Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shrewsbury Town v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 36876 times)
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 14:42:49 »

How is Alex Smith as an option at LB? I've heard fuck all about him to be fair

didn't look too bad at boro, might be worth a second look
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 14:48:38 »

Never a good idea to play a right footed player at left back.

Don't disagree about Byrne's quality but on that statement i have to say Dennis Irwin. There are plenty of others.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 14:51:48 »

Less attacking than Byrne, but seemed solid defensively at P'boro. And I'm yet to see him control a simple pass out for a throw by using the outside of his right foot; so on that fact alone, I like him more than Byrne.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 16:54:29 »

Byrne is way too small to be a fullback, teams will exploit him like yesterday. Every time the goalie kicked it, it went towards him, and the only way he wins a header is if he fouls the player.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 16:58:16 »

Byrne is way too small to be a fullback

not true, he may not be strong enough or a good enough defender to be a full back but his height is not necessarily a reason to write him off as a full back - Man Utd's first choice right back is rafael - he's a short arse, our poty last term was NT, again, he's pretty tiny - rottweiler inside mind Smiley
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:03:54 »

not true, he may not be strong enough or a good enough defender to be a full back but his height is not necessarily a reason to write him off as a full back - Man Utd's first choice right back is rafael - he's a short arse, our poty last term was NT, again, he's pretty tiny - rottweiler inside mind Smiley

He's too small and too weak, his positional sense is awful and he's being played on the wrong side. In the Premier League where more teams play football you can get away with smaller fullbacks, as they are mainly used for attacking. In League one teams aren't as technical good will use the hoof to exploit his height.

Thompson is bigger and more physical.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:18:44 »

Don't think size is an all important factor in being a full back.
According to wiki (!!!) Byrne is 5ft 10. Jamie Vincent was only 5ft 11 and wasn't exactly built. Could bloody defend though - which to me in the most important attribute in a defender.

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:22:08 »

What you will find with players like Byrne etc out of academies is that they can often struggle with the hussle and bustle of first team football, particularly at our level. At academy level clubs are trying to out football each other. Keepers play it short, passing football is encouraged etc. Not alot of direct football is played at all. In league 1 getting pelted by high balls-direct style football with 6 foot plus players in their twenties coming at you is a massive wake up call. This was and is my biggest fear with so many young kids in our team.

Byrne clearly lacks a bit physically and this was apparant vs Brentford, highlighted again yesterday with the goal conceeded. The lad has to learn quick as the fans will soon get on his case if it continues. If I was setting up a team to play us i'd be instructing my players to hit diagonal balls over the full backs as that is where we can be ripped apart. Think we will struggle against direct and physical sides this season. To be expected
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:24:44 by arriba » Logged
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:25:04 »

If I was setting up a team to play us i'd be instructing my players to hit diagonal balls over the full backs as that is where we can be ripped apart.

that and gamble on misplaced passes between our back line...

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:26:28 »

that and gamble on misplaced passes between our back line...
Yep. Press high and force errors
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:30:21 »

we have missed mason in the last couple of matches, the other midfielders all want to sit deeper, mason is naturally more attacking.  i still think we have a decent side, just need to tweak things a little - ranger will help in this regard if found innocent as he'll offer a completely different 'out ball' to what we've had so far
kerry red

« Reply #266 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:33:01 »

We are going to be inconsistent this season.

We'd better get used to it
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:36:39 »

Agree with Arriba - the diagonal balls will be dangerous but they can be stopped with pressure on the ball in central midfield. It is the part of the Michel's-like play that we are missing, and they need to go together.
DanSTFC

« Reply #268 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 18:30:52 »

The first couple of pages on this thread are pure comedy 

Thanks for the points, didn't think we'd get any again this season tbh but yesturday you proved me wrong, we were unlucky to only come away with 2 goals in the end! Enjoy your season guys.

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 18:37:55 »

The first couple of pages on this thread are pure comedy 

Thanks for the points, didn't think we'd get any again this season tbh but yesturday you proved me wrong, we were unlucky to only come away with 2 goals in the end! Enjoy your season guys.
fuck off or we'll set dossy on you.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: