Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The 'Summer' of Cricket thread 2013  (Read 136570 times)
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 07:55:33 »

Last few years September has probably been one of the better months of our summer.

Can't predict the weather mate.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #856 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 08:52:43 »

Match abandoned! Now a 3 match series, England need to win in Cardiff to stand a chance of winning series...not sure what forecast is like though?!

Saturday looks ok. Monday looks a write off.

The perils of chasing money and trying to fit in cricket in dubious months.  Next year the 5 home Tests v India are spread over about 6 weeks!

I'll deffo be going to the tests but where the one day series is concerned i'll give it a swerve. Though as we will only be 6 months out from a world cup I would expect nigh on full strength teams.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 08:57:34 »

England has 12 dubious months!
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:26:39 »

I'll be doing the test matches next year, might even go to a Sri Lanka test as the weather might have warmed up by June, I'll probably do the ODI at Bristol v India as it's close but other than that I prefer going to test matches than ODIs/t20s

#VivaKenBarlow!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 17:34:12 »

I went to Edgbaston yesterday and the whole atmosphere was very 'meh'. Any ODI series will feel downbeat sandwiched in between two Ashes series. I can never get too excited about ODIs as it is, but just couldn't make the Tests this summer. Thankfully, I'll be taking a seat at the MCG and SCG over Christmas and New Year, which softened the blow of yesterday's wash out.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: Monday, September 16, 2013, 22:20:44 »

Well tonight brought an end to the international Summer in England, losing the ODI series to Australia 2-1...and tonight by 49 runs to the Aussies, who have played the better cricket in the 3* match series (*was 5 but 2 wash outs). Some positives to take from an England development squad (with a few seniors in there) as Jos Buttler batted well, Ben Stokes bowled well in 2/3 games, Boyd Rankin looks a handful and thought Chris Jordan looked steady in his debut tonight. Alarmingly Pietersen (1 50), Trott (hardly any runs) and Root (hardly any runs) still couldn't find their form. It'll be interesting when the Ashes test squad is announced who gets on that plane to Australia!

Just the YB40 final and 2 county championship games left in the English domestic season, although it seems Winter has arrived quicker than expected (hardly cricketing weather)!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: Monday, September 16, 2013, 22:40:21 »

Decent series considering the weather and the fact we played a Lions side.

I'd take Rankin to Australia, they don't like facing him at all. I think my touring party would probably be:

First XI Cook, Compton, Trott, KP, Bell, Root, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Rankin
Backup: Bairstow, Ballance, Onions, Finn, Panesar

Presuming that Bresnan's still injured, if not then he goes I guess. But there are a few interesting decisions to make there...five batsmen are obvious but the sixth and seventh so far up in the air that they're subject to air traffic control
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 08:44:04 »

I personally don't think Compton will go to Australia, he hasn't had the best of seasons and I think if he still had a part to play with England they would have called him up during The Ashes this Summer. I also don't think Carberry has done enough right now (and I'm a fan of his), but as you say Nemo the 6th, 7th spots are still up in the air so who goes is anybodies guess, and there are 2 championship games left to impress yet! Rankin definitely impressed me and he almost seems to have nudged Chris Tremlett out, although if Bresnan isn't fit then I think they'll take all of Tremlett, Rankin & Finn as the big men.

#VivaKenBarlow!
REDBUCK

« Reply #863 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 09:39:33 »

Actually, I think one reason Compton wasn't recalled was that it was decided pre series that Root would open in all tests and even though Root hasn't excelled the selectors were never going to do a u turn. Also although our top order batting was great this series, we still had too much for the Aussies so could afford to give Root a run.

Compton has an average of 46.78 in a first division team not batting well,  which seems to be well above anyone else being considered.

They'll need a back up opener for the tour, so he should get in.
DMR

« Reply #864 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 09:43:36 »

If they don't take Compton it will be ridiculous. Carbs ain't good enough, nor is Bairstow, wouldn't want to blood a youngster in an away Ashes series (Ballance, and to a degreee James Taylor).

I think we'll see Finn back in if it's quick.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 10:04:34 »

IMO nothing to choose between Carbs and Compton other than the gut instinct of the selectors.

Carbs hasn't been given a trot so harsh to say he's not good enough, plus Compton's Test average of 32 is hardly setting the world alight.

There's an argument to say take them both and push Rooty back down the order. Don't think they will mind.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 10:10:47 »

IMO nothing to choose between Carbs and Compton other than the gut instinct of the selectors.

Carbs hasn't been given a trot so harsh to say he's not good enough, plus Compton's Test average of 32 is hardly setting the world alight.

There's an argument to say take them both and push Rooty back down the order. Don't think they will mind.

The selectors might be tempted to go left field and pick Sam Robson of Middlesex...24, leading run scorer in the CC, and an Aussie, who's qualification has been Alamed.  That'll wind the Convicts up...
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 10:14:57 »

The selectors might be tempted to go left field and pick Sam Robson of Middlesex...24, leading run scorer in the CC, and an Aussie, who's qualification has been Alamed.  That'll wind the Convicts up...

I would have thought it'll be the Lions first for Robson. Not seen him play though so who knows?! Has a British mother so not quite Alamed but anything which winds up the Aussies, I'll have some of that!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 10:17:58 by Paolo69 » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #868 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 10:44:54 »

The selectors might be tempted to go left field and pick Sam Robson of Middlesex...24, leading run scorer in the CC, and an Aussie, who's qualification has been Alamed.  That'll wind the Convicts up...

Robson seems to have been lured back by the Aussies, he's playing in NSW grade cricket over the winter. He seems to be flirting with both sides at the moment and not commiting to either.

Shameless hussey.

Hopefully he isn't as good as Hussey if he does go Aussie mind.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #869 on: Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 11:05:15 »

I think it's a good move by the Aussies to get Robson back over there...looks a promising talent and think Flower rates him highly. England have tried to get him I believe, as they didn't want the same result as what happened with James Pattinson.

#VivaKenBarlow!
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60   Go Up
Print
Jump to: