Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekend in Calne  (Read 8860 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 21:30:56 »

Daddy!!!!! 

Quality!

Good juke box at the Jenny Wren.....erm.....um......ah.....that's it.

Clems Army!
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 21:57:10 »

I haven't been into it for a few years, but the independent Off Licence was always one of the best.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 22:30:20 »

Not planning to do much this weekend, apart from the usual grocery shopping and going to the dump. Although I've lived here all my life, can anyone reveal any hidden gems?

take a trip just outside Calne to Compton Bassett and have a meal at the White Horse... now in the Michelin guide...
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 22:39:53 »

Oh, is it?  Im going there for lunch tomorrow!

Never knowingly overstated.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 23:02:35 »

Count your blessings 4D. I'm in a room above a pub in St Annes, Nottingham, which is an area that the off-licensee has just told me is the gun capital of England  Sad Pretty shite day, rain sodden, but enjoyed the piss up in the Olde Trip to Jerusalem with a splinter group of the London Reds. Hooter's wasn't for them.

Who were those traitors then? Didnt make the jerusalem, stayed in the fellows. When for a quickie (ooh err) in hooters but queued for 10 mins without getting anywhere near a beer so went to the ground for one.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 23:17:52 »

Who were those traitors then? Didnt make the jerusalem, stayed in the fellows. When for a quickie (ooh err) in hooters but queued for 10 mins without getting anywhere near a beer so went to the ground for one.

Jerusulam had a fair few Reds in there, the London contingent (5 of them) were pussy-whipped by their other halves to steer clear of Hooters. Don't know why they mentioned the saucey establishment to them in the first place! Guys in their late 30s, early 40s, packed the booze down them. Two of them from Clapham wearing retro Swindon shirts circa 1975.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 23:22:48 »

Hmm. by the sound of the retro shirt bit I think a couple of them went into hiding and avoided getting the beers in. I think questions need to be asked Smiley
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 00:03:20 »

The jolly miller was good 15 years ago, gone now  Sad

The libbie is definitely a locals place  Wink
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 00:21:45 »

Count your blessings 4D. I'm in a room above a pub in St Annes, Nottingham, which is an area that the off-licensee has just told me is the gun capital of England  Sad Pretty shite day, rain sodden, but enjoyed the piss up in the Olde Trip to Jerusalem with a splinter group of the London Reds. Hooter's wasn't for them.
Makes you appreciate how lucky you are living in Wiltshire once you've lived in places like St Anne's. I was born and brought up just around the corner from there in Hyson Green, which is arguable worse than St Anne's and when I moved to Wiltshire it was a real culture shock. Most of my family still live dotted around Nottingham but it's a relief to know my Children can go out in relative safety down here. As you can imagine we get lots of visits from my relatives who love this area and you wouldn't find them moaning about places like Calne.  Smiley
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 00:25:59 »

Do you know if the Bartlett brothers still drink in the Libby ?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 08:26:12 »

Makes you appreciate how lucky you are living in Wiltshire ...

We have a new graduate started at work, he last lived in Manchester. He asked me if Chippenham was safe to walk around at night Smiley

Thing is though it highlights your point, he was serious, some places are properly no go. And we get away with that here
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 08:54:34 »

The Jolly Miller during Pip's tenureship was superb. Trev, from Marlborough continued the good work, but then it all went to shit.

Talbot and London Road are alright, as is the Lansdowne, the rest are pretty dire to be honest.

Calne's a lot better than it was though, and driving through on the A4 I'd even imagine some people would think it looks a nice town. 
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 13:50:30 »

Do you know if the Bartlett brothers still drink in the Libby ?

Paul? I know who he is, bit older than me though  Wink
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 13:52:22 »

The Jolly Miller during Pip's tenureship was superb. Trev, from Marlborough continued the good work, but then it all went to shit.

Talbot and London Road are alright, as is the Lansdowne, the rest are pretty dire to be honest.

Calne's a lot better than it was though, and driving through on the A4 I'd even imagine some people would think it looks a nice town. 

I think I know who you might be Jan, do you have a younger brother? Did U wear a tam a shanti for the England v Scotland game in euro 96 at the jolly?
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 16:02:09 »

Paul? I know who he is, bit older than me though  Wink
Yes Paul and his brother Gary are probably in their fifties now, both used to be decent footballers and were often found in the Libby. Calne is more attractive now the old factory ( Harris' ? ) isn't there although it closing down must of affected lots of Calne families work wise. Having the new library built smartened that area up no end.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: