Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bristol City Finances  (Read 4010 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 11:12:23 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20607144

City have announced losses of 14.4 million for 2012. 2011 they had a loss of 11.45m.

Is this another case of a club chasing the premiership dream? Surely if they get relegated they are going to be in deep financial shit.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 11:21:54 »

When I see figures like that, I wonder when football finance is going to get its reality check.  The rest of the economy has been undergoing a painful readjustment for 5 years, but football hardly seems to have been touched.  Why do footballers playing for loss making businesses in the 2nd & 3rd tiers still get paid 6 figure sums (annually)?  I don't get it.  How can this be sustainable?

And I take no pleasure from the fact that it's Bristol City.  Could easily be us another day.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 11:24:46 »

When I see figures like that, I wonder when football finance is going to get its reality check.  The rest of the economy has been undergoing a painful readjustment for 5 years, but football hardly seems to have been touched.  Why do footballers playing for loss making businesses in the 2nd & 3rd tiers still get paid 6 figure sums (annually)?  I don't get it.  How can this be sustainable?

And I take no pleasure from the fact that it's Bristol City.  Could easily be us another day.

Agree with this Ardiles, hence the post. Obviously because its City then there is more interest on here.

I also have a niggling concern that we might also see scary figures (albeit at smaller levels) for ourselves. Hopefully our owners know what they are doing. I am sure they are but you can't help but be a little concerned.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 11:50:11 »

Bristol City Losses:
    2012: £14.4m
    2011: £11.45m
    2010: £11.8m
    2009: £6.5m
---------------------
            £44.15 million in 4 years

Whilst people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, that is staggering. They are lucky to have such a supportive board. As are we.

pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 11:57:03 »

Out of interest, what are our 'losses' over the same period?
Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 12:00:31 »

Out of interest, what are our 'losses' over the same period?

Think it's about 14M-ish, although that includes cleaning up the mess from the previous lot.

I honestly think these things will be a thing of the past within the next decade or so (at least outside the PL). More and more regulations are being introduced to stop such shenanigans.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 12:01:27 »

Their ground can't be big enough to reach breakeven with attendances, can it?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 12:12:24 by 4D » Logged
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 12:10:36 »

There ground can't be big enough to reach breakeven with attendances, can it?
Think it holds around 22000 and even if they sold out every game with people paying 25quid a ticket, they would raise 12m.

Obviously you dont get 22000 adults paying on the gate though.
kerry red

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 12:53:49 »

So what happens if we do manage to go up this season?

Does PdC stay to spend another shedload of the Board's money in the off-chance we an make the PL?

Do the Board put the brakes on until the CG has been redeveloped?

Momentum is a great thing in football.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 12:54:40 »

With PDC in charge we are never going to be a break even or profit making club.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 12:32:38 »

With PDC in charge we are never going to be a break even or profit making club.

Regardless of who is in charge we won't until a new CG is developed.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 15:05:17 »

Regardless of who is in charge we won't until a new CG is developed.

Excuse my ignorance, but unless our attendances burgeon to the point that the County Ground is packed to the rafters week in and week out and we're having to turn people away, what essentially is the financial incentive of redeveloping the ground? Aside from being able to accomodate more people, in the unlikely event we average in excess of 16,000, how can the enormous outlay of developing the ground be justified? I'm very happy with the ground way it is. I keep hearing this thing about new revenue streams being tapped into in terms of gleaming new out-of-town identikit grounds. What does that actually mean?  Hmmm
Flashheart

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 15:08:23 »

What does that actually mean?  Hmmm

Hotels, shops, offices. Stuff that brings in additional revenue in addition to the actual football.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 15:11:35 »

A theme park would be good
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 15:16:18 »

Excuse my ignorance, but unless our attendances burgeon to the point that the County Ground is packed to the rafters week in and week out and we're having to turn people away, what essentially is the financial incentive of redeveloping the ground? Aside from being able to accomodate more people, in the unlikely event we average in excess of 16,000, how can the enormous outlay of developing the ground be justified? I'm very happy with the ground way it is. I keep hearing this thing about new revenue streams being tapped into in terms of gleaming new out-of-town identikit grounds. What does that actually mean?  Hmmm
We currently use the ground properly once every couple of weeks. A redeveloped ground can greatly increase the non-matchday facilities (build in stuff that generates revenue 5 days a week instead of once a fortnight) as well as improve the revenue-generating facilities used on matchdays (corporate hospitality that kind of thing). So you use it more and get more when you do.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: