Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC v Brentford FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 36948 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 09:47:03 »

Was Uwe Rosler not linked with the managerial role here before Paolo got the job?
Yep and visa versa, Brentford were the only other club looking at Paolo.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 09:55:46 »

Whenever we play the Bees I’m reminded of their legendary goalkeeper from the late 50s / early 60s, Gerry Cakebread, surely one of the finest footballer names ever. Played 374 games for them. Not bad when you consider he was always a part-timer.

That’s official part-timer, unlike JD who played like he was one during ‘that’ season.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:11:29 »

I really don't understand the resentment of Douglas. Fair enough, he played badly in a poor team for a season before he buggered off. But isn't there the possibility that he became disillusioned by a club selling its best players and going down without a fight? I can't say I blame him for his bad performances or for moving on. Good luck to him.

That being said, I hope we smash them tonight. 3-0 Town.
  I agree with you, even though he wasnt as good as the season before, he was still by far our best player.
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:11:37 »

Douglas was the captain of a load of bottling twats - has any other side ever gone down the season after playing in the playoff final?

He deserves all the shit he gets tonight in my book.

Smug Fuck Off
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:13:01 »

He's saying in the adver interview that the club didn't offer him a new deal and he didn't have a choice about leaving.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:25:45 »

He's saying in the adver interview that the club didn't offer him a new deal and he didn't have a choice about leaving.

Exactly the opposite of the story of when he signed for Brentford.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/13975150

Brentford have completed the signing of Swindon Town captain Jonathan Douglas on a two-year deal.

The 29-year-old Republic of Ireland international was out of contract at the Robins and informed the club he wanted to leave earlier this week.

He had been at the County Ground for two years and made 95 appearances.

"He will add an enormous amount of experience and quality to our squad," Brentford manager Uwe Rosler told the club website. 

"Jonathan is a player that attracted a lot of attention from many other clubs," Rosler added. "We were aware of his situation early on and we are fortunate to get him."

Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:28:02 »

So a bullshitting bottler to boot, BOOO! Wink
Flashheart

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:29:14 »

What a lying cunt.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:30:18 »

So a bullshitting bottler to boot, BOOO! Wink

Yeah and a statement here to confirm he is a bottler....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/13942620

Swindon Town skipper Jonathan Douglas likely to leave
Jonathan Douglas

Douglas started his career with Premier League side Blackburn Rovers

Swindon Town captain Jonathan Douglas has informed the club he is leaving, with Brentford his likely destination.

Douglas, 29, joined the Robins from Leeds in 2009 and made 84 league appearances in his two seasons.

"He rang me to say he'd had an offer from Brentford," chairman Jeremy Wray told BBC Wiltshire.

"In truth League Two does not appeal to everyone and from his perspective if he has the opportunity to play at a higher level then I can understand that."

Wray continued: "I appreciated him calling me personally, I respect his honesty and I wish him well.

"In a way it feels like unfinished business. He was our player of the season in 2010/11 but he was disappointing by his standards last season.

"But on another level I think it's important to have a clean slate after what happened last season [Swindon's League One relegation]."

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/9109357.Douglas_to_join_Brentford/

JONATHAN Douglas has decided against signing back on with Swindon Town and will instead join League One Brentford, the Advertiser understands.

The Irishman's contract expired at the end of last season and he has since chosen not to return to the County Ground.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:34:00 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:34:08 »

Player in not wanting to play league 2 football when given the chance of playing league 1 football shock.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:35:06 »

Player in not wanting to play league 2 football when given the chance of playing league 1 football shock.

Oh I don't blame him at all for that but he should not say he wasn't offered a new contract when apparently he was but chose against signing it.

Dozno9

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:38:59 »

The club wanted to renegotiate a new deal after he and the other load of shit cunts took us down that then subsequently fucked off. He was captain and meant to be the protagonist (in PDC's words) but had a big yellow streak up his back at the end of that season and bottled it that season and for the next one also.

He showed fuck all loyalty to the club that had paid him well (it's football blah blah blah). He phoned Wray during negotiations and said Brentford had offered him a contract and then fucked off.

Nothing to do with money (according to Wray) or closer to home (he lives in the Cotswolds) simply that he wanted to play in league one. The division that he worked so, so hard to keep us out of the season we went down.

Subsequently on twitter he took the piss out of us playing Macclesfield in League Two so fuck him.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:42:32 by Azza » Logged
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:41:22 »

This is all well and good Shaw Rosso, but have you thought what you're going to write when we play these teams for the second time this season?

Fear not, I have so much trivia and stats for each of our opponents I think I can do 4 games a season. I struggle to fit it all in and what doesn't get used is stored away for another day Smiley
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:50:55 »

I'm also in the camp of not feeling these great levels of resentment towards Douglas. He was crap (along with the rest of the team) in our mismanaged relegation season, but has everyone really forgotten what a good player he was at this level before that? How dominant he was in the big games (against Leeds/ Southampton etc.)? I bet you it's that Douglas that turns up today, and shuts a few of us up.

And while I'm up here on my soapbox, I don't understand why football fans are always so desperate to remember only the worst aspects of a clubs recent history through the conduit of ex-players and managers instead of the best (as evidenced recently in the outpourings of negativity towards Austin/ Wilson and now Douglas, with whom we shared one of the best seasons in recent history). Isn't being a lower league supporter miserable enough most of the time without foregrounding the inglorious failures of our recent past rather than than using these peoples return to remember our successes?

Anyway, I'm expecting a game in which Brentford dominate central midfield (in the way we used to in our play-off season but have never quite done since Douglas left  Wink ) but for us to create more chances, with the result depending on whether it's one of those games where we take those chances, or one of those games where we don't (one from the Andy Townsend school of analysis, but you really do never know which Swindon is going to turn up in front of goal).
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 10:52:51 »

Most people would have done the same in his position and taken the opportunity to stay in league 1.  I’ll chose to not put the blinkers on and block out the previous season to that and remember that he had one excellent season and one average season that seemed crap but he was dragged down by the shit around him.

I’ll be interested in what a definition of the term “Bottler” actually is when it relates to the accusation thrown at Douglas, he certainly wasn’t going into games giving 50%.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: