Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help needed in identifying Swindon players, 1974  (Read 2867 times)
Viewfinder

Ignore
« on: Friday, December 13, 2013, 18:44:09 »

Greetings, Swindon fans.  Your help is requested in identifying Swindon players in an action photo taken against Charlton at The Valley in 1974.  Please go to our forum, www.charltonlife.com, click on the thread 'Photos of The Valley', scroll down, and posted on 12 December you will see a colour photo of a Charlton penalty taken in heavy rain.  We are trying to identify the opposition, and think it may be Swindon on 21 September 1974, a 3-3 draw.  Can anyone confirm that your away strip at that time was all blue, and can anyone identify any of your players?  Best wishes from Viewfinder.   
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 13, 2013, 18:47:26 »

That was a monster terrace on The Valley back in the days. I hear you have secured the ground's future as an "Asset of the Community". Good work.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 13, 2013, 18:50:52 »

Here's the line up for the game if it jogs anyone's memory:

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19750108

We had twice as many at the County Ground for the return match (9,816), which we won 2-0, but then again we're traditionally a bigger club than yourselves  Wink
« Last Edit: Friday, December 13, 2013, 18:55:33 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 13, 2013, 18:53:13 »

Definitely the right game.

Eastoe (2) and Syrett scored our 3 .

No doubt Reg may well be able to identify some of the players - the squad for that season is available on our website

Only 4516 in attendance!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 13, 2013, 19:39:42 »

We definitely played in all blue as an away strip for years....I liked it.

You can see Tommy Jenkins 11 in semi tea-pot mode, and Peter Eastoe 9

To me it looks like John Trollope is edging into the area, and Frank Burrows and the Prof (Colin Prophett) are lurking and Terrry Hubbard is the smaller figure poised to spring into action.

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 13, 2013, 19:44:36 »

Jenkins was a disapointment...where as Eastoe was quality.
And sadly the prof never went up to lift the cup as the Town End sang.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 13, 2013, 19:50:21 »

Jenkins was a disapointment...where as Eastoe was quality.
And sadly the prof never went up to lift the cup as the Town End sang.

Tommy Jenkins used to make me laugh...I've always liked to see a Town side with an enigmatic wide man, Alex Pritchard just about fits the bill.

Ace pitch side advertising at the Valley...only one visible for Bovril...always know your audience.
Viewfinder

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, December 13, 2013, 22:42:31 »

Many thanks for all your observations, and especially to the eagle-eyed Reg Smeeton for identifying so many of your players: I have posted the details on our forum.  In response to Dostoyevsky, The Valley has indeed been granted Asset of Community Value status, but that merely gives the fans six months to come up with an alternative plan if a developer wants to demolish the ground.

Bob Curtis is taking the penalty, and our other players in the photo probably include Richie Bowman, Colin Powell, Killer Hales - and Arthur Horsfield, who will strike a chord with you because he previously did well at Swindon, scoring 41 goals in 108 appearances between 1969 and 1972.  King Arthur was a hit with us too, playing 139 consecutive games from 1972 to 1975 and scoring 53 goals.  Oh, happy days!  Meanwhile, we are now seriously contemplating relegation to the third tier again - see you at the County Ground next season?  Thanks again for your detective work, and very best wishes for a successful and enjoyable campaign.     

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, December 13, 2013, 23:03:52 »

Thank you
Many thanks for all your observations, and especially to the eagle-eyed Reg Smeeton for identifying so many of your players: I have posted the details on our forum.  In response to Dostoyevsky, The Valley has indeed been granted Asset of Community Value status, but that merely gives the fans six months to come up with an alternative plan if a developer wants to demolish the ground.

Bob Curtis is taking the penalty, and our other players in the photo probably include Richie Bowman, Colin Powell, Killer Hales - and Arthur Horsfield, who will strike a chord with you because he previously did well at Swindon, scoring 41 goals in 108 appearances between 1969 and 1972.  King Arthur was a hit with us too, playing 139 consecutive games from 1972 to 1975 and scoring 53 goals.  Oh, happy days!  Meanwhile, we are now seriously contemplating relegation to the third tier again - see you at the County Ground next season?  Thanks again for your detective work, and very best wishes for a successful and enjoyable campaign.     

Thank you

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 12:27:50 »

Nice photo. I can also see Dave Syrett one of the two furthest back.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 13:16:53 »

I noticed that Arthur Horsfield turned out in that game...if I recall he ended up playing centre half for the Addicks, when he lost his "pace"

I liked Arthur, because he scored important goals, but he wasn't fully appreciated by a large number of our fans...King Arthur to paper headline writers...Dobbin...to them.
kerry red

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 13:39:54 »

Reg

Am I right in remembering him coming out for the 2nd half of a game smoking a fag?
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 14:37:33 »

Yep Dobbin was an under rated player who if I remember right was a heavy smoker and also asthmatic, but still scored his fair share of goals
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: