Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 800 jobs in Swindon to go (Honda)  (Read 6131 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 13:14:14 »

I don't mind admitting, I do a very menial job, go from place to place filling up vending machines, but this is a big contract which will go to nothing. I think my job is in great jeopardy like a poster has said. Big implications.

You do realise the plant isnt shutting dont you?

Im pretty sure the Mars bars and Twix will be safe...

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 13:22:58 »

Think of the snickers
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 13:24:23 »

Very sad news.

No real positive outlook for the economy at present either.
Lack of first time buyers in housing market etc.

Just feels like were are bouncing on the bottom still.

Never been as bad as this, with the duration certainly in my life time.

I try and not worry about it but when you have the mortgage and kids scenario you just can't help it.
Better to be in work than out for sure but even most people I talk to in all working sectors and not enjoying it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 16:08:12 »

Very sad news.

No real positive outlook for the economy at present either.
Lack of first time buyers in housing market etc.

Just feels like were are bouncing on the bottom still.

Never been as bad as this, with the duration certainly in my life time.

I try and not worry about it but when you have the mortgage and kids scenario you just can't help it.
Better to be in work than out for sure but even most people I talk to in all working sectors and not enjoying it.

You must have been around in the Thatcherite 80's.....this is nothing compared to those halcyon days. As Norman Tebbitt said then, if you can't find work get on your bike...
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 16:19:15 »

Only surprising thing to me is that they took on all those extra workers not so long ago.

Stil reckon things are going to get a lot worse before they level off let alone get any better.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 17:08:51 »

I don't mind admitting, I do a very menial job, go from place to place filling up vending machines, but this is a big contract which will go to nothing. I think my job is in great jeopardy like a poster has said. Big implications.

Dosser, maybe you should follow Norman Tebbitt's advice and get on your bike. It's interesting that 2 of the posters on here, who you reserve the most abuse for...namely BR and SY, both have taken Norm's advice and sought a new life in a new country.

Maybe it's time to face the fact that Calne isn't a haven in a global storm, and it may no longer be able to provide you with the means to purchase industrial quantities of cheap cider. Further IDS's war on benefit, ouch that's got to hurt you surely?
stfcinbmth

« Reply #21 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 17:27:09 »

I'm shocked, I would have thought that with your perceived superior intellect you would be doing good works for mankinds' greater good
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 18:47:04 »

Feel bad for the people who work there,terrible news and awfull implications for many....but it was always going to happen.

So why not cut out the middle men and sell cars out of the factory...why have they got to be sold from garages at extra cost...surely it would make sense to sell them at trade price like many other trades have to do.

Anyone affected i wish you all the best.
red_army

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 19:06:35 »

Honda's annoucement today was a shock to everyone I think.
Although the sales are not as good as expected, no one saw this coming.
I work for Honda and potentially could be loosing my job, not a good day.
I hope we find out fairly soon who's going.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 21:37:08 »

You must have been around in the Thatcherite 80's.....this is nothing compared to those halcyon days. As Norman Tebbitt said then, if you can't find work get on your bike...

Reg don't often disagree with you but this is worse I believe. This is now 5 years with no growth.
Things turned around in the 80's in a fairly short period of time.

Lots of things to loook forward to like the HS2 train line a few hundred yards from my house Smiley
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 21:50:38 »

If its 800 in Honda, there will be at least another 800 from the supporting industries around the town.
This was mentioned on tonight's local news, with the 800 plus the agency workers and other industries the figure will be more like 2,000. Feel for everyone connected with this terrible news. It's reported that 165,000 new Honda cars came off the production line in 2012 and around 50% were exported to Europe but European sales were down 7.6% and as a whole a million less new cars were bought in Europe in 2012 compared to 2011.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 11, 2013, 22:25:38 by Notts red » Logged
deltaincline

« Reply #26 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 23:44:02 »

600-odd new cars a day rolling out of that factory at present.

I think they are planning on cutting that down to around 400, most of which will still get shipped out to Europe.

Real shame for those affected. They must be devastated.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013, 02:34:12 »

Reg don't often disagree with you but this is worse I believe. This is now 5 years with no growth.
Things turned around in the 80's in a fairly short period of time.

Lots of things to loook forward to like the HS2 train line a few hundred yards from my house Smiley

Thatcher's policies ripped the guts out of many parts of Britain...some have barely recovered since. Apologists would argue that it was necessary, but it has left us where we are today, with the Banker's recession causing peripheral problems, winners and losers and a breaking of cohesion in society.

ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013, 10:46:21 »

Thatcher's policies ripped the guts out of many parts of Britain...some have barely recovered since. Apologists would argue that it was necessary, but it has left us where we are today, with the Banker's recession causing peripheral problems, winners and losers and a breaking of cohesion in society.

Totally agree with Reg, She sold off the railways and all the privatised utilities, now we are all paying for that decision as we line the pockets of foreign companies and shareholders.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, January 12, 2013, 10:51:38 »

Totally agree with Reg, She sold off the railways and all the privatised utilities, now we are all paying for that decision as we line the pockets of foreign companies and shareholders.

Hang on, fuel prices have never been so low, and the trains have never been better value.  What about the price of postage...privatisation and the resulting competition have been a boon for us consumers.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: