Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: League 1 tonight  (Read 23154 times)
kaufman

« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:18:15 »

Just in case nobody has seen this. This is their chairman talking about the Pack deal.
He seems confident it will go ahead.
I think this deal is more important than most people suggest. If it's a permanent deal at the end of the season drawn up in the contract then Pack will want assurances he's not going to only get 3 months with Dicanio.
Many managers do leave not long after signing players but it will be interesting.
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Cheltenham-Town-video-Web-chat-highlights/story-18117856-detail/story.html#axzz2KWyRwU72
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:19:39 »

Isn't this more or less what we did last year?

To an extent I suppose you could argue this, however our income is probably treble that of a lot of league 2 clubs. Plus we didn't exactly spend a fortune on players did we? Think Connell was the only one over £100k.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:27:10 »

To an extent I suppose you could argue this, however our income is probably treble that of a lot of league 2 clubs. Plus we didn't exactly spend a fortune on players did we? Think Connell was the only one over £100k.

We certainly spent last year, but have to agree with this.  We were a bit of an anomaly in League 2 last season.  Revenues from ticket sales were 3, possibly 4 times that of a large number of other clubs in the division.  We spent more than anyone else, but we generated a lot more revenue as well.  You cannot argue that with Bournemouth.  They are, at best, an average sized League 1 club.  The effect of the owner's cash on their fortunes is much more significant.  Not a black & white issue - but one that has many shades of grey.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:37:20 »

It's not as simple as buying players though is it? How many contracts did we pay up last year? In most cases you're looking at a substantial loss for the club for those, as you don't even get the benefit of having a player available anymore.

I don't think Bournemouth are living within their means by any stretch of the imagination, and I hate the cunts a little bit, but unless something crazy happens, its probable they'll finish above us. Even so, we're only 3pts off the top, and we can bet on Paolo working up te players for the run-in. It's still all to play for, especially if we get Pack/BWP/Green in.

(I think Eddie Howe has been following my FM career too- I often buy rival teams' star players for shit and gigs. Even if they're not in ky division...)
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:46:29 »

It's not as simple as buying players though is it? How many contracts did we pay up last year? In most cases you're looking at a substantial loss for the club for those, as you don't even get the benefit of having a player available anymore.

I don't think Bournemouth are living within their means by any stretch of the imagination, and I hate the cunts a little bit, but unless something crazy happens, its probable they'll finish above us. Even so, we're only 3pts off the top, and we can bet on Paolo working up te players for the run-in. It's still all to play for, especially if we get Pack/BWP/Green in.

Ardiles pretty much summed up the point i was trying to make. Yes i have no doubt we made a loss last year (and no doubt will this year), however i expect 90% of the clubs in the bottom 2 leagues will too. That seems to be the way of modern football. I bet Bournemouth's loss will be much much higher though and going back to why i questioned the original poster, i fail to see why they should be congratulated for "their statement of intent".
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:56:31 »

It's still a pretty big "pot and kettle" situation to critize B'mouth however theirs and ours spending figures can be spun.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:00:35 »

It's still a pretty big "pot and kettle" situation to critize B'mouth however theirs and ours spending figures can be spun.

Are we no longer allowed to criticise Crawley either then? Bugger!!!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:06:54 »

We should be grateful to Bormuff, for taking Ritchie off our hands...clearly there were no other takers and the alternative was admin. Had that happened, and I suppose it still might, although the runes all seem to say the takeover will go ahead, we would have got something between the 17 point deduction that Bormuff got and the 30 that Looton got.

People forget that the FL wanted rid of Bormuff...much the same way as Looton, but they turned to Howe, as there seemed little alternative and he worked a minor miracle.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:21:17 »

Are we no longer allowed to criticise Crawley either then? Bugger!!!!

Always allowed to criticise them, isn't so appealing to me since fatty left mind you
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:29:25 »

We should be grateful to Bormuff, for taking Ritchie off our hands...clearly there were no other takers and the alternative was admin. Had that happened, and I suppose it still might, although the runes all seem to say the takeover will go ahead, we would have got something between the 17 point deduction that Bormuff got and the 30 that Looton got.

People forget that the FL wanted rid of Bormuff...much the same way as Looton, but they turned to Howe, as there seemed little alternative and he worked a minor miracle.

Yeah i'm grateful Reg. Just like i feel like we still owe Blackburn a favour for taking that Shearer bloke off our hands 20 years ago. The way they bought him, hardly played him and then offloaded him 6 months later means will always be in their debt i expect.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:44:58 »

Bournemouth may have spent big, but they spent the lion's share of that cash under the previous manager and were fucking shite. Eddie Howe has done a brilliant job there (again).
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 12:05:33 »

Bournemouth should be well clear at the top with the squad they have, it is only due to to the poor management before Howe that they aren't.

FWIW we are in a very good position to be able to kick off and achieve promotion once the takeover is sorted.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 18:30:52 »

Yeah fair play to Bournemouth for over spending more than anyone else in the league.
I'd be happy for us to do the same if it meant promotion.

We have seen first hand what a shoe string budget leads to in League 1, a season like 10/11.
phelpsieboy

« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 18:49:16 »

I'd be happy for us to do the same if it meant promotion.

We have seen first hand what a shoe string budget leads to in League 1, a season like 10/11.
I'd hardly call our 10/11 budget shoe string when it was approximately £4million budget with nearly a £1 million on transfer fees
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 19:16:12 »

£1 million on transfer fees

Go on then, who was that spent on?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: