that they will build on what they have. Our team will be dismantled as the loanees go back and Are replaced by new loanees which may, or may not, be as good but will, again, take time to settle into this 'style' thing.

It seems we will be in a constant state of upheaval on the playing side

The only regularly played loanees have been Pritchard and Hall. Hall isn't very good and, while we would miss Pritchard, losing ONE decent loan player isn't abnormal.

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 07:53:43 »

Indeed, as I said before I think the real danger is that some of the core contracted players are let go and replaced with inferior replacements.

TAH and JMac are presumably gone unless they take massive pay cuts. We may be tempted to cash in on someone if an offer is forthcoming. We still need to remove 600K off the wage bill - and that's assuming season ticket sales meet expectation.

It could all be OK of course.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 09:20:05 »

You can't aimlessly plod along with the same style of football if it isn't working which away from home it clearly doesn't, as we've all said all season we need a plan B but Cooper just hasn't had a clue where to start.
This squad is crying out for couple of proper wingers to offer some width when passing through the middle doesn't work, in fact in recent weeks our outright refusal to cross the ball has really started to piss me off especially against Colchester when they were down to 10 men. Good wing play can be 'pretty' as we, I challenge anyone to say the Caddis, Ferry & Ritchie triangle wasn't good to watch.
People draw comparisons with Swansea and their change of philosophy but a new stadium and a cash injection is ultimately what got them where they are now so I don't think any comparison can be drawn.
The main problem as I see it is the patience side of thing is a bit of a misnomer as we aren't actually really building for the future, with this approach of short term deals and maximising loans we are likely to have a substantially different squad every season and we're either going to get lucky one year and challenge or end up with an Iffy like season and see all the loan deals turn out largely useless.
Also I've seen nothing to suggest there has been any shake up of the youth system or a change of philosophy that will suddenly mean we being our own players through more regularly.
It just feels more like its a case of get by with a bit of luck and favours rather than a strategic vision.

One final thing is that if Power is going to run everything except the coaching side of things maybe we need to look at the head coach side of things rather than an old fashioned manager type. Is Cooper really upto it on the tactical and technical side of things, I'd say the jury is out on that......

That's probably the first well thought out and rational post I've seen on the matter! I totally agree with you as well, I've prepared myself to face seasons of midtable, with the odd decent season and the odd shit one. I also think our fanbase will be stripped back to it's 'hardcore' element in the next few years as it was in the King days. 
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 10:01:41 »

You can't aimlessly plod along with the same style of football if it isn't working which away from home it clearly doesn't, as we've all said all season we need a plan B but Cooper just hasn't had a clue where to start.
This squad is crying out for couple of proper wingers to offer some width when passing through the middle doesn't work, in fact in recent weeks our outright refusal to cross the ball has really started to piss me off especially against Colchester when they were down to 10 men. Good wing play can be 'pretty' as we, I challenge anyone to say the Caddis, Ferry & Ritchie triangle wasn't good to watch.
People draw comparisons with Swansea and their change of philosophy but a new stadium and a cash injection is ultimately what got them where they are now so I don't think any comparison can be drawn.
The main problem as I see it is the patience side of thing is a bit of a misnomer as we aren't actually really building for the future, with this approach of short term deals and maximising loans we are likely to have a substantially different squad every season and we're either going to get lucky one year and challenge or end up with an Iffy like season and see all the loan deals turn out largely useless.
Also I've seen nothing to suggest there has been any shake up of the youth system or a change of philosophy that will suddenly mean we being our own players through more regularly.
It just feels more like its a case of get by with a bit of luck and favours rather than a strategic vision.

One final thing is that if Power is going to run everything except the coaching side of things maybe we need to look at the head coach side of things rather than an old fashioned manager type. Is Cooper really upto it on the tactical and technical side of things, I'd say the jury is out on that......

Think this post is spot on.

Players aren't on long contracts any more, so the slow building model won't work.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 10:04:54 »

Spot on.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 10:17:18 »

I understand some of the criticism against Cooper, but the rest is knee-jerk / following comments made by others / just plain stupidity (delete as appropriate)

While I expext the loanees will change either within the season or post season (you would expect the good ones to go!), what if Swindon stick to the football model and just replace the loanees with new faces that actually fit in with the model we want to play.

Surely that can work for us.
kerry red

« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 11:23:37 »

But according to Cooper the reason for our inconsistency is that we are squad of, mainly young, players who are just getting used to what he wants.

If this is the case every season with a large turnover of players how will the 'style' ever bear fruit
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 11:29:45 »

But according to Cooper the reason for our inconsistency is that we are squad of, mainly young, players who are just getting used to what he wants.

If this is the case every season with a large turnover of players how will the 'style' ever bear fruit
The core of young players that we are trying to build around - Fods, Byrne, Thompson & Thomson, Kasim, Luongo, Smith - are all contracted to us. The only two who have featured regularly who we are unlikely to see next season, or receive a fee for, are Pritchard and Hall. Neither of whom will be sorely missed depending on who you listen to.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 11:32:09 »

The core of young players that we are trying to build around - Fods, Byrne, Thompson & Thomson, Kasim, Luongo, Smith - are all contracted to us. The only two who have featured regularly who we are unlikely to see next season, or receive a fee for, are Pritchard and Hall. Neither of whom will be sorely missed depending on who you listen to.

Alex Smith or Michael Smith?

There is Reis and Barker as well don't forget.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
kerry red

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 11:33:11 »

Hope you are right, cos I can see 1 or 2 of those you mentioned being sold in the summer.

Anyhoo, it's all part and parcel of following a lower league club
Flashheart

« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 11:36:11 »

None of us know how the squad will look come the start of next season.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 11:38:17 »

Exactly and we wont be hobbled by PDC's contracts next year
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: