Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AFC Bournemouth v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 49491 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 10:51:35 »

Especially on a pitch like that....the effort both teams put in yesterday has to be admired.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 10:56:30 »

Saw the FL highlights. Got some sympathy with JC's miss to be honest.

As for the pitch I think the BBC summed it up nicely, you wouldn't start a game with a pitch like that.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 10:58:01 »

He's right to be fair. We can be very direct sometimes just not in the vein of hoofing the ball up from the back line.

More or less all teams in the lower divisions play direct football....and most in the Prem as well. It's the English way, to play possession football, you need technical players and we don't produce very many.

Also the fans mostly want to see up and atem stuff.  However, there are degrees of directness ranging from say "directness heavy" Stoke, to "directness lite" Chelsea.
[email protected]

Want to change my name as this email doesn't exist

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 11:10:44 »

In the days of Lou Macari, direct was a quick lump up front for the forwards to run onto.  Nowadays, it is much more controlled with an emphasis on breaking with speed.

Although I wasn't at the game yesterday so couldn't comment on how well the ref performed, from all reports and watching the highlights, he did well to get the game finished.  The number 1 concern is player safety, and when the pitch is as flooded as it was it would have been easy to call it off and few players/coaches would have complained.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 11:11:34 »

Yesterday was brilliant, despite a very bizarre game on an unplayable pitch.

Draw was probably a fair result. Great character from us to get back into it, Wes kept us in the game on a couple of occasions. Two very good teams who should be there or thereabouts.

Decent atmosphere from Town fans, loved the celebrations when we equalised  Smiley

Very happy with a point, onwards and upwards!
nochee

« Reply #410 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 11:53:02 »

Saw the FL highlights. Got some sympathy with JC's miss to be honest.

As for the pitch I think the BBC summed it up nicely, you wouldn't start a game with a pitch like that.

I watched it and couldn't believe AW scored from so far out. He/we was/were very lucky as the defender could have easily cleared it on a different day.

A draw is beautiful when you come from behind, especially in the dying minutes. It's a bitch if you are the team in front.

COYR
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 12:02:34 »

Our celebrations is something people have commented to right back to when we won at Plymouth away last season under Paolo where similar comments like "celebrated like they won the champions league" I just don't get it.

So you're a poxy club with no ambition where winning doesn't mean anything because deep down you know you're always be shite. We're not. This is football and winning means something, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 12:24:18 »

Damn straight. Unless I'm missing something and it's actually a compliment to how much we love seeing our team score, especially seeing them score an equaliser late on against a team we all fully expect to be competing with til the end of the season.

Nothing has beaten Northampton away last season yet.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 12:45:09 »

Our own fans aren't excluded from this either, they said the same about Villa fans. I agree with you, if anything it's a compliment to Bournemouth as it was a compliment from Villa to us. If we'd just beaten a generic league two team away in the JPT we wouldn't have celebrated in the same way because it doesn't really mean anything.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 12:55:45 »

Noticed the alleged comment from one of their team that our players were in the ref's ear to get the game called off at half-time.  Wonder how much work would have gone on the pitch if we had been 2-0 up at half-time!!
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 13:01:42 »

Highlights on player now.

Never knowingly overstated.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 13:09:40 »

Since no-one else has really mentioned it the last few games, I thought I should flag up how much Roberts work rate has improved since being dropped. Don't think he's hit his top form but good to see he isn't sulking about being left out and is responding in the right way by keeping his head down and working twice as hard. Did a lot of pressing and running 50 yards back to win the ball which was essential in that game as McCormack went walkabout.

Having said that, De Vita looked lethal when he came on. 
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 13:26:25 »

More or less all teams in the lower divisions play direct football....and most in the Prem as well. It's the English way, to play possession football, you need technical players and we don't produce very many.

Also the fans mostly want to see up and atem stuff.  However, there are degrees of directness ranging from say "directness heavy" Stoke, to "directness lite" Chelsea.

I absolutely love the 'direct' style of football we're playing at the moment. End to end football, played at pace, attack - counter attack, lots of chances - the most exciting form of football in the world. Spanish football may be more effective but there's a reason why more people watch the Premier League.

People like to watch Barcelona because their first team contains 11 of the most technically gifted players in the world who can make their style of football exciting.

But when technically inferior teams like Brentford try to imitate that style, which translates at this level to 'passing it around defence' with none of the penetration that good total football teams will produce, it sucks the life out of a game. And then at the end the fuckers try to say 'they're 'playing the game the right way.' Fuck that. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

My twopenny's worth on the vogue for 'passing' football in the football league and the deluded self-importance complex this creates amongst the fans.
dave_bambers_right_sock

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 13:31:26 »

Nothing has beaten Northampton away last season yet.

Think this was the best away game I've ever been to
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Sunday, January 13, 2013, 13:41:38 »

just watched the highlights on STFCPlayer.

Collins miss in the first half was an absolute sitter, he did all the hard work and absolutely spooned it - massive surprise given his run of form
The pitch looks awful even on the highlights, how was it playable in the second half? The ball clearly doesn't bounce or roll properly
Williams took his goal incredibly well, not an easy chance even with the time he had to cue it up but owes a lot to the condition of the pitch
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: