Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBC News: Swindon Town to halve playing budget for next season  (Read 44399 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:16:08 »

“It’s significant funds to put it politely,” he said before, when asked if the kitty was of a similar size to recent years, adding: “Yes to be fair, yes it is but not to be spent naively or through false promises and it’s about managing it and one’s expectations."

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10250965.Robins__new_chairman_says_kitty_will_be_handled_with_caution/

Think this is where most people have got it from

No

There was a Q&A where Jed said the budget will remain the same. However, I do not think that was referring specifically to next season.
Dozno9

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:18:12 »

Not quite the clear statement that the budget will be identical that many have interpreted it as...

He says budget would be similar and if Sam's report is to be believed along with the BBC reports today then £4.5m is not "similar" to £2m.

That article also says:

Though it was McCrory’s cash which acquired the club initially, he told the Advertiser that two private investors would help to bankroll the continued development of the Wiltshire outfit and that they have a financial clout roughly equating to the budget under Black.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:21:59 by Azza » Logged
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:27:13 »

He says budget would be similar and if Sam's report is to be believed along with the BBC reports today then £4.5m is not "similar" to £2m.

That article also says:

Though it was McCrory’s cash which acquired the club initially, he told the Advertiser that two private investors would help to bankroll the continued development of the Wiltshire outfit and that they have a financial clout roughly equating to the budget under Black.
I can understand why people interpreted it as such but in the same article he clearly talks of "financial prudence" and that money is "not to be spent naively or through false promises and it’s about managing it and one’s expectation".

I really don't think it's fair to say that McCrory promised to match the supposed £4.5m budget when he took over and has now done a complete U-turn... if anything, it'd be impossible for him to contradict himself given that's he said roughly fuck all.

We all know that the previous spending was unsustainable and was leading us into trouble, nobody was going to buy into this football club with the sole intention of continuing to underwrite huge losses. There are plenty of reasons to criticise and doubt McCrory & Co but I don't think this model of sustainability and budget cuts that are  clearly necessary is one of those reasons.

Many on here were criticising Bournemouth on the troll thread yet seem to expect us to continue in the same vein.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:32:34 »

It all adds up, 23 match days with 8500 crowds paying on average £18 gives match day sales of roughly £3.5m, so wage budget of £2m and £1.5m for other costs.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:38:40 »

I really don't think it's fair to say that McCrory promised to match the supposed £4.5m budget when he took over and has now done a complete U-turn... if anything, it'd be impossible for him to contradict himself given that's he said roughly fuck all.
I think it is fair to say that he said he would match the £4.5m because that is precisely what he is quoted as saying....

Paolo Di Canio was understood to have been handed a £4.5million warchest this season.

“It’s significant funds to put it politely,” he said before, when asked if the kitty was of a similar size to recent years, adding: “Yes to be fair, yes it is but not to be spent naively or through false promises and it’s about managing it and one’s expectations, calming down the big drive of this ‘we’re going to get a new stadium’.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:40:53 »

I think it is fair to say that he said he would match the £4.5m because that is precisely what he is quoted as saying....

Paolo Di Canio was understood to have been handed a £4.5million warchest this season.

“It’s significant funds to put it politely,” he said before, when asked if the kitty was of a similar size to recent years, adding: “Yes to be fair, yes it is but not to be spent naively or through false promises and it’s about managing it and one’s expectations, calming down the big drive of this ‘we’re going to get a new stadium’.

With the caveat of the bit you didn't highlight in bold.
corner

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:48:43 »

It all adds up, 23 match days with 8500 crowds paying on average £18 gives match day sales of roughly £3.5m, so wage budget of £2m and £1.5m for other costs.
Add the potental of 1.8m in concerts plus 300k for caddis, tidy profit.
Flashheart

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:50:42 »

I don't think we'll be seeing the concert money in the budget until it's in the bank.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:54:00 »

Does the wage budget also include all the backroom staff etc, equally costs of stadiu, management, the police, lease cars etc it all adds up!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:54:11 »

Actually, the more I read that comment the more it does sound like a total contradiction. I'll get on my bike and start back pedalling now.

I still maintain my point about budget cuts being inevitable and necessary yet people are still huffing and puffing about it
Dozno9

« Reply #40 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:57:41 »

Does the wage budget also include all the backroom staff etc, equally costs of stadiu, management, the police, lease cars etc it all adds up!

On the ticket price calculation to work out the budget you could also add; FITC, corporate hospitality, food and drink sales, programme sales, merchandise and sponsership revenue.

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 11:59:24 »

Actually, the more I read that comment the more it does sound like a total contradiction. I'll get on my bike and start back pedalling now.

I still maintain my point about budget cuts being inevitable and necessary yet people are still huffing and puffing about it

Cuts maybe,halved when the chairman has stated funds will be similar though is gonna prompt a negative reaction from fans. Half isn't similar, not even close.
Dozno9

« Reply #42 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 12:00:05 »

If we can't afford the higher budget then fair enough, I'd rather have a stable L1 club than a  defunct one.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 12:01:40 »

Do you seriously think we're going to make that much profit on concerts? I mean, really?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, May 9, 2013, 12:01:43 »

Two words: austerity measures. We shouldn't blame Jed, we should all be blaming Keynes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: