Poll
Question: Is Bristol a nicer place to live than Swindon?  (Voting closed: Sunday, June 16, 2013, 18:10:37)
Yes, Bristol is a nicer place to live than Swindon - 30 (47.6%)
No - 33 (52.4%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is Bristol a nicer place to live than Swindon?  (Read 17240 times)
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:10:37 »

Taking my own love of STFC out of the equation, I would probably do what Flint has done - better money, longer term security, less uncertainty around the club, and Bristol is a nicer place to live than Swindon (if he doesn't already live there, it's not a bad commute). Also, we've a had a good few years of service, made some money, and may even profit from a sell-on clause in the future. It is potentially a good move for everyone involved, if we are shrewd in the transfer market in the next 2 months or so.

The above post, on another thread, seemed to cause a degree of controversy.

To my mind (football loyalties aside), this should be the most one-sided poll since the 1997 General Election.  What do the rest of you think?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:12:22 by Peter Gibbons » Logged

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:25:41 »

The best bits of Bristol are way better than the best bits of Swindon.  And the worst bits of Bristol are much worse than the worst bits of just about everywhere.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:26:01 »

Nicer place to live though?  Not sure.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:45:33 »

I have been delivering to all parts of Bristol for many years.

Firstly any town or city with a river...and a big one at that is going to be an exiting and vibrant place to live....and work.

It has taken Bristol along time but the last few years the city has realised that tourism needs a cleaner  place and one more up to date with facilities....apart from the roads they have done a good job.

My fave parts are the Arno Vale cemetery..which is currently getting a facelift,great old cemetery with many of the people who made Bristol great buried there.

http://www.bristolpast.co.uk/#/arnos-vale/4546913736

The Bristol Industrial Museum is a good visit......Clifton is a part of Bristol because of its steepmess remains old Styly with some good old pubs and roads....including Whiteladies Road which gives a clue to its slavery trade past.

The museum below is free to get in...Wills the tobacco magnate donated much of what is in there for the people of Bristol....there is loads in there to see including a full history on Bristol Ware(Pottery) which is more interesting as it sounds.

http://discoveringbristol.org.uk/browse/slavery/category/learning-education

The River makes the City great....it meanders out of the City under the brilliant suspension bridge to Avonmouth.

Is it a nicer place....no....is there more to see and do ....much more, which will have a lot of people saying it is a better place.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:52:01 »

Just to throw a further bomb in, without Bristol there wouldn't be a Swindon as we know it

Cannot comment on poll,  haven't been to Swindon for about 5 years and apart from passing through on the train this year haven't been to Bristol for about 25 years!
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 18:53:34 »

Bit of a random brain dump as I probably know Bristol better than Swindon.

Better shopping. Cabot Circus & Cribbs Causeway, Park St/Clifton and to some extent Broadmead, blow away anything Swindon has to offer, with the only notable exception being the Outlet Village.

Leisure facilities. Club loyalties aside, there is a lot more to do in Bristol than in Swindon. The waterfront area, Millennium Square, @Bristol, Aquarium, Hippodrome, O2 Academy, Colston Hall to name a few. Swindon has......the Oasis, Link Centre and the Wyvern. No competition.

Two established Universities, Swindon is still pissing around deciding.

Food and Drink. Massive range of bars and restaurants. In fact, my current fave restaurant, Yume Kitchen, is in Bristol. I know Swindon has some good restaurants too, but it can't compete on variety and quality IMO.

I could go on. I personally would rather live in Swindon than Bristol, if only to be closer to the CG, but its difficult to make a case for Swindon to be a better place to live than Bristol IMO. I do agree with Ardiles first post though.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 19:01:57 »

Although I should say, its like comparing apples with pears.

Different people will have different perspectives and opinions on what makes a place good or bad to live in. Lots of different factors involved (i.e. proximity to family, place of work, schools, leisure pursuits). Everywhere is a compromise.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 19:04:23 »

No. I agree with Aridles Bristol has some nicer areas than Swindon, . Plus it has bigger dives than Penhill. But you also have to consider that its practically Welsh. So surely that's enough to make Swindon victor.

Besides, the rich of Swindonshire live in a house, a very big house, in the country. That's very much more appealing than a nice area of Bristol.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 19:25:07 »

One suspects that asking this question on a forum where the vast majority are Swindonians probably won't capture the true picture
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 19:26:35 »

One suspects that asking this question on a forum where the vast majority are Swindonians probably won't capture the true picture

Exactly.
TungstenCarbide

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 19:30:10 »

Bristol undoubtedly has more variety, more going on, has better amenities/facilites and has some much nicer areas than the nice parts of Swindon.

However it also has more than its share of slummy, rough-as-fuck, shit-heap areas too. Despite what the guy earlier said I wouldn't ride my unicycle around St Pauls out of choice. Gentrification my arse...
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 19:41:16 »

I have never lived in Swindon and to be honest have no desire to do so, as sporting teams aside have no ties to the Town at all.

I lived in Bristol for a short time (albeit many years ago) and worked there for about 15 years and similarly to Swindon have no desire to live there either.

So in summary, can I have a "they are both equally shit places to live" option please.

That said I now live in Peterborough, which is probably worse than both Sad
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 19:43:35 »

In all my life I have never shopped in Bristol so I have no idea how it compares to Swindon for the people who love to shop.  Sadly I had to go into the centre of Swindon to conduct some business at my bank and all I can say what a shit hole the centre of Swindon has become.  Jesus, so many empty shops, dirty streets and shop assistants with an obvious chip on their shoulder!!  And as for that "sculpture" made of corrugated iron words failed me.  If you are in the market for a new phone, have a bet or visit a pound shop you are well served!!
TungstenCarbide

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 19:44:53 »

My grandparents lived in Peterboro. Agreed, it made Swindon look good by comparison...

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 19:45:16 »

I hate bristolians and their good awful accent. The nightlife is crap, but I do like cribbs and Cabot circus.

Worked in the city for about 5 years driving the whole area and didn't like it one bit. We had a van broken into on a school site once by one of the parents picking up their kids. Nice.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: