Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Maggie dies  (Read 19860 times)
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 13:31:05 »

Ahhhh that's ok then. Now i can't see what all those people put out of work were complaining about.

Eh? I'd complain if I was put out of work... doesn't make me right though, just looking out for my own interests.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 13:32:05 »

I note Dave Whelan is calling for a minutes silence at matches. No chance of that being observed at all. Not happy the woman has died but she doesn't deserve everyones respect in my opinion.

Pretty much where i sit too arriba. I would observe a minutes silence because i'm not a moron (well i like to think not anyway) but I can understand why many wouldn't. It would be a joke, even David Mellor thinks so.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 13:35:44 »

Eh? I'd complain if I was put out of work... doesn't make me right though, just looking out for my own interests.

Nah maybe it doesn't make it right, but if you and vitually the whole town where you live were suddenly put out of work then i think your right to complain would increase. Maybe you might even have a point. If you then had to compete against your whole town for any scraps then I for one would certainly not expect you to start mourning the death of the person attributable 30 odd years later.

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 13:42:34 »

Pretty much where i sit too arriba. I would observe a minutes silence because i'm not a moron (well i like to think not anyway) but I can understand why many wouldn't. It would be a joke, even David Mellor thinks so.
It just wouldn't happen. Opinions are too strong and divided on her. Some think she is now in hell though I dont believe that,she's dead and that is that imo.
Reckon it could kick off at her funeral
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 13:45:39 by arriba » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 14:14:23 »

I've seen a number of people trying to attribute current problems to Maggie. Worth pointing out that she was in power for 11 years and since she left 23 years have passed, including 13 years of Labour government. Plenty of time for things to be changed and fixed.

Part of the reason some things haven't changed is that some of her policies weren't that bad. Moving from direct to indirect taxation for example, a policy that was continued by the Labour government. The current tax rates of 20%/40% (albeit with higher VAT) is a Maggie policy, previously they were 33%/83% (albeit with lower VAT). Privatisation has continued as well, albeit under different names - such as outsourcing and PFI. Plus even Labour have been turning their back on and distancing themselves from the unions to a certain degree.

I do sympathise with the miners and many others that lost their jobs. But I don't agree with the way they responded, which no matter what anyone says was solely down to them - but I'm sure some will blame the trouble that has already occurred and the inevitable disturbances at her funeral on her as well.

If they'd have gone down the peaceful negotiation route more jobs would have been saved and they'd have been able to negotiate additional concessions - such as increased regeneration. Interesting that people that claim Maggie should have negotiated with Argentina don't think the same about the miners.
Levi lapper

« Reply #185 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 14:28:37 »

I want to know where my stake in: British telecom, British gas, the national rail service etc , state assets that were worth billions, i now have to pay more to use, where has all the money Thatcher got from selling that lot gone to? I haven't got any of it that's for sure. thieving cunts the lot of them.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 16:03:58 »

I want to know where my stake in: British telecom, British gas, the national rail service etc , state assets that were worth billions, i now have to pay more to use, where has all the money Thatcher got from selling that lot gone to?

I believe to cover a bit of the debt the country had run up in the '70's, when we had to go cap in hand to the IMF.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 16:40:16 »

I think this thread conclusively proves a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

It's All Good..............
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 16:50:20 »

I note Dave Whelan is calling for a minutes silence at matches. No chance of that being observed at all. Not happy the woman has died but she doesn't deserve everyones respect in my opinion.

To be honest he would call for a minutes silence for Mick Philpott if it meant getting his name in the papers.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 16:51:25 »

I was barely alive when she was dethroned, and don't have enough to join the debate. But I thought this was a well written piece, in the face of all the 'dancing on the grave'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/russell-brand-margaret-thatcher

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 16:56:57 »

I was barely alive when she was dethroned, and don't have enough to join the debate. But I thought this was a well written piece, in the face of all the 'dancing on the grave'

Why do you have to be alive to contribute to a debate?  I wasn't alive during WWII, but feel able to offer some understanding.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 17:07:11 »

Because this thread seems to be full of people who did live through it, and if I chipped in with my half baked and half lost A-Level history knowledge I'd be shot down in flames

Things get better but they never get good
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 17:14:53 »

I read that in the library early. Excellently and entertainingly written. I was going to post a link myself but given how unpopulor Brand seems to be amongst many I thought better of it. He's staggeringly articulate. Shame about the buffoonery.
Levi lapper

« Reply #193 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 18:03:20 »

I believe to cover a bit of the debt the country had run up in the '70's, when we had to go cap in hand to the IMF.

Or miras payments to the newly housed-up property owning democracy, we spent more on that than we ever did on housing benefit incidentally.  Thatchers death has stirred up a lot of old memories, the battle of the beanfield, the poll tax riot, they were more interesting days than now in many ways, or maybe that's just because I'm getting old!  Hmmm
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 22:30:47 »

I read that in the library early. Excellently and entertainingly written. I was going to post a link myself but given how unpopulor Brand seems to be amongst many I thought better of it. He's staggeringly articulate. Shame about the buffoonery.

I found it offensive. He seems to be a supporter of terrorism given the "her aggression towards our neighbours in Ireland" comment. For the younger readers the "neighbours in Ireland" are the ones that left 5 people dead and 31 injured in an attempt to assassinate Thatcher with a bomb.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: