Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Insuring a car for a 17 year old  (Read 12090 times)
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, September 20, 2013, 19:53:50 »

Got a good quote from one of the "black box" companies. He has passed his test and is raring to go. If we get him insured tonight online does he have to wait for the box to be fitted? Couldn't see that on the website (though I'm sure it must be there)
My lad had a box fitted and he could drive as soon as the insurance confirm button was pressed. They told him he then needed to arrange a date and time within the next 3 weeks to have the box fitted as part of the agreement. He's had it fitted for around 5 months now and has already had the monthly payments reduced by half because he's been driving within the required conditions to keep the payments low. It also means I can keep an eye on how he's been driving which might be a bit annoying for him but reassuring for me.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, September 20, 2013, 21:32:34 »

Since this is the 4D thread and I have at least 10 months to research properly...........
What are the restrictions that you have to keep within with a black box?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, September 20, 2013, 21:38:00 »

Since this is the 4D thread and I have at least 10 months to research properly...........
What are the restrictions that you have to keep within with a black box?

The one we are looking at has no curfew. I believe they check you stick to speed limits, don't brake excessively or accelerate hard. If you drive well then you can have a 10% reduction in your payments, likewise bad driving increases your premium.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Friday, September 20, 2013, 22:08:30 »

The one we are looking at has no curfew. I believe they check you stick to speed limits, don't brake excessively or accelerate hard. If you drive well then you can have a 10% reduction in your payments, likewise bad driving increases your premium.
Yes pretty much the same, they look at breaking, accelerating, cornering,speed and time of day. He has no night time curfew but is rewarded for not driving to often past 11pm. Like I said he has been rewarded with a 48% discount fir good driving but he realises it can also go the other way if he becomes a boy racer !
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, September 20, 2013, 22:21:34 »

Yes pretty much the same, they look at breaking, accelerating, cornering,speed and time of day. He has no night time curfew but is rewarded for not driving to often past 11pm. Like I said he has been rewarded with a 48% discount fir good driving but he realises it can also go the other way if he becomes a boy racer !
With the 48% discount, what did it take the premium down to? What sort of car? I was wondering if we would have to change our Suzuki Swift to something even more gutless to help keep costs down.

Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, September 20, 2013, 22:38:17 »

With the 48% discount, what did it take the premium down to? What sort of car? I was wondering if we would have to change our Suzuki Swift to something even more gutless to help keep costs down.

Paid £300 up front, and was left with 10 £100 payments, now down to around £52, It's an SXi 1.2 Corsa. It would of actually been cheaper to buy a 1.4 Corsa of the same age, they obviously take what they can from the youngsters/parents.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 20, 2013, 23:01:46 by Notts red » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, September 20, 2013, 22:54:08 »

Thanks Notts. That's really useful to know.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: