Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Swindon Town chairman to step aside when takeover goes through  (Read 11285 times)
News Monkey

« on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 07:00:05 »

Swindon Town chairman to step aside when takeover goes through

OUTGOING chairman Sir William Patey believes he will have succeeded in what he set out to achieve if the takeover of Swindon Town is completed today, as the former diplomat prepares to walk away from the County Ground.

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/10223226.Swindon_Town_chairman_to_step_aside_when_takeover_goes_through/?ref=rss

ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 08:13:57 »

Swindon Town chairman to step aside when takeover goes through

OUTGOING chairman Sir William Patey believes he will have succeeded in what he set out to achieve if the takeover of Swindon Town is completed today, as the former diplomat prepares to walk away from the County Ground.

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/10223226.Swindon_Town_chairman_to_step_aside_when_takeover_goes_through/?ref=rss

Don't think he'll be missed too much, give him more time to spend at the dentist!! 
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:29:41 »

Wtf?! Walking away?! Jesus fucking christ, didn't see this coming. Well that's my season ticket being thrown pathetically across the room in the general vicinity of a bin.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:31:45 »

who?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:36:16 »

Didn't the Adver run with this story about a week or so ago?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:42:21 »

Yeah they did.

I think Sam is on holiday so whoever is stepping in for him, is clearly rehashing a load of old stories.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:45:19 »

Yeah they did.

I think Sam is on holiday so whoever is stepping in for him, is clearly rehashing a load of old stories.
Sounds like it, pages to fill I guess.

I would rather there was a big headline saying "Takeover completed"! Cheesy

Flashheart

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:05:00 »

While Patey came across as surprisingly undiplomatic for a diplomat, it was never his fault he couldn't tell the fans what they wanted to hear.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:07:28 »

While Patey came across as surprisingly undiplomatic for a diplomat, it was never his fault he couldn't tell the fans what they wanted to hear.
I have to agree with all of that. Not his fault, he was brought in to do a job which he has done, was not that good a public speaker or that much of a communicator though which seems a bit weird considering his background.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:09:00 »

“That is what we set out to achieve, and the club will move forward on a new basis which is basically debt free, and that would be a big success in our book.

Job done really.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:12:23 »

Diplomats are not known for public speaking, or for communication skills though, are they?  More known for an ability to have a handle on detail and thrash out covert deals behind the scenes.  He certainly seems to have succeeded there.

He was/is Andrew Black's man, first & foremost.  Wasn't really working for the Club at all.  Another stint that will add to an already impressive CV...but cannot see him being remembered for very long by anyone outside the boardroom.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:17:38 »

Yeah you are probably right there Ardiles, I think I just expected maybe a little more from him given the last few communicative chairmen we have had.

But hes done his job and as you rightly say he will not be remembered by many for anything other than that interview with the BBC when he was off to the dentists and sounding like a man running out of breath, which was probably just the BBC picked a bad time to interview him really.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:17:46 »

Diplomats are not known for public speaking, or for communication skills though, are they?  More known for an ability to have a handle on detail and thrash out covert deals behind the scenes.  He certainly seems to have succeeded there.

He was/is Andrew Black's man, first & foremost.  Wasn't really working for the Club at all.  Another stint that will add to an already impressive CV...but cannot see him being remembered for very long by anyone outside the boardroom.

Quite right...although I suppose most of us secretly hoped, SWP, might have known someone willing to throw petro-dollars at us....rather than the gentleman looking to make something of Cheltnumb.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:36:53 »

Quite right...although I suppose most of us secretly hoped, SWP, might have known someone willing to throw petro-dollars at us....rather than the gentleman looking to make something of Cheltnumb.

As you know, I'm also highly sceptical about 'the gentleman looking to make something of Cheltnumb'.  Wait & see mode.  Those that have spoken to him like his enthusiasm, but I'm far from convinced he's the right man to take us forward - at least for now.  That said, the 'petro-dollars' idea makes me shudder.  Probably in a minority here, but not a route I'd want to go down anyway (not that I could see anyone from that part of the world wanting to invest in STFC.)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:56:33 »

Well we don't have much choice do we. Its Jed or bust.

The way I see things (probably wrongly) the sale of Matt Ritchie should let us continue to try for promotion until the end of the season, then all bets are off.

But somehow it all feels "normal" again!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: