Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBC News: Swindon Town to halve playing budget for next season  (Read 44634 times)
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 09:36:00 »

Obviously from the way most of you have been talking we've been turning down approaches for Simon Ferry for the last couple of years.

I've missed this. Tell me, during January, when every league club in the country was circulated with the names of all our players as being for sale, what interest did we have in him? Was it from championship clubs or league one rivals?

..never go back.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 09:56:37 »

£2.4m divided by 24 people = £100k each, or £2k per week average wage.

What should be more interesting is that £4.5m = an AVERAGE of around 4k a week.  Given some of the players will have barely been out of youth contracts, some of our players would indeed be pushing up closer to £10k a week than £2k a week!

It could well take a year of redress to get back in balance, regardless of owners.  Looks like it was shit or bust.  That £4.5m budget was essentially all our income for a year!  I think it goes to show why Black finally had enough, although he should have had the balls to stop it getting that high.  a £3m loss is inevitable for this season.
iffy

« Reply #77 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:35:11 »

What should be more interesting is that £4.5m = an AVERAGE of around 4k a week.  Given some of the players will have barely been out of youth contracts, some of our players would indeed be pushing up closer to £10k a week than £2k a week!

It could well take a year of redress to get back in balance, regardless of owners.  Looks like it was shit or bust.  That £4.5m budget was essentially all our income for a year!  I think it goes to show why Black finally had enough, although he should have had the balls to stop it getting that high.  a £3m loss is inevitable for this season.

What we don't know about this is how much of the £4.5m went on in-and-out the door people like Esajas and Cibocchi and Magera. And of course Phil Spencer. It could be that we blew £1m on crap that never really touched the sides in terms of the first team. PDC made lots of mistakes quickly.

It might be that you could meaningfully divide that £4.5m into a £3m 'baseline' playing budget (that we need to bring down to £2m) and a £1.5m "my passion, my project, my vision, my people" Fund that we won't need next year.
iffy

« Reply #78 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:48:19 »

This (sorry to link to the DM), gives weekly wages in each league.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2055140/Premier-League-wages-FIVE-times-Championship.html

If the average L1 wage is about £1,500/week (or £78k/year) then a 24-man squad gives you a playing budget of £1.9m.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:52:18 »

I'm not at all sure how you get £4.5m to equal 24 players averaging £4k a week? 4000x24x52 = £4,992,000 just for a kick off, and you've not taking into account any employers on-costs in this. Not all of the clubs wages budget is going to go into the pockets of the players.

More importantly where the hell do you get a number like 24 for the squad size? Over the whole season I'm also guessing we've had something over 40 players in the squad, with an average squad size of over 30 of which probably half a dozen are 1st year pro's / kids and 2 to 4 are loans (I'm assuming that the players wages budget will also include the payments we've been making to loan players).

Add in any signing on fees we've paid to new signings (of which there have been loads in the last few years) and I don't think the average players salaries are anything like you're guesstimate. If the agent's fees come out of the same pot then you're figures are definitely completely fucked.

..never go back.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:05:17 »

More importantly where the hell do you get a number like 24 for the squad size? Over the whole season I'm also guessing we've had something over 40 players in the squad, with an average squad size of over 30 of which probably half a dozen are 1st year pro's / kids and 2 to 4 are loans (I'm assuming that the players wages budget will also include the payments we've been making to loan players).
41 players were assigned a squad number this season, 32 of whom made at least one appearance. Of those 32, 9(ish) were loanees (Parrett, Byrne, Luongo, Coke, Bostock, Hollands, Martin, Rooney and Ward) and 3 were youth players (Waldon, Francis and L Thompson). The remainder were Risser, Caddis, Cibocchi, Smith and some youngsters. Cox was never assigned a squad number but was obviously registered to us.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:19:25 »

41 players were assigned a squad number this season, 32 of whom made at least one appearance. Of those 32, 9(ish) were loanees (Parrett, Byrne, Luongo, Coke, Bostock, Hollands, Martin, Rooney and Ward) and 3 were youth players (Waldon, Francis and L Thompson). The remainder were Risser, Caddis, Cibocchi, Smith and some youngsters. Cox was never assigned a squad number but was obviously registered to us.

That looks about right. I guess I hadn't taken into account in my earlier post that some of our registered players were out on loan which would offset some of their costs. Still I don't think it's safe to assume that £4.5m just gets split 24 ways and conclude that this means there are players taking home nearly £10k a week.

..never go back.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:28:33 »

That looks about right. I guess I hadn't taken into account in my earlier post that some of our registered players were out on loan which would offset some of their costs. Still I don't think it's safe to assume that £4.5m just gets split 24 ways and conclude that this means there are players taking home nearly £10k a week.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the players shipped out on loan early in the season were still being paid their entire salary by us given Di Canio's penchant for shifting people out at the drop of a pen regardless of consequences
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:29:16 »

Isn't Miller or was it Roberts (cannot be bothered to check back) according to the oracle of town rumours costing us around £10k a week what with the mobile phones and cars?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:29:51 »

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the players shipped out on loan early in the season were still being paid their entire salary by us given Di Canio's penchant for shifting people out at the drop of a pen regardless of consequences

Heretic  Grin
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:30:09 »

. Still I don't think it's safe to assume that £4.5m just gets split 24 ways and conclude that this means there are players taking home nearly £10k a week.

I agree with this, that figure will also include a massive wage to PDC and reasonable sums to FP, DD, CD.

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #86 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 13:03:19 »

Isn't Miller or was it Roberts (cannot be bothered to check back) according to the oracle of town rumours costing us around £10k a week what with the mobile phones and cars?
Roberts is probably our highest earner, it wouldn't be that high though. Maybe 7k..
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 14:01:31 »

Roberts is probably our highest earner, it wouldn't be that high though. Maybe 7k..

Haven't you got the message that almost nobody on here believes these figures that a few of you continue to pluck out of your arses about how much players earn.

This is Gary Roberts who had one brief flirtation with the Championship, but spent most of his career in the lower leagues or the League of Wales were talking about right?

And you think he was in such a strong bargaining position when Huddersfield released him (because they didn't think he was good enough for the Championship) that he could demand a salary about £100k over the average Championship player's wage?

Are you suggesting that your hero Paolo was a crook or an idiot?

..never go back.
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #88 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 14:22:22 »

He turned down a new contract with Huddersfield before coming here. I spoke to some of their fans at the time who said that their chairman was paying out silly wages for League 1, so if he's turning down Huddersfield wages...
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 14:34:05 »

He turned down a new contract with Huddersfield before coming here. I spoke to some of their fans at the time who said that their chairman was paying out silly wages for League 1, so if he's turning down Huddersfield wages...

I thought Hudds released him. Carlisle were one of the sides that wanted him but we offered him far more and they couldn't compete (according to their manager Greg Abbot). I personally can't see it being £7k a week or anywhere near but like most (probably all) am only guessing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: