Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: why do stfc have so may enemies  (Read 8278 times)
Topcat

« on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:15:05 »

Having browsed through various message boards from different clubs who have been known as our rivals and cant believe the hatred against us and the joy that we have not made it to wembley
Teams who really seem to dislike us are

Oxford -
Bristol city
Bristol Rovers
Gillingham
Reading
Aldershot
Brentford

I know that we have a long history with all of those teams apart from Aldershot & Brentford but I am really surprised of the anger against us even though we are not classed as a big club. Have we really upset them all over the years
Thoughts please

nochee

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:15:59 »

Shrewsbury too
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:22:33 »

Plymouth
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:26:57 »

Saw a fair amount of hate from Tranmere earlier in the season too...

Edit: This seems a bit tame though:

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/boards/read/s383.htm?730,14022398

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/boards/read/s383.htm?730,14007939
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:35:58 by Peter Gibbons » Logged

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:27:41 »

I'm sure we all smiled to see City & Reading relegated, and probably would if Rovers had gone the same way.

We would all piss ourselves if Oxford suffered the same fate.

Brentford is surely just because they happened to be who we played, we would probably have taken the piss out of them had we have won.

The Pikeys has for the most part been a one way thing for years now. In the late 70's & early 80's just after the punch up at the CG we were a bit bothered, but most of us have moved on, unfortunately they don't seem able to. 

I guess it's because they don't have anyone else to have a rivalry with, which probably explains Aldershot as well.

@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:28:57 »

Not sure where the Aldershit one started- I know it got a bit tasty after the FRT semi when Fraser  got sent off and we lost.
Plymouth is obvious after one of theirs was killed in Swindon

Never really considered Reading in that way even tho as close as shitty or poxford
Flashheart

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:36:11 »

Recently the press have branded us as cheats.
Topcat

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:42:47 »

I'm sure we all smiled to see City & Reading relegated, and probably would if Rovers had gone the same way.

We would all piss ourselves if Oxford suffered the same fate.

Brentford is surely just because they happened to be who we played, we would probably have taken the piss out of them had we have won.

The Pikeys has for the most part been a one way thing for years now. In the late 70's & early 80's just after the punch up at the CG we were a bit bothered, but most of us have moved on, unfortunately they don't seem able to. 

I guess it's because they don't have anyone else to have a rivalry with, which probably explains Aldershot as well.

you make some good points and having been at the Aldershot game in the 80's as well as various Gillingham & local derbys against both bristols and oxford etc I can understand the hatred at those times as we would have been just as hostile but that was then when football was a scary place to go too and surely 25 - 30 years later time has moved on or has it been passed down from the dads to the sons
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:45:14 »

you make some good points and having been at the Aldershot game in the 80's as well as various Gillingham & local derbys against both bristols and oxford etc I can understand the hatred at those times as we would have been just as hostile but that was then when football was a scary place to go too and surely 25 - 30 years later time has moved on or has it been passed down from the dads to the sons

Back in the day you could make enemies by fighting and chucking bottles/bricks about etc. Now it's all about trolling on Twitter and on the Adver/Oxford Mail etc.  Roll Eyes

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
Topcat

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 19:49:59 »

Back in the day you could make enemies by fighting and chucking bottles/bricks about etc. Now it's all about trolling on Twitter and on the Adver/Oxford Mail etc.  Roll Eyes

Thats true and reading the commemts in the adver most days we have to put up with a Bournemouth fan chirping on about how great and successful his team is
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 20:00:15 »

I'm actually quite proud if teams hate us. I took my daughter to Scumland for her first visit earlier this season. I told her to be proud to be Swindon and when the Scummers were singing we hate Swindon songs for her to soak up the hatred and be prouder.
Fuck all of them.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 20:05:49 »

surely 25 - 30 years later time has moved on or has it been passed down from the dads to the sons

Sometimes in the TE it seems like we are back in the 90s  Head Hurts
Singing about Joey Beauchamp ffs - most of em werent born when he struggled here
Topcat

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 20:08:34 »

Sometimes in the TE it seems like we are back in the 90s  Head Hurts
Singing about Joey Beauchamp ffs - most of em werent born when he struggled here

dont forget he also got homesick when he signed for west ham and didnt stay there very long as the 50 miles was too far away from mummy
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 20:14:01 »

More recently teams dislike us because of PDC and everything that came with him which made us an easy target. Then you have the press branding us cheats and shit radio progs like Jeremy Vine saying we were atrocious for letting Mcormick train with us. That and we had a good budget for a couple of years which attracts some grief.

Teams that hate us like Aldershot, Gillingham, Bournemouth and Tranmere make me laugh. Really? They must be desperate for a rivalry as I can't say any of them register on my radar as rivals. I actually find it quite funny.

For me our rivals are, in order of importance, Oxford, Bristol shitty, brovers and at a push Reading.

Other teams that attribute rivalries or dislike on us just make me chuckle.

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
DMR

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 20:17:25 »

We don't.

All fans think loads of others hate their team.

It's like a weird superiority complex.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: