Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 36   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread 2013/14 - The Ashes Down Under  (Read 106255 times)
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, November 5, 2013, 23:04:01 »

The dust has only recently settled after we were celebrating a 3-0 Ashes series win back at the end of August, but that was then and this is now...we've entered Winter, and whilst back to back Ashes series may seem something of an overkill, my buzz is coming back and the 1st test in Brisbane is only 16 days away (21st November), so my anticipation of what's to come starts now (as well as preparing my sleeping pattern for the next 10 weeks or so!!!).

We've already had 1 warm up game, a drawn 3 day match against a Western Australian Chairman's XI in Perth and now we have a 4 day game (shown on Sky) against Australia 'A' in Hobart. Incidentally Australia weren't even in the country while the game was taking place, as they were completing a (losing) ODI tour of India (all be it not many of the expected Ashes squad were there).

There are still a couple of questions for England, who bats where and which of the tall quicks gets the nod, and the team selection for the Australia 'A' game may give its strongest indication yet: Carberry to Open, Root in the middle order at 5 or 6, Ballance gets another go after his 1st baller last week and Tremlett gets the nod ahead of Rankin & Finn. Ian Bell is rested.

The Aussies are yet to name their squad, but expect Mitchell Johnson to return after he bowled pretty well in the ODI series here and in India.

Series Predictions: Is it too early to make one? At present, I fancy England to retain The Ashes but I think the Aussies will run us very close. We won't see 'spinning' pitches that we saw here in the Summer to suit Swanny, I think they'll prepare hard, bouncy wickets for the likes of Johnson, Harris and others to hit the deck. I don't think it will be the same 3-1 scoreline as the 10/11 Ashes series, so I'm going to say 2-1 England.

Here's to a great series ahead, and I look forward to sharing many late nights with you all over the coming weeks!  Hopefully it'll be more celebrations come the end of the Sydney test in January!!! Beers

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 5, 2013, 23:17:41 »

I've got TMS on for the Australia A game- Carberry opening, Root at 5, Ballance at 6 (Bell rested) and Tremlett as 4th bowler. Curious side.

Time to start changing my sleeping pattern!
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 5, 2013, 23:23:31 »

I'm looking forward to struggling to stay awake at work
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 6, 2013, 06:54:05 »

Flying out for Christmas, the Melbourne test and the Sydney test. Fair to say I'm looking forward to this series....
kerry red

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 6, 2013, 07:37:16 »

Good day for the openers today. Cook and Carberry both make centuries and England 318-0
DMR

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 6, 2013, 10:24:38 »

Can't fucking wait.

We'll pump them.

Take Harris out and we've got the better seamers by miles anyway.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, November 6, 2013, 13:04:35 »

Nice to wake up to that scoreline this morning! Thought the Aus A bowlers were fodder when I was watching last night, but you still have to score against what is put in front of you! Carberry has to be be favourite now for the 1st test to open, and Root to slot in at 6? Think England will probably bat most, if not all, of Day 2 to give the batsmen some time at the crease.

An encouraging start!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 11:17:14 »

So 1 day of cricket left before the first test and for England only 2 selection issues really remain.

Bairstow made 48 and kept tidily enough so showed a modecum of form if Prior fails to make the first test.

The muckier picture is the battle for the third seamer.

I thought when Tremlett was left out of the latest tour game it was probably a bowl off between Finn and Rankin but with neither having fully grasped their chance it appears Tremlett is in the box seat to snap up the 11th spot at the G!

Finn has taken wickets but has gone for plenty at a fair lick.  But it sounds like in his latest spell he moved the ball and at pace which could be valuable. But England do prefer to go ror the bowl dry option so might over look his wicket taking with Tremlett's ability to keep it tight.

I would pick Finn and attack.  I think England are hoping for Tremlett to magically find his form of the last ashes series down under that we have seen anything close to for 3 years!!!
kerry red

« Reply #8 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 11:48:40 »

Agree about Finn, but good 'old Cap'n Cook has a negative outlook and will go for the bowler less likely to leak runs.

Tremlett it is
DMR

« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 11:50:43 »

Pick Finn and just tell him to bowl wheels.

I fucking love it that Mitchell Johnson is the great hope for Aus. I'd be fucking terrified if I was sat at fine leg with that clown bowling.
kerry red

« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 11:57:37 »

Loved that first ball of his in the summer which went for 4 wides!

Mind you, Ryan Harris is a real good bowler
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 12:24:21 »

Loved that first ball of his in the summer which went for 4 wides!

Mind you, Ryan Harris is a real good bowler
but as fragile as Ryan Mason
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 12:40:42 »

Flying out for Christmas, the Melbourne test and the Sydney test. Fair to say I'm looking forward to this series....

So am I Digby.  Look out for a town flag
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 13:08:16 »

Always sad to see a sporting legend retire, but what a nice send off for Sachin Tendulkar.

(didn't realise this was an Ashes thread, just saw the 'winter cricket thread' title)
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 14:13:09 by janaage » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 14:17:55 »

We'll allow that. Sachin should have gone a few years ago but you can't blame him for that, I'd carry on until I could no longer stand up if I was that popular, well paid and talented.

None out of three ain't bad.

Great career, will be interesting to see how India reacts. Hope they don't lose interest in Tests altogether.

As for the Ashes, looks like the top 6 are sorted now, Bairstow may need to sub in for Prior for the first test which worries me and the third bowler is a bit up in the air. Could be an interesting series all in all, I think momentum might be quite important as both sides have talent but a bit of fragility.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 36   Go Up
Print
Jump to: