Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chairman  (Read 61109 times)
bobby barnes jink

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 08:54:16 »

Sitting down and watching this current situation unfold.

Today, I would suggest that PDC would be feeling like a real "dick". With his egotistical behaviour and especially his stupid after match childish antics he has helped in getting J Wray the sack.

Wray was unable to manage DiCanio and therefore he was removed from the top seat.

Reports state that Wray was offered a position to continue at the club and he didn't want too...!!

I really hope PDC can see what he has done to a "mate" and will pull his head in and do what he is exceptionally good at...that is understand football on the field and let the commercial side of the business be run by managers with business skills.

Only time will tell if PDC can keep to his three year plan and not keep running to the Board for more every time there is a challenge on the field.. 

I do hope he can and will.

Come on Swindon.... Smiley

Interesting take on things. Alas, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an outpouring of humility from our manager. What does surprise me is the feeling that some of us are now a little more ambivalent as to whether or not PDC goes next. Obviously we want him to stay, he personifies success.

But have recent events weakened our previously unwavering, unconditional support for the man? There are only so many spats and outbursts and whinges that the average fan can swallow. It'll be our club long after PDC moves on and I for one live in fear of the ghosts of administration and overspending. Our eyes should not be bigger than our bellies.

Personally I hope the brakes have been put on. I sit very uncomfortably with giving away good players we paid good money for. I don't like poorly concealed threats to quit and I don't really like a revolving door policy with regards to players. I like a settled, solvent, successful football club and we don't really know, deep down, if we have one of those.

Yes, speculate to accumulate, but please don't turn our club into the circus others accuse us of being.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 08:56:36 by bobby barnes jink » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 09:25:02 »

Listening/reading the little bits an pieces this morning my take was:

Wray - Wanted success through promotion. Championship = increased revenue exposure = increased investment oppertunaties.
Black - Wanted success through all avenues without the gamble/ extra expenses of bankrolling just the team. New ground/inestment/on pitch investment, but not at the cost of the others.

As fans, we are bound to agree with Wray.

As a manager of a football team PDC is bound to agree with Wray.

Blacks seems less risky long term. I just hope Wray got it wrong about the Championship drawbridge raising.

Who's approach is right? Who knows. The man holding the cheque book makes the call.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 09:32:19 »

But have recent events weakened our previously unwavering, unconditional support for the man? There are only so many spats and outbursts and whinges that the average fan can swallow. It'll be our club long after PDC moves on and I for one live in fear of the ghosts of administration and overspending. Our eyes should not be bigger than our bellies.

Personally I hope the brakes have been put on. I sit very uncomfortably with giving away good players we paid good money for. I don't like poorly concealed threats to quit and I don't really like a revolving door policy with regards to players. I like a settled, solvent, successful football club and we don't really know, deep down, if we have one of those.

Yes, speculate to accumulate, but please don't turn our club into the circus others accuse us of being.

I like this a lot.  Don't want to get too down on PDC at the moment.  But I think you're right.  The support for him is becoming more qualified/conditional than it used to be.  The magnetism & charisma that he brought to the club after the futility & drabness of Paul Hart was precisely what we needed.  That magnetism & charisma is still important...but perhaps not quite as important as it was 15 months ago.  It will take you so far, but it won't take you all the way.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 09:59:37 »

I don't think we've seen whether PDC has it yet. He may spontaniousky combust, or he may bring more success and leave for someone else. I'd have liked to see which, may still do I suppose.

Personally I started having reservations over the Connell treatment, but it doesn't mean he was wrong or right...
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10:17:04 »

Is it to soon to start a 'who do people want as our next manager thread?'
Flashheart

« Reply #350 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10:22:08 »

Is it to soon to start a 'who do people want as our next manager thread?'

Yes
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10:29:00 »

I am a bit more relaxed about this today.

Wray, Black and Patey have made it clear that the change of Chairman is to do with ensuring the board maintain a focus on the commercial aspects of the club. There has been no suggestion that the playing budgets will be cut, but it is clear (rightly IMO) that they aren't going to be increased any time soon either.

I am sure/hope that PdC/Spencer will realise that no other club is likely to back him as much as Swindon have at the sort of level where he is likely to get an offer.

With a dollop of common sense things should be back to business as usual within a day or two.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Flashheart

« Reply #352 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10:31:35 »

but it is clear (rightly IMO) that they aren't going to be increased any time soon either.

Except it's been stated by the new guy that removing the embargo is a priority. 
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10:33:16 »

With a dollop of common sense things should be back to business as usual within a day or two.

Hmmmm ..... Di Canio and Common Sense ...... Hmmmmmmm
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10:34:56 »

That might mean selling someone in January, or sending back some loanees, not piling in more cash (if that is even allowable) I hope Austin moves for a big fee in January - that should sort things out.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Flashheart

« Reply #355 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10:39:29 »

That might mean selling someone in January, or sending back some loanees, not piling in more cash (if that is even allowable) I hope Austin moves for a big fee in January - that should sort things out.

Correct Nev.

Yet at the same time it might mean they will inject more cash. We don't know so how can it be 'clear'? (which is what I was getting at). We shall find out in the coming days weeks. 
fatbasher

« Reply #356 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10:42:34 »

Also an element of not what you know but who you know here me thinks.

Especially if we are seeking more investment. I also get the feeling misplaced or otherwise that Black maybe thinking a new ground rather than trying to develop the GC may be a better way forward and hence the intro of Patey.

I have alluded to the fact that we are light on the fanbase and that ST will have to rise substantially for next season or we will struggle financially in the Championship if we get there with our gates. Am I right in thinking that there is a wage cap on the horizon for them too? If so we'll really struggle and this current embargo will seem like pocket money in the championship.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10:44:44 »

I thought he qualified that as removed in weeks rather than days. Can't find the quote now though.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Flashheart

« Reply #358 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10:47:56 »

I thought he qualified that as removed in weeks rather than days. Can't find the quote now though.

He did says weeks rather than days. If by 'anytime soon' you mean we are limited only by the embargo then I think I misread your post a little. (Some seem to be assuming that the purse strings are being tightened by the board)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Tuesday, October 16, 2012, 10:51:19 »

Correct Nev.

Yet at the same time it might mean they will inject more cash. We don't know so how can it be 'clear'? (which is what I was getting at). We shall find out in the coming days weeks.  
This embargo will not go away just by injecting some more cash!!  It has to come from sponsorship, revenues etc.  One way round it would be to rename the DRS the Betfair Stand or even call the whole thing the Betfair County Ground, I presume that would be sponsorship and allowable, a cash donation as a straight donation might help balance the books but it will not sort the embargo out.  As I see it, beat AV at home, draw a massive club (home or away) to bring in extra revenue or ship some players out to bring the wages below the cap.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: