Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Storey Time?  (Read 17479 times)
KingsOfChaos

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 22:57:44 »

I've really liked what I've seen of Miles so far. The boy will do well given the chance I reckon.

Should have got a chance earlier last season I think. The A. Rooney signing wasn't necessary IMO.

Couldnt agree more...and Williams is def not the answer if we are playing one up top.
He is useless at holding the ball up and wins very few possession headers considering his height.

I'd be inclined to give Miles a go early on if only as a 60 min sub to see if he can stamp his mark.  Jury is out on new signings, but think we def need a No.1 striker if Miles isn't first choice as Williams just hasn't cut it and he's had long enough to come good.

Hello all by the way...newbie poster! 😰
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 00:58:26 »

Couldnt agree more...and Williams is def not the answer if we are playing one up top.
He is useless at holding the ball up and wins very few possession headers considering his height.

I'd be inclined to give Miles a go early on if only as a 60 min sub to see if he can stamp his mark.  Jury is out on new signings, but think we def need a No.1 striker if Miles isn't first choice as Williams just hasn't cut it and he's had long enough to come good.

Hello all by the way...newbie poster! 😰

not exactly sure that miles is the one up top striker your suggesting...

i think he is just like williams, likes to sit on the last defender and run onto the ball. williams criticism is getting a bit unfair, he hard some really good moments last season when high on confidence. the fans havent helped him at all and when we switched to 4-5-1 his game suffered big time. get him up top along side another striker and he will be back goalscoring. i can see williams/storey fighting it out for one place but we need another or a benson.
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 07:20:22 »

Hello all by the way...newbie poster! 

Way too harsh on Williams
The Great Stan

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 07:23:56 »

May be Mr Rose Tinted here, but I think he will do well this season.

He's defo a confidence player, though
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 07:26:38 »

May be Mr Rose Tinted here, but I think he will do well this season.

He's defo a confidence player, though

Is he, would have taken a lot of bottle to take that penalty in the play off's, does suggest he is a shrinking violet.
The Great Stan

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 07:29:05 »

Williams I meant
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 07:34:55 »

Williams I meant

Oh yeah he is definitely a confidence player.

However (and I suspect that this may be the only time he is compared to Michael Owen) he seems to have lost a lot since he was injured and, like Owen, seems to be afraid of puitting his foot in for fear of getting injured. He seemed to often pull out of challenges and if he was one on one with a keeper if the keeper charged out he would just leave it.
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 07:48:34 »

Is he, would have taken a lot of bottle to take that penalty in the play off's, does suggest he is a shrinking violet.
I believe he meant Williams not Storey.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 09:09:19 »

Williams in the second half of last year after the Christmas/January period did, as horlock said, get a bit more cautious- less likely to chase stuff down or tackle- whether through fear of injury, or lack of confidence I don't know.

He also picked up this annoying habit of seeing a pass coming, looking away, then turning off his marker and running to get on the end of it instead of fighting with the defender for it, or watching where it was actually going. I don't know whether that was Paolo-initiated or he decided to do it himself. I'm all for losing your marker when a ball is expertly threaded over his head or out of his reach, but Williams would just go for it no matter what the ball was like, and 90% of the time the gurt beast of a L1 centreback would just biff it away and Williams would slouch broodingly back onside. You could almost see him going "Well, fucked that one up didn't I?" to himself.

He is a great player, he really is, despite what a lot of people say (and are likely to again...). Some of his touches are sublime, he's got great awareness, he's a hard worker with fantastic pace that really throws off some of the lumbering L1 centrebacks, and at some point (I'm not saying this season, I'm not even saying the next, but at some point) that is all going to click and he is going to score 20/25/30 in a season. It just hasn't happened yet, mostly because his finishing is a tad wayward. If he gets even 10% more clinical, then he's going to be a 20 goal a season striker. It's interesting to note he's already got a better goals/games ratio than he did when he was at Yeovil, and I have a feeling that might get even better this season. He's not deserving of some of the 'Uhhh Andy Williams is shit' idiocy that I've heard.

Storey I've only seen glimpses of- Villa obviously, and the Play-off semi against Brentford, but it's a bit unfair to judge him on either of those games. I do think he should be looking at bullying his way into the team on a regular basis, as with a bit of a dearth of strikers he's got a big chance to do it, but he's not a starter yet. Bring him off the bench in the last 20/30 minutes of games and see if he can't repeat his heroics against Villa.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 09:31:25 »

Williams has got it all there to be a good Championship striker apart from mental toughness. Thats why he's plied hias trade with Yeovil and us. He is one of the most frustrating players we've had in a while. If he gets hos head sorted, he'a hell of an asset. If he carries on like he finished last season, I'd be shot of him.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 09:41:54 »

He's capable of this:

But comes up with this MUCH more often:

« Last Edit: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 09:47:24 by jayohaitchenn » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 10:31:33 »

I think a new striker is on the top of whoever brings our players in's wish list.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 11:48:33 »

Liked Storey from the early youth team games and hoped he would progress. Was a bit worried regarding the hamstring problems as he relies on having a lot of pace for a biggish guy and that could be an ongoing difficulty. Not sure if PDC really rated him but now under "new" management I would think that he is going to be a regular on the bench and this should be his defining season.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 18:27:16 »

Looks a limited player to me, poor first touch and all round game and not much aside from pace. Don't think he has the attributes to be a lone striker, not saying that Williams has either but he is certainly the better option for that role assuming we go with the 4-2-3-1.

Hopefully I will be proven wrong this season and I am sure he will get the chance but I hope the lad is not built up too much off the back of 5 minutes against Villa.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 18:33:01 »

Looks a limited player to me, poor first touch and all round game and not much aside from pace. Don't think he has the attributes to be a lone striker, not saying that Williams has either but he is certainly the better option for that role assuming we go with the 4-2-3-1.

Hopefully I will be proven wrong this season and I am sure he will get the chance but I hope the lad is not built up too much off the back of 5 minutes against Villa.

Not forgetting the England cap of course....believe me Mr Chang when i say if he stays fit and plays he will bag loads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: