Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Town beat off top clubs for Tijane signature  (Read 8954 times)
bobby barnes jink

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2013, 10:42:48 »

Tad harsh! I am not really that involved in finances really anyway, more testing that the systems are calculating the correct numbers and all that jizz.

Jizz as in 'Hut'? Well then you're a bally hero, man!
iffy

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2013, 10:56:36 »

You need to be very careful when Prem clubs big up these lads, because the reality is somewhat different when they're playing against overseas competition.  I did a post a few days back about how the limitations of England's top Prem youths have been exposed in the FIFA U'20 tournament in Turkey. England drawing with Iraq and Chile, then losing to Egypt, thus strtching a run of 17 games in these finals without a win dating back to 97 when Michael Owen scored a winner.

Danny Mills summarising was particularly scathing about the kind of players the Prem U21 system produces...."technically not good enough for the Prem, and physically not strong enough for the lower leagues"

So the Prem clubs import the foreign lads, with the technical ability....and the lower league clubs take the English kids who often struggle because of hype, over payment and the physical nature of the game.  Of course there will be exceptions to thse rules, but we've seen a couple recently who've been involved in England age groups...Nouble and Bostock, who haven't set the world on fire.

It's like that line from The Wire, when Stringer is trying to go straight and Avon says:

"I look at you these days, String, you know what I see? I see a man without a country. Not hard enough for this right here and maybe, just maybe, not smart enough for them out there."
knifey spoony

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2013, 13:01:14 »

In particular Cherno Samba at 71 above Michael Essien, Dimitar Berbatov and Kaka...

http://www.theshedend.com/topic/22268-fourfourtwo-top-100-youngsters-in-world-football-2001/

And check out who's at number 99!
iffy

« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2013, 15:16:30 »

Great list. Players like Chopra and Pennant have always played with the attitude that the world owed them a living and this list tells you why. Being told you're number 5 on a list where Iniesta  was 20th would give most people a sense of entitlement.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2013, 16:00:22 »

Great list. Players like Chopra and Pennant have always played with the attitude that the world owed them a living and this list tells you why. Being told you're number 5 on a list where Iniesta  was 20th would give most people a sense of entitlement.

All of which tells us the need to avoid hyping up these players who've done fuck all, when they're kids. When interviewed Barca management keep going on about humility as a required top quality as well as abilty. Of England players of recent vintage, I'd say James Milner has it...when he was with us, you could see he was giving it his best shot.
iffy

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2013, 16:19:45 »

All of which tells us the need to avoid hyping up these players who've done fuck all, when they're kids. When interviewed Barca management keep going on about humility as a required top quality as well as abilty. Of England players of recent vintage, I'd say James Milner has it...when he was with us, you could see he was giving it his best shot.

Couldn't agree more.
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2013, 21:26:56 »

Milner has the opposite problem.  He has a brilliant attitude and has done a lot with his limited talent.  The problem is that is exactly what his talent is - limited.  Someone like Iniesta - who admittedly is a special case - has the attitude and the talent.  Get three or four of these in a team and you're sorted - see Spain circa 2008/09/10.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2013, 21:35:23 »

Milner has the opposite problem.  He has a brilliant attitude and has done a lot with his limited talent.  The problem is that is exactly what his talent is - limited.  Someone like Iniesta - who admittedly is a special case - has the attitude and the talent.  Get three or four of these in a team and you're sorted - see Spain circa 2008/09/10.

I think Milner has the talent.

Sadly his problem is he went to Man City to win things which in fairness he has but he doesn't play every week.

When he was the first name on the team sheet at Villa he was superb for them. Similar to Scott Parker, SWP, Andy Carroll and Daniel Sturidge, all the better for playing regularly.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 21:52:09 »

Done a bit of wiki-esk research into our unknown Tijane.

On trial with stoke last season.

The skilful wide-man has attracted the interest of a host of clubs after impressing for club and country over the last 12 months.

West Ham and Benfica are both thought to have expressed an interest, but Stoke are hoping to steal a march on their rivals by luring Tijane to the Britannia Stadium.

Potters boss Tony Pulis has been alerted to Tijane's potential and has invited him over for training so that he can cast an eye over him at close 

Obviously came to nothing but it shows that other teams had scouted him.

Started career at Benefica U19, so they obviously knew a bit about him anyway.

Last played for GD Chavas in April 2013, they won Div 2 title (finished 20 points ahead of Boavista!), 11 appearances in total, 1 goal, 3 assists.

Season before 21 appearances, 1 goal
Season before 22 appearances 4 goals

Played 10 mins for Portugal u21s in June 2012. This was in a euro qualifier which they top the group. Obviously a decent caliber of opposition and team mates.

Only fan quote I could find was:

this will be the player who will give many joys to Portugal, Anaconda never let me down it will be the next direct rival of leo messi. Legoca

Which was translated...

I know YouTube is nothing to go by in these young foreign players but I'm hoping, should we ever see him, that this is a signing with big potential.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 06:55:55 »

I was having a bit of trouble with his name. Anaconda it is then.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 14:13:29 »

So we 'beat off' Spurs for Tijane. Shah is coming in to good use then, Daniel Levy must be happy.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 14:16:10 »

So we 'beat off' Spurs for Tijane. Shah is coming in to good use then, Daniel Levy must be happy.

Eh?

Ah, just looked at page 1.

Carry on . Embarrassed

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 14:21:42 »

Was having a look at the International Clearance thing and I guess this part of the contract may explain why we are having our away week in Portugal? Hope this Tijane kid is the real deal.

Players may train or play in ‘behind closed doors’ friendly matches without International Clearance. However, in
these circumstances, the Club should have the permission of the player’s former Club and confirmation that the
player is not under suspension. For friendly matches played in public the written permission of the other
National Association is required

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 14:31:32 »

So if we did beat off Tottenham for his signature I take it he has a 'Spurs release clause' written into his contract, so if does turn out to be the real deal they can can take him for free?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: