Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chairman  (Read 61122 times)
Dozno9

« Reply #285 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:11:12 »

Interesting that ground redevelopment is rising up the agenda now.  Every year that nothing happens on this front is another year that we fall further behind.  The redevelopment is now not just overdue - it's 20+ years overdue.  Most of our competitors/rivals have, on the whole, received a significant boost at some point in the last few decades from a ground move or redevelopment, but we still have that to come.

We're starting to stand out as one of an increasingly small number of clubs that is still living with the same facilities it had a generation ago...albeit with a lick of paint here and there.  The stand I sat (stood) in on Saturday is completely recognisable as the same stand the groundsman was shooting pigeons from in 'Six Days to Saturday' nearly 50 years ago.  Sentimentally nice, but also not right.  A redeveloped ground, done properly, will give this club its biggest lift in years.  Sooner or later, we're going to have to stop talking about doing something, and actually do it.

Good post.

I love our ground and the memories I get from it and as you say it's basically the same since I started going (early '80's) but the only way forward is development and with doing it on the existing site offers a great compromise.
DRS

« Reply #286 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:13:53 »

If anyone thinks Di Canio wrote that statement they need to re-read it. That's his agent positioning him for the negotiation with the new chairman/walking out to a "better" job, assuming he could find another club willing to put up with his "antics". It leaves him nicely positioned to either hold a gun to the board's head to stay or walk if he wants to and be able to claim he's not backtracked on his famous loyalty. Have to say though I soapy tit wank'ed at this bit:
Brilliant
I get the impression the board have also got a gun to Paolos head.

It is a stand off i feel at the moment
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:17:39 »

I get the impression the board have also got a gun to Paolos head.

It is a stand off i feel at the moment
True enough. He won't get the kind of latitude he's had here elsewhere. Thing is, does he realise that?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:18:16 »

You'll get your wish one day Paul. It might be soon it might not. Keep sharpening that knife though.
No need really. Give him enough rope ....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:21:53 »

Good post.

I love our ground and the memories I get from it and as you say it's basically the same since I started going (early '80's) but the only way forward is development and with doing it on the existing site offers a great compromise.
Let's hope so (on the same site). One thing that really worries me if there is a change of direction is if they go back to the out of/edge of town model and we end up with a soulless MadStad-alike. We can replace players, managers, even boards, but a new ground/ground redevelopment is a once in a generation (well more like two) thing. We only get one shot at it and if we fuck it up, it's gone.
Huwwy

"The world is my lobster"

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:22:11 »

Same methods as anyone else - put 2 and 2 together and make 5. My thoughts are that we're putting the breaks on things - get the ground development sorted and then go for it a la Gay Boys. That way if we were promoted we could sustain it. If we went up this season it is doubtful we could sustain it. I think they've also sent a clear message to PdC that he is welcome to fuck off. That would clear the embargo. If they've got a new Chariman lined up whats to say tjhey haven't got a new manager lined up.  

I agree, I think a this is partly to show PdC he is running the team and not the club.
Dozno9

« Reply #291 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:24:04 »

True enough. He won't get the kind of latitude he's had here elsewhere. Thing is, does he realise that?

I think anyone employing him would should know what he brings with him.

The thing is though if he leaves he would take the entire back room staff with him so anyone coming in would have a full compliment to fill.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:26:13 »

I've been on Mars all day and only heard the news of Wray's departure about 20 mins ago.

Pretty gutted to be honest, especially as it appears the decision wasn't his.  The next week or so is definitely going to be interesting both in the boardroom and on the sidelines. Another roller coaster ride ahead on the tracks of Swindon Town FC!

Obviously people are concerned about Di Canio walking and I am too.  However, I'm also slightly concerned about Nick Watkin's opinion on it all.  He's a good friend of Wray's and to lose him as well would be a complete disaster for the club imo.

Thanks Jeremy and good luck.  The best chairman I can remember.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:26:51 »

I think anyone employing him would should know what he brings with him.
True. Hence why I think his opportunities to leave may be more limited than he realises.
The thing is though if he leaves he would take the entire back room staff with him so anyone coming in would have a full compliment to fill.
That can be a positive as well as a negative - often a new manager will want to bring in his own people anyway, as Di Canio himself did, so saves having to pay off the old ones if they leave with the guy who brought them in.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:27:33 »

I agree, I think a this is partly to show PdC he is running the team and not the club.
They've brought some one in who's prepared to say 'no' to Di Canio. We all know what the result of that will be when it happens.
nochee

« Reply #295 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:29:02 »

Has anyone read the washbag's take on the subject?

http://thewashbag.com/2012/10/15/a-black-day-for-jeremy-wray/
Dozno9

« Reply #296 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:29:48 »

He's also pretty new to all this and there won't be many people lining up to take him I imagine as you say.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:30:44 »

No need really. Give him enough rope ....

Maybe. You have managed to post more in a day than you have in about the last 2 years though. Welcome back! At least someone seems to have enjoyed today.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:34:16 »

I think we also have to look at the revenue PDC has brought into the club, whether in getting televised games, through his own success (inc the Johnstones anyone) encouraging extra on the gate (home and away fans), more eager sponsorship or selling a few extra shirts or letters on them.

Spending 66.5% instead of 65% of NEW financial limits hardly puts PDC at the helm of a Leeds or Pompey living the dream approach.

Is budgeting for mid-table a sustainable strategy?  When most clubs compete each season for the same players, what makes a club succesful?  Money or sometimes the reputation of the manageror the other playing staff for those on the up prioritising success: PDC v Chris Wilder anyone?

Any young manager of ambition will press for players and budget and will prioritis success on the pitch over other worthwhile goals.

Did I miss something or did PDC simply "buy" 8 cup wins against higher league opposition, a Wembley final, a league championship followed by sixth place in the league above in the last 15 months?

Is Chesterfield's League 2 championship and make do approach to League One the better approach?

Does anyone really think we will get a better manager who will spend more modestly and somehow create a lasting dynasty?  PDC has been politicking in wanting to know if there has been a change of plan and it looks like he has lost.

Eventually either PDC would have outgrown STFC or STFC would have outgrown PDC but as J Wray said it is a shame to leave halfway through a project. 

I don't think this would be the right time for us to lose PDC
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 20:35:28 »

Has anyone read the washbag's take on the subject?

http://thewashbag.com/2012/10/15/a-black-day-for-jeremy-wray/

Yeah, but its just fairly well written guess work. I think you have to come to the conclusion we want to kerb spending and/or reign Paolo in.

With Sir William immediately confirming his task will be “to secure new investment to support the programme of ground redevelopment and to co-ordinate the execution of the Club’s longer term strategic plans” he’s clearly focusing on the long term sustainability option, not necessarily coming out in support of securing funding now to allow Di Canio to rebuild his squad.

Is just a re-iteration of the club line from the beginning of the season, I don't think its significant the new boy is saying it.

Not slagging the Washbag, I enjoy reading their articles and listening to their podcasts.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: